OK Who has input: BMW F700GS vs Honda NC700X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by hapbob, Jan 28, 2013.

1. hapbob

hapbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new BMW gs 700
    or
    the Nc700 Honda?

I am thinking about one of these...but which one...No WEE input...Suzuki just doesn't do it for me.

Hap
  2. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you ridden either one yet? Do you want an automatic? That would probably make the decision for you.

If you can live with short shifting for best performance, low maintenance, cheap to buy, comfortable commuting and great fuel mileage then the NC700X would fit the bill.

If you like to stretch out a motor's power band and ride more adventure than road then perhaps the BMW.

I find both the bikes comfortable for my 5'7" of altitude. However, I'm cheap, have a significant commute and usually short shift my old Suzuki so I'm leaning towards the NC700X as well. Need to ride one though once the snow melts...

Good Luck,
    Scott in Shoreview
    '79 Suzuki GS550
  3. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Usually what YOU want from the bike has something to do with the right choice.
  4. Davidc83

Davidc83 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Honda Nc700 is 670cc motor and the bmw F700 is an 800cc motor. So there is big difference right there, 130ccs, plus the cost-NC700 is $7000 new and the BMW F700 is close to $11,000; a $4000 difference. The Honda nc700 is about 42HP (+-5HP) while the BMW F700 is 75 HP. There really is no comparison; they are very different bikes.
  5. hapbob

hapbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks
    I found that First link with search but not the second..

I know Use the search...but I was also looking for input up to date of who has these bikes and Why I should buy or not buy either..
    $ price doesn't matter to me. I know they are way different on paper...but how in real riding?
    Thanks
    Hap
  6. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    :deal
  7. Davidc83

Davidc83 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I have test ridden both; ergonomically they are very similiar for me (5'10", 32" inseam); the bmw was faster off the line, faster thru the gears and it was barely breathing when I hit 90mph on it. The NC took longer to hit 90mph, It felt buzzier to me (but that is all relative to each rider).
    If price doesnt matter, go with the 75hp bike:evil
    If you are not stuck with getting a twin, check out the bmw g650gs series (thumpers):clap
  8. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    The GS version of the 700 motor produces 62 rear wheel hp and the NC punts out 48 same according to published dyno figures. That is a big difference but not 42 - 75. The NC is going to lose every drag race in the 650-700 class but it has other qualities too. In normal riding conditions where grunt from a stop or immediate mid range come into play the differences aren't as great as the numbers would indicate and the area under their torque curves are very similar. The BMWs extra displacement helps it make 7 or 8 more ft/lbs of torque in the range most used in everyday riding.
  9. hapbob

hapbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Gs 700 doesn't seem to get rave reviews on here? Is that true? The nc700x has a few people who understand what this bike is and really like it for what they do with it. The less HP is somthing I wonder how long I will stay tuned to the bike. I felt the Wee was to heavy and slow??? But I like the auto scooters for just tooling around in evening or Saturday Morn. But want a bigger bike for a trip or two? This nc700 with auto keeps bringing me back. Keep the comments comming I enjoy hearing others perspective....By the way I love BMW's...My R1200GS was the bike..but to much money for the amount of riding I did on it. I am a goofy guy!
    Hap
  10. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    2012 or newer Wee:
    69hp, curb weight 214 kg

NC700X (without DCT-tranny)
    51.7hp, curb weight 218 kg
  11. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Interesting post. I won't beat you up for comparing the two bikes, but I do feel that they are in two different realms actually, but that's just my opinion.

In short, I would go with the BMW if money was not an issue. It's going to be way ahead in many respects from the Honda.

I was ga-ga for the Honda before it came out meself. The local dealer got a pair, one with the silly "automatic", and the other standard shift. After seeing one in-person, sitting upon it, reading more, I simply passed. I "get" what Honda was attempting, and admire that. I just don't see it as the type of adventure bike I like or want. I am not freakishly tall at about 5-10, but I found the ergonomics cramped for my build.

Not apples an oranges possibly, but I think a closer stablemate to the new Honda in discussion might be a Kawi Versys. I actually like the Versys better than that new Honda, perhaps just me. The Versys motor is quite bulletproof, it's fuel injected, and there is a fair amount of farkle matter out there to outfit one, at least as far as some generic panniers and crash bars (without having to source them from the bike dealer), and the bike is inexpensive-- lots of used ones in the $4500 and up range.

Not knocking your thought pattern, I just think the new Honda is not on the same page as the Beamer, certainly not in price or function me thinks, but interesting conversation just the same brother. :deal

Lest us know what direction you went, and if you don't give us some pictures, IT NEVER HAPPENED!
  12. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. hapbob

hapbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know I have a huge problem...not knowing which bike to buy!
    Boy I really hated the wee...I thought because it wasn't exciting enough and a bit awkward .
    Now this new Honda has my eye but I haven't ridden it and if its like the wee I won't be happy very long.
    So I have decided against the automatic model and wonder about the normal shifting bike. The transmission is cool but I have a scooter this new purchase is supposed to be a real motorcycle. But now wonder if the Honda fits the bill as a real motorcycle with either transmission ?
    Versay is a good suggestion
    But would rather have 650 tenre
    Hap
  14. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    I'm worn out hearing people wonder if the NC700X is a real motorcycle. All the accolades in reviews, BOTY of the year in several magazines, on and on. The thing isn't for everybody but it certainly isn't for someone wondering if it is a real motorcycle.
  15. ArmSC

ArmSC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To me the bmw is just so expensive I didnt enen look at one. I actually like the honda and really think they are going for something different with the nc. My local had an auto model that I sat on and poked one day. Not a bad feeling bike. I really think that it would be a killer bike for commuting and urban riding. Not that it cant tour I just see it as really shinning in an urban arena. I think its cool the went for usability and economy with that bike...way to try something different honda. If you like it try it...for under 7g msrp for the clutch model theres a lot to like there.
  16. terraunbound

terraunbound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go test ride the two and see what you think. The NC700 is a sweet bike, rather tame, but a nice feeling to it. The F700 has bottom end guts, more acceleration, and more ready for off the pavement. If I spent most of my time in town, I'd consider the NC700; for bumpy, washboardy roads with potholes, I like the F700. What do you want to do?
  17. hapbob

hapbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw both bikes today at IMS in Novi today. Lots of interest with the NC 700 and I really liked the 500x by Honda also. Don't know how that would drive vs the 700. I was so impressed with 500x I almost forgot about 700GS BMW . It is a very nice bike sits nice and I know performance would be much better. But is it $4000 more better? Probably but I want to still check out 500x and they will be in dealers soon and we will get a riders report from someone?
    Hap
  18. hapbob

hapbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Honda 500x at novi IMS today
  19. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hap.
    There is only one way you can solve this dilemna.You say the 4000 price difference doesnt matter.You have to ride both bikes and then you can decide if the gs is the bike for you or indeed if the 4000 is not worth it.
    If it is not possible to ride both bikes i would buy the NC700 If ,like the wee strom you dont like it you will have to take the hit,sell it and then buy the gs.I would like to think selling a new NC 700 would create a fair bit of interest.I really think there is a market of thoughtfull conservative people for this bike and you wont have any troble selling it.Motorcyclists are conservative,you will prolly have more trouble selling the auto.
  20. strider.deano

strider.deano Been here awhile

Oddometer:

What he said.:thumb