Ultra Light Batteries

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by herrhelmet, Oct 17, 2010.

1. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I'll see about freeing up some funds for this, then.
  2. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    Are we talking a double battery system? Cause the bike won't run without the bat. So you'd need both attached at the same time. Just wondering what the wiring diagram would look like.
  3. herrhelmet

herrhelmet Land n sea adv

Oddometer:

I think he is thinking of using it as a jumpstarter battery with both connected, but the best plan is just to relocate under the seat with a connector and no need for the other one. You can put a potted flower in the old tray and have it stick out like one of the VW beetles....:lol3
  4. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    hello
    I'm looking for some sort of a backup battery for this years trip, as the bike I am building doesnt have a kickstarter, & I dont want to get stuck in the ass of the geography. You think this style battery would be a good backup to carry in my bag, just in case?

Thanks, Doug
  5. herrhelmet

Oddometer:
    It's a perfect backup battery because it can sit for up to a year without needed a trickle charger. What bike are you riding?
  6. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    03 Harley 1200 Dirtster XL/GS
  7. herrhelmet

Oddometer:
    If you go to

www.testsycl.com

---in the Batteries section, the 6.9 AH has 360 CCA which is more than the OEM and is 1.8 lbs. Would fit into your touring bags and won't leak. Also a $15 ADV disount rebate if you buy one. We can put battery lugs on the cable ends so you don't need connectors.
  8. Matttys

Matttys Matt the Balloon Guy

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to use one of these for a DR650 based street tracker project.

How will the lithium ion batteries hold up to charging via a trickle charger? I've got a fairly nice DRS 8 bank charger for AGM/Gel/Standard batteries, but how can I trickle charge the lithium ion batteries. I realize that there is much less of a discharge rate; so would you suggest that there is no need to EVER externally charge these batteries?

Also, you suggest the 4.6 AH unit for my DR650 single?
  9. herrhelmet

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the DRS 8 bank charger, but charging on a desulfate mode will damage them. Battery Tenders are fine.

These batteries will hold a starting charge for up to 1 year without a charger.

I never leave mine on one. If you have a possible static drain like a digital clock, and leave the bike sitting for a while, it would give some peace of mind.

The 4.6 Ah should be perfect for a DR650. 10% REBATE if you mention ADV rider in online order.

Thanks,

Jim
  10. Matttys

Oddometer:
    Cool. My super 8-Bank charger can desulfate, but that's only if I keep the charge activated overnight. If I turn the power on long enough to charge that battery the desulfate mode won't activate.

10% off. . . . expect an order from me within a few days!
  11. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    jim, this is the answer!

i am putting an electric starter on the xr400 and there's no room for a regular size battery.

your batt is the perfect size. i will order once i get all the stuff installed.
  12. Matttys

Oddometer:
    Jim - I noted ADVrider on the online order, but I was still charged full price. Can you please let me know how the 10% rebate works?
  13. herrhelmet

Oddometer:

Sorry, missed that. I will send you a rebate to your paypal.

Thanks,

Jim
  14. Matttys

Oddometer:
    Paypal $$$ received. Thank you!
  15. Wylie

Wylie Gone fishing

Oddometer:
    Most excellent! Am I right in thinking that hydrogen is produced while these batteries are charing?

Maybe we could use some of that in the aspiration if I'm correct. :rofl
  16. kbuckey

kbuckey Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I'm about to do another longish (3000 miles or so) tour on my DR650 and the current battery is going on 5 years so I'm figuring to change it out. I'm a little leery of brand new technology, but this really looks interesting. Question, since I also commute on the bike (coldest so far 11 degrees F) and sometimes on trips it gets in the 20s, I therefor wear a heated jacket liner and use heated grips as necessary. Um, along with a GPS. On the other hand all my lights are LEDs (including two Solstice 10W) except my headlight, which is HID. I do have a digital voltmeter to monitor the battery. The 4.6 going to work OK for this?
  17. herrhelmet

Oddometer:

The 4.6 will work under these conditions and can last well beyond 5 years if you take care of it:

1. When you run all your cold weather gear your stator is able to handle the load without draining the battery, which sounds like it does if you got 5 years out of it.

2. You don't leave anything on without the charging system going...

3. For the real cold weather days, I recommend the quick disconnects and mounting the battery so you could take it inside. I use one on my snowmobile and do this. Never have a problem. I haven't tried one at 11F but at 20F it was a bit slow, but the battery self heats and gets stronger.

The racers who buy these all love the quick disconnects so they can just plug them in when they're ready to race... also if you leave them unplugged you can forget about them for a year without needed a trickle charger.

Jim
  18. herrhelmet

Oddometer:
    Lots of people are asking if the 6.9 Ah (12 Cell battery) will start a BMW 1200GS...

I don't own one, so I tried it on my Jeep. Started right up. So I now carry one as an emergency jump start when I go off road... in the glove box...!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ay187MCm3dA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes, the ADV 10% discount applies to all products except the 2.3 Ah which is already 20% off.

Starting tomorrow we will accept most credit cards along with Paypal and checks.
  19. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    I reckon the 4.6ah would start that car. :1drink
  20. mpanther

mpanther KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer:
    Would it be possible to get a 2.3ah battery made that is two X two?

I would guess this would have a size of 2" X 2" X 2.75"