Have you cooked ON your bike WHILE you ride?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by markk53, Feb 6, 2009.

1. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw the camping/cooking thing and it made me think about the times I've seen where people cook stuff in the engine compartment of a car. They put wrapped food on the intake or whatever. I wondered is it possible on a bike? Has anyone done it? If so, how did you do it and what did you make?
  2. Tall_Canuck

Tall_Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great question and I will be curious to hear the answers.
    If any bike could do it I would nominate my K bike.:lol3
    She is one hot biotch.
  3. bryantjt

bryantjt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quite a while ago in an accessory catalog I saw a hot dog cooker that was made for sleds. Essentially a big covered pan that you used metal straps to attach it to the expansion pipe under the cowl. As far as bikes......no I've not seen anything like it but the header on my KLX250 did cook a nice hole in my armored overpants.
  4. dirty ol man

dirty ol man Ridin' Fool

Oddometer:
    My buddy in Seattle is an excellent fabricator, rides a KLR. In '07 we were touring the backcountry in MT & ID, wrapped breakfast burritos in foil, laid'em on the head pipe of his bike, 45 min later...hot to go. He said he'd make a burrito oven for the following summer ride together. Sure enough, we meet upin Pinedale WY last summer and there it is. A stainless steel retangular box fitted to the muffler w/ a hinged door on the back-I think he has tooo much time on his hands...I told him he should market them here & that klr board thingie and would sell a shipload of'em. Funny story...we came off the Magruder Trail last summer to the MT side, stopped so Jon could wet his line [fly fisherman] and a couple of dudes pull up on KLR's and while we're talking Jon grabs a piping hot burrito off the back of his bike...the guys were like...uh? If I wasn't so inept at this computer thing I'd post a picture:cob

Ride on...dol
  5. Ola M

Ola M Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suppose there's room for two foil wrapped sausages in the GSX valve cover gaps. I'm going to try this.
  6. inline4

inline4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw an episode of Alton Brown on the Food Network where he tried to use a 12v cooker on a BMW, but it blew the fuse and he arrived with raw meatloaf. The cookers are used by truckers in the doghouse, and it appeared to be about the size of a loaf of bread. There are several models out there, if I recall they are high amp, but I don't know if anything else is available.
  7. markk53

Oddometer:
    For some reason this is starting to "ring a bell" in my mind... I think I've seen some sort of pan deal that someone clamped to a muffler too.
  8. Megamoto

Megamoto Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer:
    You know...I think I've been here before.
    I've cooked on my bike.

Must have been 40+, concrete motorway and black leathers.

Even Daisy started playing up, must have evaporated the fuel in the carbs.
  9. mick

mick speedtrippy

Oddometer:
    Stiring the noodles is a bit difficult.
  10. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a slightly famous (infamous?) book written about engine-compartment-cooking called 'Manifold Destiny'. Reproduction issues are still available today... the originals are collectors items.

http://www.amazon.com/Manifold-Destiny-Guide-Cooking-Engine/dp/0375751408

Cruise-Control Pork Tenderloin - Cooking distance: 250 miles
    I like this one because it's soft and tender, and is a great treat for the end of a long journey

Ingredients:
    1 large pork tenderloin, butterflied
    3 tbsp Dijon mustard
    2 tbsp dry white wine
    1/2 cup red onion, minced
    2 tsp rosemary (fresh), crushed
    Salt & pepper
    Blend together all of the ingredients (except the pork) and spread across the inside of the pork tenderloin. Close up the pork, triple-wrap in foil and place on a medium-hot part of the engine. Turn once (125 miles) during cooking.

-- above snipped from http://www.wisebread.com/cooking-great-meals-with-your-car-engine-the-heat-is-on

11. Montford

Montford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For many years I ran a Honda CX650 Turbo (a superb bike even by todays standards) which ran very hot.

Behind the V of the engine under the fuel injectors there was a space that you could snugly slide a tin foil dish into,the disposable kind with the lid you can buy in most supermarkets,if I was heading off on a long run or to a rally I could just pop something in there and eat it when I arrived.

I always used things that just required heating through, like tinned chillie, curry,hot dogs and my favorite Haggis.

Unfortunately I have never owned a bike since that this trick works with and i like the idea of just using disposable containers rather than constructing something.
  12. markk53

Oddometer:
    Kind of wonder if this is something that might work on some exhaust mounted container...
  13. AzB

AzB Fattest thin man

Oddometer:
    If you're going to do something canned, make sure to vent the can. DAMHIK.

Az
  14. KRS

KRS Sand.... My Nemesis

Oddometer:
    I live in Arizona and ride during the summer so yes, I've cooked while riding.... the only problem is I AM ON THE MENU ! :kboom
  15. jdaniele

jdaniele Long timer

Oddometer:
    MMMMM just add bacon and a bun:D

[​IMG]
  16. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    Here's some tips on the car-beque.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Food-on-Your-Car's-Engine

I've heated some beenie weenie's on the bike after stopped, but that's about it.

Got to be careful http://www.bustedcoverage.com/?p=7591 :razor
  17. frtzl

frtzl Mors longa, vita brevis

Oddometer: