Insert clever airhead based title here ....

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by planktonnn, Aug 25, 2009.

?

I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...

1. Nice?

43 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. Nasty?

51 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Nasty but nice?

205 vote(s)
    70.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. planktonnn

planktonnn .also, i am a tw@rt

Oddometer:
    My 1ST Live GP

(embedding disabled)

+ 83 (full, well nearly full)

2. pjcr12

pjcr12 Stercus accidit

Oddometer:
    Re sidecar racing....I have no problem with that so long as I'm the captain,
    and it's offroad in something like the pic below. Wasp outfits are ace and
    when I win the lottery (any week now, surely to god) I intend to get a big
    nasty rig and stick a grunty airhead motor in it and get into the mud...

[​IMG]
  3. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Okay, but if you are to be Captain you'll have to wear that there Captains uniform -

[​IMG]
    Via New Cafe Racer.
  4. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Roland Sands Design have instagrammed the following pic with the caption 'bmw number two takes its first steps towards a new shape today.'

[​IMG]
  5. planktonnn

Oddometer:
  6. planktonnn

Oddometer:
  7. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Indubitably :lol3
  9. pjcr12

pjcr12 Stercus accidit

Oddometer:
    I'd definitely be captain if I had one of those snazzy outfits....but you'd have
    to wear one as well, so we matched

[​IMG]
  10. planktonnn

Oddometer:
  11. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm not convinced, but if you insist :lol3
  12. planktonnn

Oddometer:
  13. Dirtyboydeadly

Dirtyboydeadly AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer:
    I'm a happy bunny. my r100rs cafe is now ready for its mot.

Ive treated it to a 3.0:1 bevel box new diode board and a led side light bulb.

Just need a few road miles before Crashwell park :evil:evil
  14. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    It's been a day. Quite a day. A day of getting ready for an MOT

I got a new number plate, and fitted it to my shabbily fabricated rear end. It's not as if I was running one of those teeny* weeny illegal number plates. I've described the problem before so I won't go thru/ough it again, and I can't be bothered to go looking for the reference link - suffice to say that it was only 0.5mm too small, but PC Gonemad sometimes tries to ticket me for it. So now it has a 'proper' one. Tho/ough it was only 11 quid, drilling it was a moment of concern, as I can't afford to throw that much away because it is verily true to say that I am sorely needy, indigent, necessitous, straitened, destitute, penniless, poverty-stricken, poor, impecunious, impoverished, penniless, lacking money, destitute, unproductive, meagre, gaunt, miserable, pitiable etc.

I also got back the wheel I'd dropped off at Wizard Daves, fitted with the 2nd hand Bridgestone I'd got in from Motorworks. As requested it'd come back with an inner tube in it**, just as belt & braces. A while back I'd had a front deflation while zazzing back from rainy Luton, and though the tyre/ire stayed on the rim while I was at speed, as soon as I slowed to turn onto a junction of the dual carriageway leading into this here shit hole of a town the bike began to wobble & wander quite worryingly. The tire/yre had flatted and both beads had slipped down into the middle of the rim, and this meant that any attempt I might make to repair/reinflate with the gas canister of mousse I had in my tank bag was of course quite futile. That stuff will save the day, but not when there's an inch gap between the the rim & the tyre/ire. So in case I suffer a similar fate (tho/ough I am never going back to Luton) I thought I'd have a tube fitted. It may not work, but it might, and if that's enough to give me a shot at avoiding the wobbling/veering ride I had that night as the tyre/ire slipped from one side of the rim to the other, then I'm prepared to give it a go.

Of course I could have fitted the rubber myself, and indeed I delivered it to the workshop a few days ago with one bead slipped on the rim***, but I don't have the facility to balance them. It was thus simplest to drop the spare off & let them do it, then swap it over. I was also a little suspect regarding the bearings in the front wheel I'd had fitted on the DMW Airhead. Either that or the headstock bearings need to be pinched up... Anyway, I went to get the wheel back on Saturday and as I arrived at the workshop there were around 12 people there wandering about, one of whom was Dermot, a friend of DBD & I, who was there trying to get his Dominator started. It turns out it is his second Domi (?), which I didn't know because when I saw it there before (see previous posts) I didn't differentiate it from his other Olde English Bike. As it turns out he has two, the newer one
    that his brother had sitting around for years with a wideline frame, the other with a narrow backed frame. I think one has a 600 engine, the other a 700 but I don't recall which way round the cc's were distributed? I know very little about these classics as they are not BMWs. It turned out he'd snapped the kickstart on the wideline trying to get it running, and went on to complain about the quality of cheap Chinese kickstarts. But then, as I said, you get what you pay for. That, indeed, is one of the reasons I like Airheads, the (mostly) cheap price of new new stock spares - on the other hand the price of basket cases has rocketed over the last two years. I could do with a couple of spare K75s to rebuild the Me-MW, and look forward to a time when complete-ish donor Oilheads fall into my price bracket (£14.98).

After some gabbing he asked me to take part in a attempt to bump start the bloody thing, and tho/ough I'm not the most athletic of individuals I said I'd give it a go. The access road to the workshop is slightly sloped in the downward direction, which was a little helpful, but after two attempts I was gasping and the thing hadn't kicked into life. As we took a breather I commented that it seemed to be biting on one of the two cylinders, which I thought was the left, and while mentioning this to Magic Dave he suggested Dermot check if the right carb slide was stuck up. This turned out to be the case and after a couple of taps it slotted down and a twist of the throttle now produced a double click, which showed both slides were now responding. One more push down the slope was in order and it still juddered on one cylinder until I gave one last almighty push and the thing burst into twin cylindered life, leaving me gasping in a cloud of blue smoke. The bike still needs sorting, but at least this was a step forward, and I was glad in some small way to help bring the thing into cacophonous life.

I went in to grab my wheel, and in the process had to wander past a 'young-fellow-me-lad' that seems to have been working there on & off. I complained vociferously to Magic Dave that I had been after him to adopt me for years, and off I drove in the car I'd borrowed. Having got back to the bike I proceeded to assemble the relevant tools & swap the wheels over. On completion I was slightly dismayed to find a very slack brake lever, even after a good deal of pumping. You might recall from a few posts ago that I was planning on using the disks that were on the spare wheel. The only thing to do was to swipe a chalk stick around each face of the disks & take it out for a spin. The brakes were very poor, except when I really pulled on them, at which point the front wheel locked up at around 40mph, veered to the right & tried to skittle away to the left. As is the way with such things I had to rely on muscle memory and I quickly & intuitively let go of the lever and the wheel unlocked so the gyroscopic forces lifted me out of the potential lowside and off I went. When I got back and looked at the disks it was clear that the pads were (as is predictable worn into the previous disks, and with this pair the right calliper was barely clearing the chalk away on either side of the disk. This is of course my preferred method for gauging the adjustment of the ATE callipers on earlier Airheads. But then I hate those swivel brakes anyway. It's probably unfair of me, but I prefer the Brembos, and especially in this case the ones that come with the K series front end.

Whilst sucking on a swift ciggie I came to the conclusion that the best option was to swap the disks from old to new wheel, not least because the impending MOT will test brake effectiveness, and I didn't have the time or petrol budget to wear the pads into the new disks. I gulped & proceeded to try for a pitstop speed disk change, because I really couldn't be bothered, and the ambient temperature had just plummeted... Being careful to fit the correct disks to the correct sides I completed the job in a little over 10 minutes. Hardly enough to win the Bol D'Or but quick enough to solve my problem before I had enough time to get really pissed off. Another test ride proved the validity of my approach, and strangely the pulsing I had experienced coming back thru/ough the lever I previously reported was gone so either the disks and/or callipers are now better seated, or maybe the wheel bearings were the source, or the headstock, or something else of which I am undoubtedly too stupid to know... So there you are, feel free to guffaw at my ineptitude.

I do :lol3

* The inclusion of this word will immediate get this thread monitored for all the wrong reasons...
    ** FYI this Airhead has a K front end with tubeless K front wheel attached. The rear is a spoked Airhead type. Not the star wheels, I hate them. I'd be happy to run a K shaped late Airhead cast wheel, but most of all I'd like some Lesters...

[​IMG]
    http://jupiterhack.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/bmw-lester-wheels.html

*** Fitted facing the right way - refer to waaaaaay old post about how I spotted I'd fitted the front KR124 on my Suzuki GT250X7 the wrong way round while perusing a pic some 20 years later.
  15. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Coolio :thumb

I can't recall the available bevel numbers & I'm too lazy to look for references so remind me, the bevel is a high or low gear & gives better acceleration or better top speed?
  16. planktonnn

Oddometer:
  17. Dirtyboydeadly

Oddometer:
  18. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  19. Dirtyboydeadly

Oddometer:
    Re Bevel ratio's

2.9 is the best top speed
    I have been running a 3.2 but that is now on the blue one
    Picked the 3.0 up for £85 including p+p so a bargin as motor works flog them for £300

I have a pile of 3.36 bevels 4 sets of forks 4 seats 2 head lights 1 frame 1 subframe 3 swinging arms 2 pairs of rear shocks 4 or 5 handle bars.............

The list goes on
  20. planktonnn

Oddometer: