Camel ADV Products

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Camel ADV, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks :thumbs It's been a battle at times but I'm hoping there is some smooth sailing ahead :freaky
  2. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    paypal sent
  3. Camel ADV

Oddometer:
    The website is up and running. Currently accepting PayPal, credit cards later this week.
    We have stock ready to ship!

www.camel-adv.com
  4. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    I'm currently on tour but managed to get the first production Camel Tank install. See HERE.

Although I didn't install it myself, I watched and it was pretty low tech. Remove pannier brackets, add tank brackets, drill two holes in the trim panel with provided template, splice into the vent lines and reinstall pannier brackets with tank. Simplified, but that's close enough. The detailed instructions are included as well as on the website when that gets sorted.

Someone can do an install pictorial here if they like.

My impressions:

In a word - Awesome.

Light and discreet, it won't be noticed when not needed.
    Self priming and works simply, no pump or wiring. KISS!
    Having my bike set up perfect for me, I can now ride for hours without the worry of finding a gas station. More miles per day.
    With properly balanced cases, I hit the twisties with both tanks full no prob. It's a loaded GS, not a street bike so it handles fine for what it is.
    Installed in mostly useless space down low, not like a Rotopax etc.

Things to Consider:

With both tanks and panniers full, it was a bear to get on the centre stand. Obviously.
    Load your left case heavier (my tools and spares in there) to keep things balanced as much as possible.
    Low speed manoeuvering with full tanks and the F's tall first gear requires finesse. I nearly fell over on a new van. :eek1

If I had to nit pick:

I realize this is a first round product with people clamoring to get their hands on it asap and it was a massive achievement to get this far with many pitfalls and learning requirements. My hat's off to you Cory.

With that said, I noticed that with my OEM Aluminum topcase it's sometimes difficult to get the nozzle in the filler. The filler is positioned toward the inside so that an airspace is created while on the side stand to allow for a 5% expansion. Not really a concern but YMMV with different topcases.

I fear I'll lose the cap. Dropped it twice as it slid off my panniers. When I get home I will try to drill and tap the inside of the cap to attach a bathtub chain and a T wire to put inside the tank. Just like a spring loaded ceiling hook thingy, something like that, we'll see.

Hopefully the price will come down with sales volume but every new quality product has to cover initial R&D and start up costs. For an OEM like setup with a professional feel, I am NOT complaining. Keep the milk crates and the lawnmower gas can for the KLR. :D Even if it doesn't it's still a deal and one big load off my mind!

You'll have to get your own, mine's not going anywhere. Errr, it's actually going EVERYWHERE.
  5. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for Review/Preview Reaver.
    I will have a Camel tank on my F800, just as soon as I can remit payment to Cory.
    An excellent idea with the filler cap retention. Let us know how that works out.
    edit:
    CamelTank website is up and running. I have my order in.
    SIX gallon fuel capacity will make the F800gs a PERFECT road bike
  6. Camel ADV

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the review Darryl, glad it's working well for you :thumb

The stock stainless muffer is 9.88lbs. The empty tank weights less than the pipe on the opposite side (even if it's an aftermarket unit). 7L of fuel at 1.62lb/L is just over 11lbs so the full tank isn't anymore unbalanced than a bike with a stock muffler and no tank. Being that the pipe and the tank are only 6" from the centerline of the bike, the imbalance will have little, if any, affect on handling :wink:

Since this tank was intended for adventurers, I made the cap with one of the most commonly available caps specs I could think of...a Honda Civic oil filler cap. In a pinch, replacement caps are readily available everywhere. Of course due to the many brands available, I can't say that their o-ring will be gasoline resistant like ours so use at your own risk!

Cory
  7. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    That's good to know. I saw today that the cap is bored out on the inside for lightening so a hole drilled and tapped would penetrate the top, depending on the wall thickness. I'll be fine as long as I don't forget to screw it back on before I leave.

People have always looked at me funny when I fuel cause the hose goes in the side instead of the "Tank". Now I fuel up like an old car in the back too. One attendant came over to figure out where the fuel was going today. :rofl

Again, no complaints but as an Aircraft Mechanic, I'm programmed to be critical.

Yes, you've tried to think of everything. THANKS!
  8. Camel ADV

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the feedback :thumb
  9. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had the good fortune to be running a Camel tank for a couple months now. Mine is one of the pre-production testers Cory put into the field for evaluation and feedback. I can't say as I notice any change in the handling or balance of the bike with the tank on and filled. I certainly notice the improved range.

I too thought about a tether for the cap, but really haven't had an issue with it being loose. I've always filled up the tank with the bike on the center stand, and the cap sits nicely on top of the tank next to the filler opening. I do find you need to pay attention when filling as you will spill fuel if you don't go slow for the last liter or so. As for getting the bike up on the stand, it is a bit of a bear when loaded, but no worse with the tank in place really. I had a large pelican case top box on, and had no trouble with access for filling, but I did have to get to it directly from the rear of the bike. You just need to remember that when positioning yourself at the pumps to make sure the nozzle will reach.

I've run quite few tank fulls through to date and have had no issues whatsoever with the operation of the tank. It draws down first until empty keeping the main tank at full level. If you happen to open the main cap, the fuel does not siphon across and spill out either as the suction is broken, and the Camel tank is at the same height so it won't gravity feed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  10. McCardigan

McCardigan happy Budda

Oddometer:
    G/day Cory

No wonder you don't have any hair left to pull out:evil

Now, I would like it camouflaged so that it doesn't get a bullet hole in it from an over keen shooter, (Man, that was one hellva moving animal:D)

And I would like a cup holder so my pillion can put her café Latte in!!

Sheesh!!

Chris with tongue firmly in check:D:D

Keep up the good work:clap
  11. Camel ADV

Oddometer:
    For all that have already purchased a tank there are some minor changes to the instructions. Check out our site for the current version @ Camel Tank Instructions

Cory
  12. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have (one) CAMEL auxiliary fuel tank in hand. installation details to follow.
    Thanks Cory.
    edit-
    45 minute installation, instructions very clear, no issues.
    60 mile test ride, fuel IS drawn from Camel tank, first, as it should.
    Minimum projected range at HIGH speed 300 miles.
    Maximum "ECONOMY-Range" likely 375 to 400 miles, with speeds held to 50 MPH
  13. URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER Getting There!

Oddometer:
    The install is easy and straight forward. The only issue I had was with the rear main bracket that you have to cut the perforated slits to install. My 2012 did not have the threaded inserts in the cross member. There were holes, but not inserts. It is an easy enough fix though. Just get two 5/16"x1.75" or 2" long bolts, four washers, and two 5/16" nylock nuts.
    Insert the washers onto the bolts, and insert the bolts into the cross member from the front of the cross member towards the rear through the camel tank cross member bracket. Install another washer on each bolt, and then the nylock nuts. Torque each to the 18lbs ft. Facing the bolts towards the rear gets the excess threads out of the way and hides them under the plastic cover.

Everything else was a breeze. The tank is Extremely solid when mounted. I have the Touratech Zega Pro Panniers.
    I did opt to use Loctite blue on the two forward mounting bracket bolts to the subframe, and a small drop on the main rear 15/16" nut that holds the washer to the bushing to prevent it from ever vibrating loose.

It seems like a high quality product.
  14. Camel ADV

Oddometer:
    Every bike should have those as that's the mounting location for the factory BMW pannier system :deal

I'm glad the rest of the install went well :thumb
  15. Camel ADV

Oddometer:

Hey Matt, can you post a pic of your subframe and the way you got around the missing factory inserts? It would be good to see.

Cory
  16. URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER

Oddometer:
    Cory,
    Let me know if you didnt get all five emails with the pics and instructions for my specific install and touratech zega pros.
    Matt
  17. Camel ADV

Oddometer:
    I did get them all. Thanks for sending them :thumb
  18. runnin4melife

runnin4melife Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This product is awesome, it truly is, the pictures for one do not do it justice! One thing I know is that a great photographer can make something that isn't beautiful look beautiful, but having this product in hand truly trumps any photos. Every component is highly refined, the billet gas cap is wonderful. As someone who has made a few things (novice at best) I know pride in one's work when I see it. Heck the directions are laser printed on nice paper! Packaging was amazing, and well protected which is truly needed for international shipping. I cannot comment on the items functionality but I have no doubt that it will perform wonderfully given the R&D and beta testing that occurred. This is truly a top notch product!

As soon as I install it I will keep people informed, directions are straight forward and I envision less than hour for complete install. :evil

If you have a 650/700/800 GS and ride it in the backwoods or on an adventure and don't want the big Touratech tank this is great! I have a Rotopax but that is emergency fuel, it sucks having to pull over for that extra fuel. I have increased my mileage capability dramatically with a simple bolt on item that is the epitome of professionally crafted.
  19. Camel ADV

Oddometer:
    I couldn't be happier with the feedback so far :D
    The project took longer than anticipated so hopefully it was worth the wait. I appreciate all the positive comments but constructive criticism is welcome too. The project is very much a living thing and suggestions on how to improve it will help out immensely with future versions :thumb
  20. URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER

Oddometer:
    Cory,
    The only issue I have found is the location of the fill cap. With the Zega Pro top case on, I am only able to insert the gas station fill nozzle a certain way/angle and with that the tip of the nozzle barely clears the bottom of the filler threads without spurting a bit of fuel back out with the fill nozzle on full stream. With this issue, I am unable to determine when the tank is full to start slowing the stream down. For the automatic nozzle shutoff to kick in, the nozzle has to be inserted deep enough into the tank to work. Moving the fill point forward or aft on the tank in line with the seam won't resolve the issue. It would have to be moved outboard an inch or so to get the angle right for the nozzle clearance needed. The Zega Pro top case has a rapid trap feature so I can quickly lift and offset the top case for easier access. Im not sure how other top cases that are hard mounted will be affected though. Other than that one issue the fit and finish are perfect. I am paranoid though about the cap being lost due to not being tight enough since I don't want to crank it down too tight per the instructions.
    Can you advise if there is an over the counter auto part replacement fit that would work in a pinch if one of us is on a trip and looses the cap until we can get a replacement. That would suck DD to loose it in the middle of nowhere. Thanks for a great product. So far. :evil