The F5 Bivouac (rallye raid news) and W2RC - World cross country rally championship

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. silentwolf

silentwolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just woke up.

Want to go back to sleep now.

Kurt gave me a bit of of new hope for Dakar, maybe for everyone. I think he was respected and liked by everyone on the circuits he raced - even his competitors. He was that kind of a guy. At Dakar for just one year, by chance, and he will be sorely missed this year.

God, I think he just got engaged. I can't imagine the distress of his friends and family.

It's the game we play, the chances we take as riders.
    We do what we love until we aren't doing it anymore.

Be at peace, Kurt

My best goes out to all his family and friends.

...going to take a lap in the sand in his honor.
  2. Super Dave Hawaii

Super Dave Hawaii Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer:
    +1. Racing has it's dangers and we should all know that. This was an unfortunate accident and not caused by a booby trap or spectators.
    RIP Kurt.
    Dave
  3. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    :cry

Kurt was a great human in addition to being a great racer, I am heartbroken Over the loss. Chilly hit the nail on the head.

:cry
  4. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    R.I.P Kurt Caselli :cry Peace to your family and friends in this terrible time.
  5. Brimstone

Brimstone Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer:
    Such terrible news... Was really looking forward to watching Kurt in this years Dakar. So sad to hear. Thoughts are with his family and friends.
  6. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    About Speedbrain, Botturi in this (Italian language, sorry) interview,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dla7Iw7HfE

says his bike that had a gear problem at Merzouga, was at the beginning of its fourth :huh rally, with 15000 km on the same engine!!!
  7. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    that thought is ridiculous how can anyone or any team racing a championship rally race like that start on anything but fresh or at least under 500 miles..
  8. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    He said they did it as sort of a test to see if they can do an entire Dakar with single engine.

Botturi and Despres are saying that it's going to be a hard race this year. Despres mentions two marathon stages.
  9. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    that means two days for us to not have to wrench but late nights the days after !
  10. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    Botturi uses the Speedbrain bike, but has his own team structure, mechanics, etc... I believe they make a lot of their decisions independent of Speedbrain.
  11. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
  12. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    I don't think at all Botturi has his "own" team! As far as I heard/read around Speedbrain has two teams, one for Honda and one for their own bikes. Quite likely the second one won't be as strong as the first one.

About his bike at Morocco/MErzouga rallyes, Botturi says it was the bike used by Goncalves (and maybe another rider? have to listen to interview again later) in two previous Cross Country Rallies, and he discovered this only after his return from Morocco (where of course he was not in fight for any title). The reason was Speedbrain team was testing new materials in view of the Dakar 2014 (as Balkan Boy wrote!). But of course if you have more info that Botturi himself please let us know:D
  13. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
  14. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    205?

http://www.redbull.com/en/motorsports/offroad/athletes/1331574584973/cyril-despres

Fresh start for Cyril Despres in Dakar 2014
    By Tim Sturtridge on 18 November 2013 in Rally Raid
    Our exclusive interview with the five-time Dakar Rally champion finds him ready for the fight.
    Redbull.com: The seconds are now ticking away on the countdown towards the 2014 Dakar Rally, how are things with you and your new Yamaha team?

Cyril Despres: "We have had to act fast since starting out on this new challenge with Yamaha. It only really got going in May so we have had no time to waste in getting in shape for the Dakar. After the first test we made a few adjustments to make the bike more comfortable, such as altering the position of the seat and the handlebars. Since then there’s been more details added, for example we have increased the volume of the fuel tank. I wanted to be able to carry an extra three litres in the tank, this may not sound much but in my experience it can make a big difference."

[​IMG]

RB: It sounds as if you have put your stamp on the Yamaha 450 YZF Rally and made it your bike?

CD: "I took the decision to use Yamaha’s bike from the 2013 Dakar because it had proven to be competitive. With the short space of time we had to work in it seemed reckless to kick off a project to build a completely new machine. We have made some small adjustments to improve performance but nothing major has changed. Nothing too ‘sexy’ has been added to the bike but I believe the materials are there to allow me to do my job at the Dakar."

Nothing too ‘sexy’ has been added to the bike.
    RB: How is your working relationship with your new Yamaha team?

CD: "There’s been a good flow of ideas and great discussions in the garage to help us improve. We have guys at Yamaha that worked with Stéphane (Peterhansel) during his successful years on a bike at the Dakar. This kind of experience is invaluable and we are all pulling together to get this bike in the best shape it can be. I’m very precise when it comes to setting up the bike, there’s no ‘more or less’ about it.

[​IMG]

RB: Has there been much discussion about tactics for the upcoming race?

CD: "My strategy will not change because I have joined a new team. My way of racing has been designed by myself to suit myself. It may not work for other riders but it has worked for me so I don’t feel any need to change my style just because I have changed my bike. It’s clear to me that the team around me at Yamaha have a lot of trust in me. They just want me to be as comfortable as I can so there’s certainly been no pressure from them to alter the racing style."

My strategy will not change because I have joined a new team.

RB: What are your personal goals for the 2014 Dakar Rally?

CD: "I know we have everything we need to win this Dakar. I think it’s going to be a tough Dakar, my toughest Dakar for quite some years. I think an advantage I have this time is my determination to show that it’s not just the best bike that wins the Dakar, it’s also the best rider. I don’t know if I will finish this race with my 6th Dakar title and a third consecutive win but I want to show the difference that an experienced Dakar rider can make to a team. Of course it’s vital to have a good mechanics and staff behind you but I want to show Yamaha what I can personally bring the team."
  15. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really.
    It seems unlimited money and resources can buy anything except creativity and imagination.
  16. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    Well, except a new rider with a damn sexy Redbull headband.
  17. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
  18. Happe

Happe Adventure Bike Spanner Man

Oddometer:
    Since when is Putin part of the team? :huh
    [​IMG]

It is him, right? The one that looks like Dobby the House Elf?
  19. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Come on, no one is gonna mention Nasser's terrible technique at spitting?
  20. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Attached Files: