GPS Pricing Deal Fest - Post that good price or deal here

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by 9Dave, Jul 12, 2008.

1. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    just picked up a Garmin 62stc at sportsman's warehouse on sale for 299.
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    The Garmin 62SC is available from GPSCentral.ca for $249 until Christmas. You can ask your favourite store to price match, if it's easier for you.
  3. rurman

rurman Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    i'm a bit of a fan of these cheap automotive GPS units and adapt them for adventure riding. i've done a comprehensive write up on them here.

they are now a superceded model and getting very hard to source... it appears that garmin are steering away from allowing users to upload routes planned in mapsource or basecamp to these gps units, presumably to force everyone to buy the expensive models like zumos.

one of the few last batches is being sold by an australian ebayer here who claims to be an authorised dealer so the warranty applies. i just bought one and it works fine so am taking his word on him being an authorised dealer. anyway they seem to be very good value at $88 posted in the listing here, given they used to sell in the shops for $300.

very cheap setup combined with the garmin topo maps v.3 at dick smith for $49... used to be $199 but version 4 is out now.

then just buy the RAM waterproof case and mounts from Johnny Appleseed for around $70. i'm not affiliated in any way with any of these retailers so assume there's no prob with mentioning this stuff, mods please let me know if there is.
  5. enookway

enookway Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer:
    Garmin appear to be heading the way of a lot of "device" manufacturers. Less and less control over what you can move about and to where, and from what software, and heading toward online registrations and increasing "big brother" restrictions.

I bought a GPSMap62 and it reminded me of itunes. Had to go through online registrations and consume a shirtload of download data just to make it work (firmware update:huh - its brand new FFS!) and you were never to sure what it was doing.

Once set up it had way less functionality than a 10 year old etrex.
    Seems a few others have discovered this as second hand etrex's are starting to hold their value.
  6. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:

Not sure which planet you're on where an eTrex is better or more valuable than a 62, but the last eTrex Legend I got a few weeks ago was given to me at a Pawn Shop.

They can't lose any more 'value' if they're free. And I gave it away after getting it home.

Better than nothing, but only just.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
  7. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lol. Still got my old yellow etrex. Just sits there, looking at me. Can't even give it away.
  8. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean. I'd be embarrassed to give an original yellow eTrex away.

Sent from my Nexus 7
  9. enookway

Oddometer:
    Random selection of recent ebay listings:

Vista HCx $113
    Vista Cx $99
    Legend C $81
    Vista HCx $112

Cheap, but not giveaways.

These are $AUD. If we paid US retail prices they'd probably be giveaways after a few years here too.
  10. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Your main point was that an eTrex was somehow 'better' than a 62. How does eBay pricing make your point?

Merry Christmas!

Sent from my Nexus 7
  11. enookway

Oddometer:
    The ebay pricing was relevant to my second point, that they are holding their value, and not giveaways here anyway.

I didn't want to bog up a "Cheap GPS deals" thread with a lengthy off topic spiel, but as you have asked:

Garmin 62s vs Etrex Legend/Vista

1. Active Route list:
    62s - does not auto scroll down to active point, each time the screen is opened it goes to the top of the list. You have to manually find where you are.
    - does not show distance and ETA from current point as you scroll through the list. Only way to see distance of each point from the current location is to select each point in turn which takes you to the map page and only gives distance.

Etrex - has the option of displaying 2 data fields which can be selected to show distance, eta, time to, etc to each waypoint as you scroll down the list.

2. Routing
    62s - no warning of approaching waypoint. It just counts down distance and then jumps straight to the next waypoint. If your not watching you miss it.
    Etrex - has a detail screen of intersection rotated to track up orientation when approaching and passing through waypoint. Displays this breifly 2 minutes out from waypoint and then at 30 seconds, as well as an audible alert.
    This function dissapeared from the Lagend and Vistas between the C and Cx versions.

3. The above function may "appear" when autorouting, but for that to work you need to buy routable maps (like Garmin Topo or Ciy Navigator). The sales guff mentions the 62s can do autorouting but fails to mention you need to spend another $200 to make it work.
    There are free options like openstreetmap which I haven't researched.
    The point is a 10YO Etrex did it.

4. USB external supply.
    62s - When connected to PC GPS can't be turned on to check if data loaded
    When external power energized when on battery supply (ie car ignition on) GPS turns off then re boots, then loses current route or goto point so has to be set again. Tried different power settings. No change.
    Etrex - When connected to USB can be used as normal. When turned off it retains current loaded route or waypoint. So you can turn it off at your lunch stop then when you turn it back on it picks up from where you left off.

