Super Sherpa thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by AZstrommer, Sep 3, 2007.

1. mel brooks

mel brooks Dirt Chick

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's not a problem! :D
  2. hondabuster

hondabuster n00b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Heres my 01 sherpa. Not many miles, but it sure is a fun ride. Ive got a trip planned for mid sept in the Black Hills.
    [​IMG]
    Ive got some extensions for both mirrors, so its much easier to see behind me now. I wasnt used to having to shift my body, so I could see over my shoulders.
    The red cap over the key socket, is to remind me, that theres a padlock in the rear disk...Its a good reminder for preventing those senior moments.
    The center black box is the hour meter/tachometer. Really handy for keeping an eye on what revs its pulling.
    Ive also changed both sprokets. I went one tooth bigger on front, and 3 teeth smaller on rear. The chain is stock, and didnt need to be broken. It will effortlessly cruise at 70mph now. Only downside, is that first gear is even more useless on the trail, its noticeably taller than stock. I had to modify a rear sproket from a klx300, as no one I know, has a 3 tooth smaller rear sproket for the sherpa. I milled out the ID, and added the correct hole spacing, luckily I have access to a CNC mill.
    Ive also changed the pilot jet, to a #20, and it starts and idles so much better, especially on cold days.
    [​IMG]
    Ive added some very bright red LEDs to the rack, and a strip LED light above the licence plate. Its pretty intense at night.
  3. Twinsteel

Twinsteel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boy that's a nice Sherpa. Musta been garaged most of its life. Mine probably sat out a lot as all my handlebar plastics are really faded compared to yours.

Where did you obtain that hour/rpm meter? I was thinking of something like that and yours is a tidy package. I also like the LEDs on the tail. Where'd you get those?
  4. hondabuster

hondabuster n00b

Oddometer:
    I think I got the tach from Aerostitch,about 40 bucks, and when ever the motor is running, it shows rpm, and when its off, it displays hours of run time. One wire hook up, to the spark plug lead. The leds came from ebay, 10mm and probably 50k mcd.
    Unfortunetly,it has seen lots of garage time, only about 2000 miles on it.
  5. GS Mac

GS Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bike! Its so clean! :huh Get out n ride the snot outta it.
  6. haydenslides

haydenslides K Flotto-Myers

Oddometer:
  7. Twinsteel

Oddometer:
    Borrowing some ideas from you guys, here's the first round of mods on my Sherpa.

I built a rear rack out of 1/2" square steel tubing, bent by hand, and attached to the turn signal mounts and the side cover bolt holes. An aluminum plate is attached with sheet metal screws across the two rails. I left the plate plain for now because I intend to mount a box there, just don't know what kind yet, probably a Pelican case:

[​IMG]

I'll also be building racks later for side cases. These will probably be a pair of surplus ammo cans I picked up for $15 each. They're actually cases for military night vision glasses and I think they're a good shape/size for this bike.

I had to move the rear turn signals for the top rack, which was OK because I didn't like how much the stock ones stuck out. So I got a set of LED signals and mounted them to the sides of the rear fender. I also installed an extra LED brake light onto the bottom of the license plate that I had leftover from a car project:

[​IMG]

In the pics you can also see the new Pirelli Scorpion AT rear tire on the bike.
  8. CalculatedRisk

CalculatedRisk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sherpa @ Devil's Den SP Arkansas this spring.

Attached Files:

9. CalculatedRisk

Oddometer:
    Sherpa @ White Rock Mountain this spring.

Attached Files:

• WRM.jpg
      WRM.jpg
      File size:
      61.7 KB
      Views:
  10. CalculatedRisk

Oddometer:
    Sherpa riding piggyback.

This is how I get to take the bike on family campouts.

Attached Files:

11. ny-wolcott

ny-wolcott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Summer-N. Catskills,NY; Winter-Ocala NF, FL
    Today I saw at Walmart plastic waterproof(?) pistol cases with hinged top doors that looked like they might fit nicely as side cases. Around $10 each.

I'm going to buy a set and see what I can rig.
  12. Twinsteel

Oddometer:
  13. hondabuster

hondabuster n00b

Oddometer:
    How do you like the tire? Im thinking it will be my choice for a new back tire. It should have better on road manners, and only give up a bit off road.
  14. Twinsteel

Oddometer:
    I love it so far. Not even 100 miles on it yet, and none of those offroad, but the street grip is great. If you want a tire that 'only gives up a little' offroad, this tire might not be it, from what I've read. It's supposedly a 90% street, 10% offroad tread.
  15. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    I'm doing some tuneup work on a friend's Sherpa next week. Would someone have the valve clearances handy?
  16. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Intake: 0.10-0.19 mm
    Exhaust: 0.14-0.23mm

Adjustment is with shims, so if they're out of spec, you've got some work on your hands.

Don't forget some high-temperature RTV to seal up the half-moon ends of the valve cover gasket.
  17. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
  19. MillCreek

MillCreek ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer:
    Wow, so the Sherpa is coming back to the US in '09. I wonder when it will actually hit the dealers.
  20. Twinsteel

Oddometer:
    Sourdough: Nice job on the mods. Is that a homemade rear rack? Nicely done. I like the tube storage where the OEM toolkit used to mount. I was thinking of something similar. What materials did you use and how do you use that storage space?