Alaska June 2013

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Loro17, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    While I have been up to Deadhorse many times, and I really enjoy the trip, IMO doing the round trip in two weeks just to say you've been there seems like a waste of what could be a really nice two-week vacation. There is certainly a lot more to see - and better scenery for sure - in other parts of Alaska and northwest Canada. You'll really be pushing it if you intend to camp most of the time. When I do a trip with time constraints like you're faced with, it's ride all night every other night, motel on alternate nights. Making & breaking camp is just too time consuming. But... if you can do it and still have fun, more power to you.
  2. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The three guys I'm riding with haven't done a lot of long distance riding. I did a trip two summers ago of 4,500 miles in 7 days. Around Maine and then across Eastern Canada and around Lake Superior. I did the hotel every other night, for additional rest. I'm hoping the three guys I'm with will go for alternating nights camping and hotel. It does help.
    We discussed shipping the bikes back, and taking two weeks to get there. The consensus was go for it all. We'll see.. I've been around a while, I will have fun. If not, I'm not opposed to changing plans. Thanks for your advice.
    Jeff
  3. RonSJC

RonSJC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quick question, I just purchased a Pentax k-30 (primarily for it being weather resistant). How and where are you transporting your camera to have fast access for that great shot? I purchased a tank bag, but it seems to get really hot in there and I'm worried about the camera getting bounced around.

Any experience on the best way to carry a DSLR on a bike?

Thanks,
    Ron
  4. skidlid

skidlid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leaving Boone, NC June 2 to meet up with a buddy out in
    California on the 5th. Blasting across on I40. In the neighborhood and need a riding buddy? Just PM me.
  5. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus

Oddometer:
    RonSLJ,

I've carried a lot of cameras on my bike, mostly on a dirt bike pounding the trails and rock ledges in CO and UT. Point 'n Shoots go in a tank bag. I took my pro Canon SLR in the same tank bag without issue. That said, I have stopped doing that since my trips are getting longer now. I would recommend an all weather sling bag such as the one from Lowepro:

http://store.lowepro.com/sling-bags/slingshot-102-aw

It is added protection. The totally sealed bags seem to hold enough moisture on the inside that the electronics in some cameras have failed. These AW bags seem like a good compromise. You can get to the camera quicky and it is on your back away from driving rain and removed from shock. The AW designs come with a rain cover as well.

Stu
  6. Meriwether

Meriwether Following big footprints.

Oddometer:
    Hi hugemoth,
    I'm leaving Seattle for AK around 14th June on a red Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport, camping exclusively too, so I will keep an eye out for you.
    I have memories of Bend, I can laugh now, well, almost. In mid April I left Bend heading north in light snow, I was supposed to be on Hwy 97, heading away from the snow. In reality, I was on Hwy 20 heading towards it. D'oh.:eek1
    Regards,
    Mark.
  7. homelesspiper

homelesspiper n00b

Oddometer:
    Hoping to connect with some other inmates on the road. Its early for sure. I'm leaving from Sandpoint, Idaho and heading up to Jasper, Then onto the Forest Trunk Road. Connecting with the Alcan at Dawson Creek. Making a run to Fort Liard ( to check off NWT... been there done that..) Up the Alcan to Fairbanks by the 3rd or 4th of June. Girlfriend flies into Fairbanks on the 9th, so weather permitting I'll make the run north to Deadhorse. If anyone is crossing paths PM me and we'll meet up. Camping away from the tourist traps. Hope to see you on the road! Riding a red '91 GS. Loaded for bear..literally! :freaky
  8. lifeofadv

lifeofadv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm fixin' to leave June 15 for Deadhorse and Inuvik aboard a WR250R. I'm going solo but from looking at this thread, it looks like there will be plenty of company!
  9. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am starting from Seattle as well. I haven't worked out the start dates, but I am planning to put aside three weeks for the entire trip. My goal is to end this trip around the July 4th holidays, so I am trying to get my work schedule wrapped around that. Once I have something more concrete I'll update this thread.
  10. radbrad511

radbrad511 deer hunter

Oddometer:
    Some of us just want to ride!! Leaving Bozeman June 26. Going to the Sun Road, Dawson Creek, Teslin Yukon and back. 3800 miles and just 7 days to do it. Looong July days and a love of riding should make it possible. I will be solo on a Wee-Strom (nekked and flat black). Route flexible.:evil

Wave when I go by!!!
  11. enumclaw

enumclaw I just....don't know

Oddometer:
    My son and I are heading out from the Seattle area on about June 22nd, planning for a minimum 3 weeks. Planning for a big "loop" to include Inuvik, Prudhoe, Kenai, etc. Leaving the Connie at home, riding the V-Strom; he'll be on a KLR. Hey, he's young! :lol3 Camping most of the time. Gonna be a hoot!
  12. FastHotWheels

FastHotWheels Chris Dempsey

Oddometer:
    I Started a Blog for the trip; Preparation, Gear reviews, + photos, spot locations and Journal of the trip as it unfolds.

http://ridealaskasolo.blogspot.com/

13. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'll be about a day or so behind you. Leaving Fort Collins CO after work on 7/3 and high tailing it to Seattle/Vancouver...then slowing the pace. Same route intentions for now. Maybe we'll see you along the way!

Mike
  14. FastHotWheels

Oddometer:
    I will post my "Spot" positions on my blog (http://ridealaskasolo.blogspot.com)if you have a chance to check on the road, I will also post my intending camping locations hear soon, I may do a layover in Whitehorse or telegraph canyon area, you may catch up to me !
  15. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds good FHW...I'll check in on your blog.
  16. SpecialAgentNancy

SpecialAgentNancy & your little dog 2!

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  17. Philander

Philander Someday...

Oddometer:
    Leaving 21June from Ottawa to Edmonton, going through Michigan, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Alberta. Meeting my brother in Edmonton, then on to Inuvik...

Looks like it will be packed with ADVers.

Gonna smoke me a Cuban cigar at the Arctic Circle...just because.
  18. HellCat650

HellCat650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk

So jealous....damn Alaska is a looooong way away from the east coast.
  19. FastHotWheels

Oddometer:
    wow just over 30 days to departure, getting excited.
    It stopped snowing and its 55 degrees in anchorage. hoping for good weather but preparing for less!

some updates to the blog:
    Bike and kit, I will get in to camping gear and tools next

http://ridealaskasolo.blogspot.com/
  20. Stkmkt1

Stkmkt1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Everyone. I'm leaving Central Illinois on June 27th, heading for Deadhorse. Will be traveling up through Montana and do the IceField Parkway. Up through Tok and on to Fairbanks, arriving there on July 7th. Have rooms set up in Coldfoot for July 8th and 10th. Room set up at Deadhorse for July 9th. Set up to do the Arctic Ocean shuttle on the 10th. Then head back down to the States to be at the BMW MOA Rally on the 17th. From there, down towards San Diego and then back home by the end of July.

If anyone would like to ride along let me know. i am pretty much hoteling it the whole way and have already got reservations confirmed through to Salem, Oregon. Would love some company, especially along the Dalton.