Tank Guards

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by The Misinformant, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Chrisbarnes1

Chrisbarnes1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice pics--many thanks Myron.

Just a couple of points of clarification.

The "yellow" ones are a carbon/kevlar mixed weave--and the kevlar is a "$£%^&" to trim as you might expect.

Its a shame that it doesn't fit so well at the bottom on the 03--they look the same and its a reasonable fit on a 05 tank?--The mould actually incorporates a complete wrap around at the bottom to box the petcock in--but still leaving an access hole and hopefully just enough room to remove the tap itself--my problem was inner growth on laying up in the mould ( a silly "mistake"), and the box section would not fit over the tank lower--hence I had to leave just the outer area for fit. I intend to split the mould and widen it so that the final box section design can remain.(allows for growth on lay up)

On bolting--- this is just a single point of contact--my view is that a "loose" fit siliconed in place will provide flexibility, depth--combined with the toughness of the protector itself. If you have ever tried to remove a flat sheet siliconed in place I guarantee that you will have to destroy the sheet in the process--I can't see these falling off or moving in a hurry--the only time you will need to do it is if you are replacing them--and even if the tank is scratched the new covers will cover the scratches/scars .

Don't rush with orders just yet---if there is enough interest I'll develop the petcock version--However, the design in plain carbon is certainly a lot easier to do and I can make a few of these a little quicker.

The trouble with this sort of thing is that its a lot of work to make just a few--perhaps thats why no commercial concern has taken it up. Please also note that these are not full vacuum bagged commercial quality (yet):clap --its not my "trade" so to speak.
  2. braaap!

braaap! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fan-bloody-tastic :wings ChrisBarnes1,

your CFguards look the ducks guts... please count me, as being on the list of your future customers..... mines an '04 model.

[​IMG]

otherwise, in the very near future.... I might just have alot less fuel capacity! :rofl

100kph 'flat' down a gravel road evened out the deep ugly scars though :D

regards,
  3. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    A few posters have had bad luck with silicone holding the Japanese guards, although I do not know if they used the silicone properly. Could have been an installation error.

Bolting: I guess you know where I am talking about; but if not it's at #2 below. My thought was in order to make a second contact spot to wrap it around the aft edge of the tank, which would also protect the areas of the tank not vulnerable to a tarmac low-side - in case of a crash on rough ground (rocks) or some other hard object. Or does this make the construction to complicated?

This might be a silly question, but you did get the kevlar-specific scissors eh? You probably already had ones that work for CF. Just a thought.

Ah, the combo fabrics. Then one very serious question: why aren't you using the black/orange combo fabric?!? KTM baby!

[​IMG]
  4. Chrisbarnes1

Oddometer:
    Looks like the carbon/kevlar shape will cover the damage--I did my base moulding on a downed tank.

Cutting the Kevlar is not a problem--its just if you are trimming the edges--it doesn't respond too well to the usual abrasives and can leave some little "feathers".

Is orange weave available?--didn't know this?--contact company?

Bolting point noted--the only complication is growing the mould to allow for thickness growth when laying up--a "right angle" is ok--but a "U" section more difficult----if its just holding would some small prefabricated brackets do the job (in aluminium)--these could be pop rivetted to the final moulding--or perhaps bonded in afterwards? :clap

Chris
  5. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    does basing your moulding on a downed tank mean that it will fit the downed tank best and not one with all it's material? or was the downed tank just superficial damage?

How about a good ole' dremel on the edges? You could also contact BigTwin (he made CF/kevlar guards for the 950 folks) for his finishing secrets.

Here is a source for the orange/black weave (hybrid fabric):
    [​IMG]
    http://www.shopmaninc.com/hybrids.html
    They also have green, yellow, red, and blue (2000 tanks eh?)
    I haven't bought anything from this company so this isn't an endorsement.

You could use part #2 (aluminum) as your bracket to attach to the guard after curing... :evil
  6. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    Its nice to see someone getting this done. Oh, the orange, IMO, looks LAME! Remember not all of us have orange tanks.....
  7. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I don't either, but standard CF look is pretty bling-bling IMhO. Not that I hate it, but I thought that a little color might look good, especially on an grey/black 03... :evil

Probably need to do some PhotoChop to see. :eyes
  8. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    Dude, that pickup musta banged your head real hard !:eek1 (I'm a fully paid up member of big banged brain brotherhood too)

The sombre shaded six 40 ADV section of La familia might not be impresed with you suggesting the pinicle version of the Adv be messed with.
    :mulie
    We don't need no stinkin' Photo chop. :type

We have creepers bike for trying out cruel and unusual colour combinations / scheme's!

:rofl :rofl :rofl

O.k. Creepy, version 46.8 (the White whale) looks shweeeet !!:tb And I'm jellous of your Rezman seat.
  9. Rub Al Khali

Rub Al Khali Stroller

Oddometer:
    Count me in if intend to do that guards and if it is possible to ship them to Italy. I would need a pair made of CF/KVR in blue and black for my Adv '98. How about the price?
    Bye
  10. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with sweaters rjf. At least you know they are workin'! :getiton

I am all for a dash of color here and there. I wish I hadn't been so brain damaged right after the crash or I would have asked for the orange Renthal bars.
  11. Velocibiker

Velocibiker Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer:
    I'd like the guard to cover more of the lower lobes. Have it come up to just below the lower vent hole....it's not just the leading edge that takes all the abuse. Kind of "J" shaped.
  12. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    If anybody is counting, add me to the "interested" list...:ear
  13. Chrisbarnes1

Oddometer:
    We seem to have a bit of interest from all over the planet--and a variety of preferences on design.

I think I'm warming to make new moulds--this time using wax sheet to grow the the tank before I cast the moulds--should allow for lay up, make for a better fit, and allow me to do a wrap around protection for the petcock. This is going to take a little time--and I'll also experiment with vacuum bagging on the old moulds for a better internal and external finish--this shouldn't take too long ( and I'll post pics in plain CF when done). For the second generation I can then make in a material to suit the bike--and the recipient can trim a little to suit their own preferences if they wish. The weather is getting a bit warmer so its a bit easier to burn the midnight oil in my garage at the bottom of the garden--I don't have the standard US basement--we don't go for that sort of thing in the UK.

On cost it will need about $40 or so to cover material--then we have postage--and perhaps a little bit to cover my effort. I've had a look at the colour options--amazing--I don't know whether they will be available in the UK--and If not I'll investigate whether the US firm will ship abroad--some don't (and postage is high)--and the other issue is minimum order quantity. If people can live with plain CF then life will be easier.

Be patient and I'll plod on--its one of those projects that requires real bursts of enthusiasm.

I'm off to Snowdonia next weekend (a traditional BMW club camping weekend--I'm still in the club!)--I'll either use the Adventure--or if its really salty and snowy then I'll use the old 86 Tenere (modified to suit the KTM Gobi panniers--pic attached)
  14. braaap!

braaap! Long timer

Oddometer:
    hi CB1!

appreciate your work on developing these! I agree, plain CF / kevlar is the way to go.... the colored mat is a bit sus!.... 'rap-bling' rears its ugly head?

Imagine, in the future, everytime one of us (me :D) decks the bike.... and boasts, "yeah this cool guy from UK made these, saved my tank a million times!''

nice blue10 by the way.:thumb

now, get back into that shed!....

:whip

15. scottmoto16

scottmoto16 Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy Chris,

Put me down for a set , for my 2005 Adv.

Haven't dropped it yet , but have come close a couple of times.:yikes

An extra bit of protection , for when it happens ,and it will , would be nice.

My vote for colour , plain carbon or kevlar is great.:thumbup
  16. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    I'm down for a set, I only need a right side one !:cry ( I've had a Bex, a Cuppa tea, and a little lie down on that side twice :doh)

Perhaps us Aussie's could combine our orders if the freight is gunna be high.

There was a dude from South Oz that was going to make some, posted a bit earlier, maybe his, including freight will cost less. Maybe he'll not bother now someone else is doing it.
  17. braaap!

braaap! Long timer

Oddometer:
    must be a left hemisphere thing?....:D

[/quote] Perhaps us Aussie's could combine our orders if the freight is gunna be high.[/quote]

good idea! that would surely reduce the post cost and hassle for CB1 CF Industries
    you voluntering to be the local distributor rjf?

:deal

thinkin' I might (need) get 2 sets

[​IMG]

:D
  18. Velocibiker

Velocibiker Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer:

Yup. Been there done that many, many times. Except for the color of the bike, that's 'bout how I ride (or not). I find the lady loves to run instead of creep. Once I start messing around on the tight goat trails or try to follow the 300 EXC guys, I just continue to add more and more scars to the tank.

Something to help would be nice as long as we make sure it's actually effective protection and not just some bling-bling squid crap.
  19. IronDawg

IronDawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chris....Put me down for a set as well.

Do you have a number of takers yet?
  20. Chrisbarnes1

Oddometer:
    Sounds like there is plenty of interest. I tried vacuum bagging with some success--but on the original "straight " moulds. Still not good enough to market so I'll keep them as a spare for mine. Anyway, I now need to do the job properly and make new moulds from gel etc that will take some use and also be constructed to make vacuum bagging easier and more effective.

Please be patient as its a bit of a long process to get good moulds, and a good fit and finish.
    I took my Adventure to Snowdonia this weekend just gone--a BMW rally but 3 950s and my 640 made up a strong KTM leaning. The weather was unusually good for this time of year--but salt and muck on the way back required a thorough cleaning job--nearly decked it on the road with a front end slide on a corner--the second time its happened on the Metzeler Sahara enduros---are there better tyres out there for road work as they are also wearing down pretty rapidly?--pic attached.

Chris:clap