Phx, AZ - Anthem to Wickenburg - Box Canyon

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by DurtKlod, Feb 7, 2012.

1. DurtKlod

DurtKlod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday, AZTom wanted to take a loop ride from Prescott to test out his new Rekluse type clutch on his 650. (It's not a Rekluse but I can't remember the name of the actual company... so until he chimes in...). We met north of Anthem at Table Mesa and I-17. From there, we buzzed down the gas line road, around the southern end of Lake Pleasant and back up the west side to Castle Creek, and then over to Buckhorn Wash. From there, we came into Wickenburg and then up through Box Canyon. Once I got Tom homed in on the right road north back to Prescott, we split up and I pretty much turned around and followed the same path back.

The route...
    [​IMG]

We kept moving right along and so did not stop for hardly any pictures. Box Canyon...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a video...
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HLXdoKmC3Bs" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

For me, the ride was a total of 146 miles. I think it was a lot more than that for AZTom though. The day was pretty uneventful and I was making really good time until I got back to the north end of Lake Pleasant... flat front...
    [​IMG]

While I was fixing this thing, I had several tourists stop to ask directions and one offered a ride which I politely declined. This guy was a real ASS as he just walked right by and didn't even offer to help...:rofl
    [​IMG]

I'm sure gettin' tired of flats. It seems like here lately, nearly every time I go out, I catch a nail of some type.
  2. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    That picture is funny... it looks like you removed the fork..:rofl
  3. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report. That is one of the rides I want to do next time I get that far south.
  4. DurtKlod

DurtKlod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Other side!
    [​IMG]
  5. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Tom for showing this old guy all the new places. A little cool when I left Prescott at 7:30 temp was 23 deg. If it gets any more fun than Box Canyon I can't imagine where. My second go round with the Revloc auto clutch, they are no longer in business. Sold it & bought it back. Made some changes in it & it woks like it should awsome!! I got 185 fun miles upon pulling into my garage. That looked like a Burrow you saw, one of my distant relatives Burrows/Burroughs spelled different but same family. I apologize for his indeference I will notify the family about his behavior:lol3 I came the back way up into Yarnell. While closing a gate along the way these two old guys( about my age:D) came along on Quads. They were from Wickenberg just out exploring a little. They asked me where I had been riding & where I lived, I was at 135 at that point & I think they thought I was lieing or ought to be commited. I got no pictures but what a great ride. Thanks again Tom.

PS looks like the camera is at the perfect angle. Great video.
  6. Brain

Brain mr. self destruct

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Hey, good to see the crutch actually works. Nice ride.
  7. DurtKlod

DurtKlod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeh, I was going to send you a PM with that picture... I was too slow.:rofl
  8. knecht

knecht Pain Killer

Oddometer:
    That place is very nice. I was there in December, unfortunately in a land rover, and not on a bike. But you take what you can get.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  9. azshtr

azshtr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I notice your camera has a very noticeable magenta cast in the center. Or is it my imagination?
  10. DurtKlod

DurtKlod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, your right. I noticed that it seemed green around the edges. It's actually the digital camera on my new Garmin Montana GPS. Perhaps there are some settings I can mess with to improve the image.
  11. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    DurtKlod, what's your opinion so far on the Montana GPS? I'm still reading the long thread on this and I am not ready to pull the plug on the purchase until I know the bugs are worked out.
  12. DurtKlod

DurtKlod Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm loving it and have not experienced any problems... YET. So far, it's been riding in my pocket or my handlebar bag. Just yesterday, the RAM mounts showed up and I mounted it to the handlebars. We'll see how it holds up after a couple more rides on the rough stuff.
    I wanted it for two main reasons...
    1. So that I could come back home after a long ride and download the days track into Mapsource for further scrutiny and to share on here.
    2. So that when I'm out and about and I come across a strange road, I can pan around on the GPS and see where it goes... and more importantly see where it comes out.
    It's done both of those and much more. I've not experienced the battery problem yet and if I notice the screen orientation flipping around while riding the rough stuff, I just found a setting that locks it into the horizontal or vertical position.

I'm not real impressed with the camera but I think I can mess with the settings some more to get it right.
  13. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    WOW $630 bones... thats a pretty hefty price. What does it do other than pictures and directions???:rofl
  14. DurtKlod

DurtKlod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another thing that attracted me is that it's got a big touch screen that's easy to read in a variety of lighting conditions and has lots of detail. I see a lot of guys shading their screens to see through the sun glare. Shouldn't have to do that while you are riding.
  15. surlywill

surlywill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great ride. I am up in Chino Valley near Aztom. Did a run out to Bagdad today thru Hillside to Stanton with a stop of lunch at the Arrowhead Cafe near the green frog on 89. maybe will hook up sometime... surlywill
  16. DurtKlod

DurtKlod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. Once it warms up, I've got a loop I want to do that runs out Williamson Valley all the way to Walnut Creek and then south through the back country to come back in at the Alto Pits on Iron Springs. If'n I can remember, I'll make sure to invite you along!
  17. surlywill

surlywill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have done a loop north of Camp Wood thru Walnut Creek a few years ago in a 4-wheeler. Have not done south of Camp Wood road on my KLR. heard its pretty rough. I try to stay on forest roads and easy trails, to old to crash antmore:1drink
  18. marksbonneville

marksbonneville Long timer

Oddometer:
    We did a loop south of campwood last fall, not a problem for the KLR's that tagged along with me.

I have not done the Anthem to Wickenberg run before looks like a great trip that I need to do before it gets hot.