Australasian Safari 2012

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Stagehand, Mar 8, 2012.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    Geebus... what more can the generous folks at the Safari office offer you blokes from OS...??? :huh:lol3

They'll ship you there and back free of charge, make a special award for best placed overseas (european, septic or asian) rider, PLUS offer a free start fee in the "big show" for the highest nominated "Dakar Challenge" entrant...:D:huh:1drink

All this in a politically stable nation with no border crossings, no radical extremist types (well there is this game they call AFL... :huh but that's been deemed incurable :wink:) and a half continent full of glorious desert terrain and weather... where the biggest risk to your well being is the ever so slim chance that you could be handed an (only slightly) less* than icy cold beer during the evening...

(*Though I have it on good authority that after the 2007 debacle... supplies of crushed ice have ALWAYS been well stocked for Safari since that time! :evil:1drink).

So in the words of Barry McKenzie; "What the flock are ya's waiting for ya' pack a' drongo's... pull ya' bl¤¤dy fingers out!" :thumb
  2. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Ok, you talked me into it. :evil

Septic?
  3. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Septic...a term for folks from "down under" ?

:rofl
  4. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    No septic as in tank, as in the rhyming slang for... y...

Ya' dopey syrup sucker... :lol3

EDIT: Oh... I get it... you mean "down under" (you),,, in Canukistan?

I appologise... you sir are an above average Syrup sucker! :evil:rofl

Seriously though... the deals on offer are as attractive as you will find anywhere... and the comaraderie and spirit of the safari (especially the good natured jibes) is second to none...

do it... you'll have a blast. :clap
  5. MODNROD

MODNROD Pawn of Petty Tyrants

Oddometer:
    Gday Stagehand.
    You'll have a good ride mate, that Beemer of Rooney's sounds bloody lovely through the bush, worth sitting out there all night just to hear the thing thunder past in the morning.
    To back up Troy's stuff, West Oz is a happy place, free from just about all the worlds ills, we even have a few flowers that time of year to make a pretty backdrop to a pic of you doing 100mph past an old shed or two.
    Almost unknown over here is unsavoury worldy stuff like lions, tigers, bears, AK47's, RPG's, and Collingwood supporters. You'll be right mate.:D
  6. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    :rofl

I'm still going to shake out my boots every morning. :lol3 We've been told since grade school here that all the nature (bugs, snakes, and marsupials) in Oz will kill you if it looks at you.

I cant wait to hear that bike, either :D bobs your uncle
  7. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Jason, I need to browse the new threads more often, you had mentioned doing this but just now found the thread.

Best of luck to you and if you are planning any T-shirt sales or whatnot to raise some funds count me in.
  8. Stagehand

Oddometer:

Thanks Doug, much obliged. I have a couple of gigs lined up that should help offset the lion's share. I think I will make up some stickers and shirts for the fun of it, though... will probably make them available for cost, like the airhead rallye team swag on Cafepress.
  9. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    New release from Safari:

New course, new terrain, new West Australian experience for Safari 2012

Date: 18-May-2012

Australia’s toughest off road adventure, the Australasian Safari, takes a new turn in September when it heads to the coast for a course covering more than 3000km of stunning but incredibly challenging terrain.

More than 100 competitors in 4x4s, on motorbikes and quad bikes will struggle to look straight ahead and not at the scenery when they will take off from Perth and travel north up the coast to Geraldton, through the wheatbelt and Murchison to tropical Carnarvon, station country and the start of the Ningaloo Reef, before finishing back at Geraldton.

In a shift from the dust, paddocks, and fence lines featuring in previous years, this year new terrain will be challenging. Sandy creeks, river crossings, vegetated sand hills, and natural landscapes are on the cards with some impressive and extreme coastal stages planned.

The course travels on mostly private owned land, meaning this will be the only chance competitors have to experience this otherwise inaccessible course.

Eventscorp Executive Director, Gwyn Dolphin, said it was great to see the 2012 Safari travel through some of WA’s most stunning and diverse landscapes in the Coral Coast and Golden Outback regions.

“The television coverage of this year’s event is guaranteed to be spectacular, and will provide valuable national and international exposure for the region and the State as a whole,” Mr Dolphin said.

Eventscorp is the principal sponsor of Australasian Safari.

The stunning Hillary’s Boat Harbour, on Perth’s northern beaches, will host the sunset Safari Show and Ceremonial Start on Friday 21 September.

The competition stages will start and finish in Geraldton, one of Western Australia’s largest regional cities renowned for its rich farmland, fishing industry and expanded port facilities. Geraldton are also the gateway to the Coral Coast, one of Australia’s greatest natural playgrounds.

Legs Two and Six will finish at one of WA’s favourite family holiday destinations, Kalbarri, known for its almost year-round sunshine. The landscape around Kalbarri is dramatic with limestone gorges and beautiful beaches.

Competition is bound to get fierce when Safari then heads to Shark Bay. Much of the area is made up of national parks and reserves but the course avoids these areas. Nearby Monkey Mia is known for its dolphins, which come to the shore for feeding.

At the mouth of the Gascoyne River, Carnarvon will host Safari for two nights for Legs Three and Four. Leg Three is tipped as the most spectacular stage in the history of Safari. Competitors will travel north through stations that border the Indian Ocean and Ningaloo Reef, providing truly spectacular vision.

Travelling east, the Kennedy Ranges will be the backdrop for competitors as they tackle rocky outcrops, red sand dunes, spinifex, wattle and mallee trees – it’s no wonder this is a favourite spot for 4WD enthusiasts.

Safari then heads inland to the Shire of Upper Gascoyne for Leg Five, and a double overnight stop in Gascoyne Junction. This is a region that is synonymous with the challenges and the romance of early station life. The area suffered devastating flooding in the summer of 2010/11, and the small community is drawing deeply on its pioneer spirit, determined to rebuild the town bigger and better than it was before. Earthworks for a new caravan park are under way, with a new fuel stop and pub also planned. Townsfolk assure organisers they will be ready to welcome the 500-strong Safari entourage!

The final leg will bring the competitors back to Geraldton and the Finish on Saturday 29 September.

Event director Justin Hunt said community support was vital in ensuring Safari can travel offroad in WA.

“We’ve been overwhelmed by support, camaraderie and excitement as we’ve travelled to plan the course and meet with landowners over the last few months,” he said.

Whilst a shorter course this year – in 2011 competitors travelled almost 4000kms – competitors will be forced to race at a lower average competition speed due to technically challenging and rough terrain. The course will be complex for riders and drivers, making the Australasian Safari true to its title of the toughest off-road challenge in Australasia.

For details on entry or to register interest visit www.australasiansafari.com.au <http://www.australasiansafari.com.au> .

Moto entrants have the new opportunity of entering the Dakar Challenge, with the highest placed MOTO competitor who has registered for the Dakar Challenge receiving free entry into Dakar 2013. For full regulations visit the Safari website.

Updates are available on Facebook and Twitter at @austsafari and check out last year’s event on our YouTube channel – AustralasianSafari.

Media contact: Janine Pittaway, jpittaway@brightcommunications.com.au <mailto:jpittaway@brightcommunications.com.au> +(61)418911796
  10. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    </mailto:jpittaway@brightcommunications.com.au>
    <mailto:jpittaway@brightcommunications.com.au></mailto:jpittaway@brightcommunications.com.au>
    <mailto:jpittaway@brightcommunications.com.au>Those competitors competing on large BMW's who were lulled into a false sense of security by prior competitors are boned :rofl

</mailto:jpittaway@brightcommunications.com.au>
  11. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    You had me at "PD" :D this one will be at least a stone lighter :deal
  12. Sylvia

Sylvia vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer:
    Any progress updates?

:ear
  13. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    I know for sure he was at Jimmy Lewis's roadbook and rally school!
  14. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Yes! I did Jimmy's school and want to go back, right now :cry

NOt much more I'd rather be doing.

Just got word form the AMA just now that the FIM has issued the IMN# for Safari, so that means I my FIM license and start permission should be here by Friday, and at that point I will probably drop the balance of the entry fee at Safari.

Doing about an hour of cardio a day, either running or biking.

Following SAfari on Facebook, it looks as if they've just left on the third and final route writing walkabout. Will take three weeks but will have all seven legs written at the end of it.

Writing to lots of various companies about possible gear sponsorships. Totally new to this, so am just throwing things around in the dark, but have gotten positive responses from one or two people.

Thats about it... apart from trying to rip my lungs out of my chest once a day I'm just waiting for paperwork :D
  15. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Paperwork showed up today :D

ALso, Kriega backpacks were kind and generous enough to throw a backpack and a bumbag at me. I'm a fan for life. :freaky
  16. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet!!! i am so in to see how this unfold and follow your progress!!!

Best of luck!!!

Luc
  17. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Way to go Stagehand!

We (cloggies) are making good progress too and hope to get a few more riders in place before the containers ship from Europe;

18. Sylvia

Sylvia vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer:
    Looking good guys. Thanks for the updates. I love it when a plan comes together.
  19. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    [​IMG]
  20. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Haha, you should have heard about this past couple of days... like the A team and MacGuyver and Gilligans Island all in one 1200 mile weekend :lol3

Got to meet Neduro, and got a lot of first hand advice, and a humbling lesson in a finishing mentality. Invaluable, thanks man.

Got my FIM license and start permission in the mail :D

The Airhead Rallye Team will fly under a Rooney Racing banner, I am proud to say.

Gagnaou, c'est bonne te voir encore, et merci beaucoup!

TehDutch I look forward to meeting you guys.