Oz/ Kiwi Ktm 690 Riders Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by rosscoact, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Sol Erzenberg

Sol Erzenberg Lost somewhere

Oddometer:
    Thanks Podge, will have a think about it & let you know in need.

Cheers, Sol..:thumb
  2. fearless phill

fearless phill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks guys will pull it apart and have a look
  3. iliketoride

iliketoride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone running one of those lower temp thermo fan switches?

Is there any point in getting one or would it be just as beneficial to put a better/more efficient coolant in the bike instead?

any recommendations fella's?
  4. mickp

mickp n00b

Oddometer:
    If you're really worried, just put a manual switch in parallel with the thermo switch and turn it on if you really need it. When the motors not working hard just turn the bypass switch off. :clap Do you really care if the fan is running more than required. The thermostat will still keep the motor at the correct temp unless temps are extreme

Mickp
  5. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    I am running the cooler temp thermofan switch. In the USA the switch costs about $40USD and it goes right in no hassle. I believe it is the switch from a Suzuki LTZ400 4 wheeler. The switch is a worthwhile investment.
  6. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    The three of us that have just built the Rally Raid bikes have all put on the lower setting thermo switches because it seemed to be the consensus and Rally Raid UK sell them as part of all their 690 gear which means they have some evidence to say that others think they are worthwhile.
    Kato runs a seperate manual switch on his instead so that he can turn the fan on when he wants to so either way seems good to me. I never ran the bike with the original switch to be able to compare.
    Andy
  7. excTC

excTC Carbon Ktm lifeform

Oddometer:
    I have read about the 2nd 3rd gear mod. Whats that.
  8. podge NT

podge NT Podge NT

Oddometer:
    Put an aftermarket pipe on get re mapped, end of 2nd and 3rd restrictor
  9. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Looks like there's some 690 stuff going on Ebay atm.

Mods please delete if I'm not allowed to say that :deal
  10. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, I'm just using the standard setup on my 690E. I've never had any heat issues, even when I would have had them on just about any other bike. For me, the fan rarely activates and when it does it always keeps the temp well under control.

Even with a radiator leak causing the thing to be only half full, it was still more than capable of keeping the temperature down.

Has anyone ever actually had their 690 overheat? Once I went trials riding, and we were a bike short, so I tried it on the 690 (at one point I was laying on my ass in 7 foot ditch with the bike on top of me...). The temp never went over the point where the fan activates, every now and then the fan would turn off for a minute or two.

When I had a battery issue once (left the light on...), I sat the bike parked for *ages* with the engine running (someone crashed and broke their arm). Didn't overheat then either.
  11. ADV-Wes

ADV-Wes I'm not lost....yet.

Oddometer:

There's a few parts from one that's been ON FIRE?? :huh Is that the one?
  12. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's the one :thumb
  13. KTBen

KTBen Barrrp!

Oddometer:
    Hey fellas I just picked up a 690, just wondering what rear nobbys everyone runs. I'm thinking about a Michellin desert or something similar. Dunlop 908s are a bit to $$$
    Any ideas?
  14. edog200

edog200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    With this London to Sydney ride we are going to finish with an unassisted crossing of the Simpson via the French Line, west to east, Mount Dare to Birdsville.

On my 640, a couple of years ago I seem to recall using around 40 litres for the trip.

Does anyone have experience crossing the Simpson on 690s and if so, I would greatly appreciate advice on fuel usage. PM or public forum is ok by me.

Our bikes will be fitted with additional Rally Raid tanks that will take capacity to 27 litres, I think.....17 litres original, plus 2.5L x 2 on the front and a 5 L on the rear.

Cheers,

Dave
  15. philth

philth www.motorbikin.com.au

Oddometer:
    gday dawg
    i met a cuppla 690s at almost the exact halfway point last year and they were using around the same as my dr
    around 38 litres for 600 ks with flood bypasses
    the sand was firm and easy going
  16. mrwocky117

mrwocky117 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ranui & I crossed the Simpson a couple of years ago unassisted, stock tank + Safari tank + two 5L jerry cans, had about 3.5 L each left when we got to Dalhousie. Was just after the big sand storms in '09, plenty of soft sand with a fresh wall of sand on the top of each dune. If you take 40L you should be right.
  17. edog200

edog200 Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks mate. I thought it was around that. Having said that the way that rain is developing in the guts of Australia, we might be paddling through Eyre Creek.
  18. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Total capacity with the additional Rally Raid tanks is 22.5 litres useable fuel. I measured mine accurately. The standard rear tank is not 17 litres it is only about 12 with the Rally Raids holding just over 5 each.
    If you add the additional Rally Raid rear side tank that fits opposite side to the exhaust then that would give you an extra 5 to make it up to your 27
    Andy
  19. Oz-Strom

Oz-Strom Still trying

Oddometer:
    My 690 has started acting up a bit. Surging and feels like a fuel issue when in higher gears, but not obvious in lower gears. Thinking I need to get it looked at by a KTM mechanic. I haven't removed the throttlebody or tried cleaning the injector, but I think it needs a tune and remap in any case. Any thoughts on an obvious fault that could be causing theproblem?

Fuel pump and filter have been replaced recently, but it was doing this before, and I was hoping it might cure the problem - but alas.

I have heard Action on the Gold Coast know their 690s, but is there a Brisbane based workshop that anyone here would recommend?

Thanks
  20. ktmpunter

ktmpunter Explorer

Oddometer: