The Blue Ridge Trail....... a work in progress

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by error cooled, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I was afraid that might be the case. I read through the first couple of pages of the thread trying to determine if that is the case and didn't see mention there. Thus, my asking for them.

Oh, well. It's looking more and more like I'm going to explore the paved roads between Front Royal, Marion, VA, and Paintsville, KY, anyway.
  2. turtlemoye

turtlemoye I'd rather not be online. Supporter

Oddometer:
    We all made a commitment to EC not to share the files. I know it can be frustrating but that's the way it goes. He also stated earlier that he was thinking about winding down the project and has put a hold of sending the files out.

I can tell you there is some great riding west of Harrisonburg. Check google maps and you should be able to find lots to ride in that area. Dunkel Hollow & Union Springs are a lot of fun but you better bring your A game if you are going to do it on a big GS. If you don't even know if you have an A game offroad or not than look for something a little more tame. Reddish Knob is nice and there are lots of ways to get there.
  3. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Thanks, turtle. I'll look that stuff up. I already have the roads from Harrisonburg to Elkins, then to Staunton on my potential plan for the weekend. But that's all pavement. I'll look for Dunkel Hollow, Union Springs, and Reddish Knob on the map.

I have done very little offroad on my GS. But, I have done a fair bit since 2003 on the KTM 525 I just sold and the XR650R I had before that. I'll be riding alone this weekend, so I will be very cautious on the GS. I'll turn around before I tackle anything that has too much chance of getting stuck or ending up with me pinned under the bike!
  4. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    ps. Turtle, it was reading your BRT ride report yesterday that turned me onto this. Thanks for posting that!
  5. WayneJ

WayneJ What?

Oddometer:
    You would do well to avoid Dunkle & Union Springs if you're going to be alone. There's a fair potential for F'n up that might leave you in a bad way without someone to help.

The road to up to Redish Knob is paved.

If I have the time, I'll PM you a mixed gravel/pavement route from Harrisonburg to Elkins later today. It will include Redish Knob, Spruce Knob, and will take you through the Laurel Fork Wilderness.

Are you OK with a couple of easy creek fords?
  6. macaroni

macaroni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're talking about Little Fork there wasn't any water to speak of last weekend same goes for Rough Run. The crossings we're bone dry.
  7. WayneJ

WayneJ What?

Oddometer:
    I said "easy". :D
  8. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:

There is more than one road.
  9. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I've done easy creek fords on my GSX-R. I'm definitely fine with them on my GS. :D

Thanks in advance for the routes, if you do find time.
  10. WayneJ

WayneJ What?

Oddometer:
    The road from Briery Branch/Moyers Gap south to the top of the knob is paved.

Is that better? :D
  11. turtlemoye

Oddometer:
    It's clearer but not the better road. :evil I suggest coming up FS road 85.
  12. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I see these places on the map. Are you talking about coming up 85 to Reddish Knob from the south? Or from the direction of Union Springs?
  13. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    sure, go ahead and piss off WayneJ, the guy with 40 years of experience riding those roads...the same man that plans offroad routes and shares gpx files as a courtesy.

i think i know my way around out there pretty well, at least until i ride with Wayne, then i get humble quick.
  14. turtlemoye

Oddometer:
    As stated there are a few ways to come up. If you want to do it on easy dirt come up from the south, there's the paved option CR 25, or the much more difficult route via Dunkel Hollow or Union Springs. US is the harder of those last two options and I can't recall if I've ever been on Briery Branch or not. As someone else pointed out I wouldn't do DH or US on a GS alone. If Wayne sends you a route I would stick to it as it was so eloquently pointed out above that he has more knowledge of that area than I.
  15. turtlemoye

Oddometer:
    I certainly hope that anyone who's been riding 40 years would have thick enough skin to not be pissed off by what I typed. If so I sincerely apologize, just trying to be helpful.
  16. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wayne's a teddy bear. Just don't mess with his tarp or his fire.:rofl

VAC
  17. WayneJ

WayneJ What?

Oddometer:
    You have a PM. :deal

I didn't think Reddish Knob was the primary destination, I thought it was Elkins.

I sent him a fairly direct, mixed surface route from Hinton to Elkins that I think would be good for somebody traveling alone on a big ass BMW. Some great roads with great scenery.

[​IMG]

He has the option to see Reddish and Spruce Knob if he wants to.

Hell, he has the option to ignore my suggestions and run US-33 all the way if he wants to. :lol3
  18. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Ha ha! Thank you!

I guess it's time to go home from work, starting charging GoPro batteries, and fire up MapSource (or BaseCamp, grrrrr).

My plan is to head out early tomorrow and not come home again until Sunday afternoon. So, look for a ride report Monday or Tuesday (if you care). :D
  19. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    Just moved the area so I really hope the GPX files will be available soon. Thanks for doing this and it looks like hoot!
  20. bankska11

bankska11 Where are we?

Oddometer:
    There are 4 of us riding the BRT this weekend. Starting in Wytheville, VA. Our first time out there...should be interesting.

Does Verizon have service in that area?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.