Let's petition Garmin to bring back the 276/376 series

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by notmybikemodelname, Dec 10, 2012.

1. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    I went thru four Zumo 450's and three 376C's. They aren't hardened enough for real dirt riding and I was using the damped Touratech mounts too.

If a Garmin product is dead it's because they know the real numbers for all the failed units and they killed it to save their reputation.
  2. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Actually, Like I said in earlier post, when I was in PV in '06 and drinking with a Garmin developer at a yacht show, I asked him about this same thing. He said that they ditched the 276/376 series simply because everyone was asking for the new touchscreen technology. He even said it was the best platform that they ever built.

Honestly, for the 10 years that I owned my 43 footer, I had one GPS, a 276. Never missed a beat and you can ask Herrhelmet about this, anything that could live on my boat for a decade had to be tough....or have a very strong liver. :freaky

My current 276 has been through hell and back and I've launched it off the bike at least ten times onto rocks, into mud and streams/rivers, dropped it off the roof of the SUV, etc. I did have a slight issue with it last week riding the Greenhorns, but it simply tore an electrical connection when it launched off the bike during a crash. Rewired it, and it works just fine. :clap
  3. notmybikemodelname

Oddometer:
    Designed obsolescence, I'm sure is a big part of it.
  4. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the 478 on the SE,,,,it really is very nice.....

Now that they are gone....I hate to say it but I am really liking the Montana....
  5. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, notmybikemodelname, I'm convinced and since you've taken the lead on this where's the petition? How do you intend to present a convincing result oriented offering to Garmin? As someone mentioned previously the 60csx I'm using also just ain't cutting it visual wise so I'm in with your program.
  6. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

I call that towing the company line. Need to drink with a former employee to get the truth.

:freaky
  7. notmybikemodelname

Oddometer:
    Just measuring the riding publics interest at the moment. If I can see enough interest in building a real riding GPS, then we can put somethign together based on the 276/376/478 platform and throw it at them to see if they'll bite. The tooling is still around in their warehouse somewhere, I'm sure. Just update the guts and move it on out. I know it's not that simple, but hey, remember when they came out with "new" Coke, the people spoke and they brought the "old" Coke back. Can't hurt to try. Besides, with running my current business and developing a new one, riding, the kids, the wife, the dog, paying bills and strip clubs, I have plenty of spare time. :lol3
  8. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    i prefer the RAM mount, knowing that if i loop my bike, the mount will break first before the unit. those Touratech expensive mounts are too rigid and i feel they wouldn't give/break. ever. :dunno
  9. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Maybe that was your problem; I just use a Ram mount. With a big hit the unit will move. I think rubber mounting is better for damping vibration.
    Not that I do anything on my big GS that I would call real dirt riding but I bottom the suspension a lot, mostly on rough paved roads. In fact I broke my rear shock in two at one point, I hit so hard.
    Anyway, none of that caused my 450 to fail. The screen shorted out, I suspect from water.
  10. herrhelmet

herrhelmet Land n sea adv

Oddometer:
    +1 I have 3 Ram mounts. I on the KTM 450, BMW F650 and one in my van.

I beat the shit out of all my bikes. I even let TBarstow ride mine in KotW 2011 and he sheared off the Ram mount completely.:clap 276 still works.
  11. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You didn't have it on a RAM mount, it was on a repurposed piece of a printer. I also gave you the super-moto style front fender that you really like.
  12. notmybikemodelname

Oddometer:
    Fixed. :clap
  13. herrhelmet

herrhelmet Land n sea adv

Oddometer:
    Damn. Guy can't get away with anything these days. Thanks Rob...:clap It had something that looked Ramish on it.
    But Tim redesigned for sure...

276s Rock! Fuck Zumos.
  14. RAZR

Oddometer:
    Zumos have to be one of the worst GPS's available.

276/376/478 are best.

60/76 are good.

nothing else matters.:norton
  15. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I really like my 450. The best accessory for riding I ever bought. :deal
  16. GoNOW

GoNOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love my 276, but I know it's days are numbered. The form factor is perfect and it has the features I need. But I am sure the problem with sales going down is the high price, and the old software. Fully kitted out, mine cost $800.

I would jump on a newer 276 if Garmin would just update the software/hardware on it. I use tracks all the time and it does not have enough track storage on it.

I like making tracks on Google Earth and downloading them to the GPS and visa versa. But the 15 track limit is not enough.

Does Garmin make another large screen GPS that does tracks as well as the 276, but can handle more tracks?
  17. RAZR

Oddometer:

do you ride offroad?
  18. S H I F T Y

S H I F T Y Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny this topic came up when it did. My 60csx just died. Something must have finally wiggled loose inside, it won't turn on at all anymore. I really want satellite imagery, so correct me if I'm wrong the Montana is my only option? I know there is a thread on that unit but it is a mile long and I don't have that kinda time.

I only had a couple of questions.

Can I use roads and rec and GPS Babel to load tracks the same way I did on my 60?
    Is there a limit of 20 tracks like the 60?
    Is the satellite imagery everything I hope it would be?
  19. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    No kidding, my 76CSX shit the bed on day 2 of LA-B-V - less than 2 weeks ago.
    One of the the battery contacts broke.
    To be honest, it kept cutting out and when I tried to bend it back into place I broke it.
    Anyway, it failed. I have a 14 year old eMap that I used on bikes, in a boat, and in a 4wd and it still works. The place I bought it from "hardened" it by adding silicone to some of the places that fail from vibration on handlebars...
    I talked to the gent that I bought the eMap from at the Long Beach bike show last week (Tom Myers of Touratech USA / Cycoactive), he suggested to just get another 76CSX off eBay, the old one isn't worth fixing. :bluduh

To be honest I never liked the tiny ass screen on the 76, I reckon a 276/376 would be a better replacement...

Good idea Rob! :thumb

Edit: I guess it's a common failure http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828974
    Maybe I should just wire USB power outlets on all my bikes... (I have them on 2 already :D)
  20. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heat. I've had issues with my Garmins cutting out in the desert summer heat. Have heard the same from a couple other inmates. The units just stop working. Mostly Zumos. Any similar issues with Montana or 276/376?

The units won't re-start until the temperature drops. That's a biggie that should be addressed.