1190 Adventure "Flashing Brake Light"

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by XsilverGS, Nov 26, 2013.

1. XsilverGS

XsilverGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 1190 has a flashing brake light which occurs on bumpy road surfaces, according to following friends. I have read on here that other have the same problem. I mentioned it while on the KTM stand at the NEC yesterday but they do not know about this problem.

Does your bike have the same problem?

If you do please reply and I'll make this thread known to KTM.

Many thanks
  2. pinglow

pinglow Adventurer wannabe!

Oddometer:
    "They do not know"???

I seen one of two youtube videos even the front LEDs are flashing away when the bike is on the move.

http://youtu.be/LXi-UjW7kuI 2:20 onward
  3. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every LED I've seen does that when filmed, it's not perceptible to the human eye when viewed directly. It's a side effect of a rapidly flashing light source and the frequency of the camera taking each still frame. Kind of like filming a TV gives you visual interference.

This seems to be distinctly different than what the OP is seeing, which sounds more like an intermittent ground or similar
  4. Martyred

Martyred Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeapp i have the same on my R. Could be solved by an software update. Or you need a stronger spring for the rear break pedal to go back in the normal position...
  5. XsilverGS

Oddometer:
    There must be more of you out there with this problem?
    Please report it here so we can make KTM aware.

Many thanks.
  6. dgardel

dgardel Orange contaminated

Oddometer:
    check the free play for the rear brake lever / stop switch
  7. 6732cash

6732cash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Throttle not opened wide enough:D:D
    djroszina and Barekat like this.
  8. Paulev

Paulev Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I reported the same problem a couple of months ago to my dealer. According to people following me on the road the brake light flickers under hard acceleration changing gears. Still got the problem and I've seen it reported before so I'm guessing some sort of fix will come along eventually. I'm not too bothered as I can't see it when I'm riding it.
  9. HeatXfer

HeatXfer Bad knees

Oddometer:
    LEDs will only flicker with AC current. I presume the DC voltage of the 1190 is regulated and at a steady +12vdc?
  10. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, Audi / MB LED running lights do this in videos as well.. Sounds different than the OP's brake light issue.
  11. XsilverGS

Oddometer:
    Hi again

I would prefer it if posts came from those that have the Flashing Brake Light problem please.
  12. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Distant related issue, but my 950 had a loose connection under the seat that caused my tail light to flicker, My buddies 990 had a loose connection on the headlight fuse that caused the headlight to flicker..

BTW that rear connection was a pain to get at, my luggage racks had to come off to get the side plastic off and let my fingers in …

Dave
  13. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    same situation with my bike - hard acceleration and the brake light flashes away as if a noob is riding the bike - farking annoying!

I'm gonna try and disconnect the brake switches to see if it goes away (but why do I have to do KTM development work?):deal
  14. thierry2

thierry2 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    I have exactly the same problem flashing at high acceleration or speed change.
    This has been reported to KTM France in August 2013, I was told that there would be an update of the software of the motorcycle.
    To date, after several stimulus nothing has been done.
    Here is the response of service quality:
    "This is called ESS and is controlled by an electronic unit of the motorcycle, after contact with the plant I have just been informed that some motorcycle have a bug in the software of this function and flash fire stop becomes too sensitive and turns too quickly. A software update should remove this bug, "

Forgive me for the translation of this post made ​​with google because I do not speak English.
  15. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    OK, I asked my dealer if they were aware of the flashing brake light issue...... Yes, they are, "when the traction control kicks in it gives a quick flash " <rolling my eyes> I'll probably have to wait till KTM Austria wakes up.... :norton

They also initially told me that the DRL light setting is supposed to default to ON after every ride....... <rolling my eyes>
  16. thierry2

thierry2 n00b

Oddometer:
    I got confirmation yesterday by the quality France. He has a software update is available at dealerships to resolve this ptoblème.
  17. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    thanks - I would love to know if that update actually fixes the problem
  18. Todd-Squad

Todd-Squad See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer:
    Why is this a problem. When I buy a new bike, the first mod I do is to add a brake light modulator. I'm thrilled I won't have to do this when I get my 1190R.
  19. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    does the brake light modulator flash the lights when you accelerate? if so, then you won't need one
  20. Todd-Squad

Todd-Squad See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer:
    No, just when you brake. I didn't realize you were talking about flashing during acceleration.