A short trip around the Black Sea

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwdoug, Jul 3, 2012.

1. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At the clubhouse, with Mehmet, Fern, & John (who is also from the UK)
    [​IMG]

The next morning, we headed to Sakarya with Fern, for a bike festival.
  2. 1TrackSam

1TrackSam Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pictures, that picture reminds me of the area north of Varna where I spent a week for work a few years ago. I can't imagine riding a bike in Istanbul, the old area was crazy enough with a driver who was rushing to make an appointment.:ear
  3. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

place on the right: Titiz Carsik Fast Food....titties + car-sickness are NOT what I'd call the right way to name a fast food joint
  4. Flys Lo

Flys Lo cool hand fluke

Oddometer:
    They got the first part right, then kinda went downhill from there...
  5. SR1

SR1 We gotta get outta this place!

Oddometer:
    In!!!
  6. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:
    I'm in again, I reckon I see most of the world through your RR's Doug :D
  7. RokLobster

RokLobster Far from sanity

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  8. quicktoys2

quicktoys2 ADVrider junkie :)

Oddometer:
    Awesome start once again .... I love your adventures. Look forward to following right to the end .... which would mean I will only get 3/4 coz you never finish your reports ... hahahaha:rofl
  9. Flying Monkey

Flying Monkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, as always, for sharing your travels with us, Doug!
  10. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    I havent had internet in awhile, but have been doing a bit of writing.
    But, I have been told that my writing is a bit like ex-lax. in small pieces, its just like chocolate, tasty and wont bother you too much.
    In large doses tho, it can cause irritable bowel syndrome.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The next morning, we headed to Sakarya with Fern, for a bike festival.

So we are heading down the crowded motorway from Istanbul, and I notice Poly & Fern had pulled over. I stopped, but could not ride back to them, as the shoulder was only wide enough to pull over every once in a while. This was not one of those spots. Luckily, they had stopped at a wide breakdown area.
    I got turned around (which wasn&#8217;t easy, as I had a 6 foot shoulder, an 8 foot bike, and a never ending row of speeding trucks in the outside lane) I got as close as I could to them, & walked back. Poly had broken a chain. That was weird, as the chain only had a couple thousand miles on it, & I checked it before we left, & all was good. I saw the chain in the road, but could not get to it because of the traffic. It was getting run over & flopping around under the wheels of the cars & trucks, so I figured it was pretty much fubar, anyhow. So I had to go find a chain. It took about 3 hours to find a bike shop about 30km away, it was a Honda dealer, who didn&#8217;t have a 520 chain, but a guy there called around & found me one, then he went to get it, had the mechanic cut it to 110 links, & I was all set. Of course we had to have some tea before I could head back. Haha
    I got back, the girls were still where I had left them, put the new chain on, & off we went.
    We got to the party about 10pm. Erol, who I had met a couple years ago had been waiting for us, & helped us get all set up, we camped with some guys from the Istanbul bike club.
    Saturday was nice, weather was good, we were right on a lake out in the woods. Many people arrived, I think about 1500 total. Saturday they had the usual bike games, and a band played. Then for some reason they had a DJ that played this horrible techno music at a ridiculous volume until 2am. I haven&#8217;t figured that part out yet. No one we talked to liked it, and no one knew why they played it so loud & so late. It was hard to sleep! ( Mark from &#8216;fit ear&#8217; ear plugs who I had met doing the IMS bike shows this past winter had made me a set of ear plugs, so it didn&#8217;t bother me as much. Poly was not so lucky)
    The next morning we packed up & headed east. Fern was also going east, so she traveled with us for ½ the day. It was nice for about an hour, then the rain started. It rained hard!
    Another guy we met during the IMS shows, Paul, from British Motorcycle Gear / Belstaff had seen my old wore out jacket, & given me a new jacket & pants, & Poly a jacket. I have to say, that stuff works GREAT! We both stayed dry and warm. Thanks Paul!
    We rode in the rain all day, & stopped right before dark, about 100km before Samsun.
    It had been a rough day!

We stopped by the fancy Harley shop, as I wanted to get a spare set of rear brake pads, mine are getting a bit thin. But as they wanted 125 dollars for a set, I figured mine would last the rest of the trip ok!

and if you notice, there is a bank right above the HD stealership, They are willing to help finance a set of brake pads, or maybe even some chrome!

[​IMG]

Then we had lunch at Popeyes. Damn I miss American food!
    [​IMG]

Poly, without her chain
    [​IMG]

Installing the new chain
    [​IMG]

I was really surprised, after the $125 brake pads, the chain was only about $40. and it&#8217;s the best Chinese quality! (I hope it makes it home!)
  11. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    Some pics from the bike fest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A local artist had some of his paintings on display

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> With Erol & Fern
    [​IMG]

breakfast included for the low entrance price of….free! this bread is called Semit, its really good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The ducks heard they may be on that nites menu, & all hauled ass
    [​IMG]
    Homemade camp chair
    [​IMG]
    I got on the local TV news
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> How to make a camp oven. Find an oil can & cut the top off
    [​IMG]
    Burn the oil out (very important)
    [​IMG]
    Catch a duck, & install it on a stick a la Vlad the Impaler (just kidding, its chicken, but the ducks were scared)
    [​IMG]
    Of course don’t forget the spices
    [​IMG]

Place the (now clean) oil can over the birds
    [​IMG]
    Move coals/build fire around the can
    [​IMG]
    Then go look at bikes & stuff for awhile
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Oh yeah, dinner should be ready. Tap on the top of the can 3 times with a long stick (can is very hot
    [​IMG]

And remove can
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chicken didn’t last very long. It was really good!
    [​IMG]

This 54 matchless showed up, the guy had owned it 40 years

[​IMG]
    And, back on the road again
    [​IMG]

15. Southpawman

Southpawman Overpowered by Funk

Oddometer:

And don't forget to put a rock on top so the chickens don't knock the can over and escape. :lol3
  16. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah Doug!!! Fun read as usuall!!! Hope we see you in the fall!!!!
  17. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmmmm......am I missing something here??? :dunno

Another great ride and report Doug!!

GodSpeed kids!! :norton
  18. Noone

Noone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sitting at a Cross Roads lookin' for a sign
    Doug, who owns the drifter hiding behind the tree?
  19. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    Patrick, I know, you are thinking that I messed up. But, actually that was merely a test to see if anyone was paying attention. I often put such 'mistakes' in my RR's on purpose, such as the Matchless pic. I guess you are the only one to notice it. There is no prize, only the knowledge that you are more astute & observant than anyone else.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->[​IMG]
  20. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The next morning, it was cloudy, but no rain. We passed thru Samsun where the week before there had been some bad floods. The road had been cleared off, but there was still mud on it, and we could see where the flood had washed over the whole area, washing away cars, & generally making a mess. I had heard that a lot of people died during it. We rode along the coast, & got to Ordu, where we spent the nite. There is a mountain next to the town, with a cable ar ride to the top, so we went on that. Great views, you could see for many miles.
    We were looking for some dinner, & passed by a window where a guy was making these small pizzas, so we decided to try them. They were SO good! Thin crust, with sheep meat & some other stuff on them. Its one of the best things I have had in Turkey, and they do have a lot of tasty food here!

Floods in samsun, at least the main road was open, we didn’t see the rest of the town
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Traffic sucked
    [​IMG]
    All of the rivers dumping into the sea were full of dirt & mud
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]