WSBK: Monza (Parabolic Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, May 8, 2013.

1. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    I saw the race but I also saw Sykes on the podium.
  2. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    Sykes has protested and been re-instated into 3rd Place. For now. :deal
  3. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    Sykes passes the guy, then blows the next corner, straight lines it back on track in front of him and still gets to keep the position!!!!! WTF
  4. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    I love the history but Monza has to go. The chicanes are a joke and really disrupt the racing and are dangerous. I know it could happen anywhere and no one got hurt but the SS race was a joke with crashes taking out bikes they way they did.
    The whole Sykes this is Mickey Mouse for a top level world championship. I get why he was reinstated, but the fact that you can blow a turn like that and not lose a place is bad. Plus coming back onto the track is dangerous as hell.
    They need to find another track and let Monza go, and its rich history wil be just that history.
  5. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could easily say the same about Imola too. But I feel that if you were to go
    To either of these tracks for a WSBK meet, you'd probably change your mind on it.... (Maybe you have?)
    Having said that, the first chicane at Monza is a disaster waiting to happen, as was proved with the Brendon Roberts/Max Nuekirkner incident, and should be smoothed out. Apart from that, Monza is just fine. And then some, a classic high speed circuit! And we could do with a few more of those....
    Another one coming up, Donnington! (Go there too, if you ever get the chance, it's fantastic!)
    Oh yeah, and the SPEED of Monza is waaaaay understated on TV...
  6. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    IMO Atmosphere versus safe/fair racing is not the same. I have never been to a race in Europe, the only overseas track i was at was Suzuka for the 8-hour. I am sure it is an amazing time and an amazing place, but safety comes first. Chicanes do not make for safe racing, fix them and stay.
  7. Turder

Turder Throttle engineer

Oddometer:
    Beemers were using interesting engine management. They dropped cylinder(s) in the middle of slow corners to make it 2 or 3 cyl engine for long periods (not just milliseconds) for better traction management. Once out of it all 4 cylinders chime in and off they go normally. Interesting take on traction control.

With this they can have a 2 cyl 500cc or 3 cyl 750cc for those slow sections that is much easier to manage than full blown 1000cc engine with traction control cutting in.
  8. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    What Monza really has in its favor is that it produces awesome racing. Imola does the same. That is a huge quality in a track IMHO.

And as a rider, corners like the Parabolica leave me with grand fantasies. If a corner looks awesome on TV it is for certain 10 times more incredible in reality.

BTW I think Michael van der Mark was injured and couldn't restart the WSS race.

If anyone has not seen the final run of the WSS race, i recommend you do! :eek1
  9. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why hasn't the management at Monza shaved the hump down at the entrance to the corner right before the chicane?

I think it has been there for at least 2 years or longer.

Or is it an added feature for the riders to deal with.......
  10. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    The track dips down to go under the bridge which supports the classic high banking of the old circuit. The bump going into that corner is created by cars. If they spend the millions it would take to fix the bump, the bump would just come back in short order.

Something should be done to stop the riders from rejoining the track so easily.

Guintoli owes Sykes a free bump off the track in the future.

:wink:
  11. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Honda was doing this three years ago in MotoGP. They aren't nearly so crude these days. :evil
  12. HoneyBunz

HoneyBunz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great riding by Melandri. Having 4 bikes clustered together at the front in both races kept it interesting. They didn't dice with each other so much in race 2.
  13. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    just like the 1981 caddy v8-6-4!!!
    http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1658533_1658524,00.html
  14. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Good grief.
  15. roadholder

roadholder Long timer

Oddometer:
    210 mph from the Aprilia in qualifying. Yikes!
    Always good racing at Monza though and the draft tends to keep clusters of bikes together and promote close racing.
  16. Turder

Turder Throttle engineer

Oddometer:
    I was recalling some talks about this in the past. But in BMW's case, much easier to detect by ear. Sounded a bit like Panigale.
  17. VITIXER

VITIXER Mmmm, cherry pie!

Oddometer:
    Dorna has no intention of further renewing Monza's contract with the historic circuit because of safety issues.

The idea to abandon Monza hasn’t been met with pleasure by certain riders like Michel Fabrizio, who says it would be ‘mortal shame’ to remove it from the calendar.

Whether Monza will decide to make certain safety modifications to keep Dorna’s business remains to be seen. The city planners wouldn’t approve of the circuit trying to encroach more land.
  18. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I'll go with that. :clap. Fookn awesome.
  19. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    So Sykes kept the position? If so, that's complete BS.
  20. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    maybe not. I was under the impression that sykes passed leading up to that corner, but I can't say for certain, maybe he was already ahead, passing while I took a drink of coffee!
    if he was indeed ahead well before running off, then he returned to the track in his original position, no harm no foul, now if he did indeed try to pass and overran the corner, then re-entered in the position he HOPED to achieve, then yes, that is BS.
    anyone find any good videos of it for us armchair officials to analyze??!