5. 62s - When Loading Routes from OziExplorer it wont auto load the associated new waypoints
    Etrex - loading route auto loads associated waypoints.

6. 62s - When Loading waypoints from OziExplorer it doesn't overwrite duplicates. GPS memory needs to be cleared each time waypoints are loaded otherwise it ends up with multiple copies and fills up waypoint memory. Doesn't show multiples in the waypoint list though.
    Etrex - loading duplicate waypoints will overwrite existing.

7. 62s - When "finding" cities, the text based search is very slow.

8. 62s - Waypoint and Route manager only give you the option to delete all, not delete individual waypoints or routes.
    Etrex - allows individual waypoints and routes to be deleted.

9. Route options not explained in manual (the manual is a joke), ie Direct Routing must be selected to avoid routing error if no auto routing maps are installed.
    No mention of requirement for additional maps for auto routing function.

10. Profiles not explained in manual. The difference between Classic, Geocaching, Automotive, etc profiles not clear.

11. No mention anywhere of what the "Adventure" function does

12. 62s - Geochaching waypoints requires direct download from Geocaching.com. Loading a waypoint with a geocaching symbol doesn't show up as a geocache under "find".
    I presume this is for the paperless caching function (again only available to premium members of Groundspeak - $20 a year)
    If the waypoint is loaded from Oziexplorer it will overwrite the existing GPX file for a particular Geocache and effectively change it from a Geocache to a normal waypoint.

I often include Geocaches in a route, so to get around this I had to import the geocaches into Oziexplorer, create and download the route, then re send the Geocaches direct from Geocaching.com so the "Found" button appears on the compass page and it can log finds in the calendar.

Etrex - simply changing the waypoint symbol to geocache will make it appear in the geocache list, and then give you the "found" button on the compass page.

13. Mapsource and OziExplorer can't import saved tracks from GPS, only current track. Saved tracks need to be imported as a GPX from the archive folder within the units folder structure.

14. Editing the welcome screen to include your contact details requires manual editing of a text file. There is no way of doing this on the unit itself

These were the shortcomings I found within the first week of owning a 62s. Some may be improved or even solved by upgrading to Basecamp. I didn't get that far.
    I posted these comments on a number of forums, including ADV, asked Oregon users (same firmware apprently), and also sent a query to Garmin tech support who didn't reply.
    So far no explanation from anywhere on any of the above points. Plenty of criticizm for criticising Garmin, but I will gladly stand corrected if someone can give me a constructive answer on any single point.

Granted the 62S gets a satellite fix heaps faster, and can do some funky stuff like wireless transfer between units, but for what I do, the Etrex does at least 14 things better than the 62s.
  12. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    But bog it you still did. See response in a new thread.
  13. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Thought it was a pretty decent deal so I'm passing along the info. Oddly enough it is 299$ at GPSCity.com.
  14. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that is an interesting deal!

I've had a 60CSx now for over 5 years and it's just starting to act up. I think it was $150 just to exchange it for a refurb with 90 day warranty.. This 62 is clearly a better deal, but there are a lot of disappointed ex-60CSx user reviews. USB external power instead of the rubber 4 pin?... shuts off after 45 mins?.. cheap squeaky plastic?.. I don't really need any of the new features either. Oh well

I wonder if there are new handhelds coming out soon
  15. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    I'm an old 276 user but it is getting really wonky after 10 years of abuse. Cracked it open and soldered a new button battery to the mother board but I figured for 199 I couldn't go wrong. If my 276 actually works at least Ill have a spare. I like GPSs that have buttons. I can navigate the screen while riding by feel on the 276.

16. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    FYI, Sygic is still offering 30% off plus an extra license on whatever map you buy.
  17. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    I noticed that many times as well. I mount the 60 as close to my clutch hand as possible and easily hit buttons without even looking. I really noticed how much I do that and time saved when I tried to navigate by map, and when half the buttons on the 60 broke. I think I'll trade it in for a refurb.. the used 60's are selling for ridiculous prices on Ebay.
  18. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    I just posted a 60Cx as well as an Oregon 300 for sale in the parts section of the flea market in case anyone who might be interested.
  19. Sertguy

Sertguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Hootowl

Hootowl Long timer

Oddometer: