Tucson Area Bulletin Board:

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by russbryant, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    Well my pictures don't seem to be working right now, but I just took a picture of a bright green KLR with a bright green dog carrier on the rack and bright eyed dog sitting in it..
  2. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  3. alaskasail

alaskasail Arivaca Outback

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd posted on this thread, but I don't see it.

So, we'll be doing the 3rd (or is it 4th) annual "Arivaca Outback" this coming weekend (Feb 8-9). If you want to come early or stay late we can do that. Come up for the weekend or just a day, no matter. I have two houses, a 34' Avion trailer and 60 acres you can camp on or in. If you confirm, I'll serve you sourdough pancakes on Sunday morning. Depending on the turnout we'll have food Saturday night as well. There is also food/drink at "Sweat Peas" restaurant and bar food at the La Gitana (good Burgers).

Some pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/106548352406020656192/OutbackArivaca?feat=email

Some old info. posted on the KLR650 Forum.
    http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107461

An example of a ride: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1347903&code=138baad210ed9bbb93924c04b41bb4c0
    There are more under "alaskasail" at http://www.everytrail.com/

We'll meet for breakfast at the Coffee shop at the top of the hill at 9am Saturday morning. Then we can go from there or over to my place if you want to drop off any extra baggage or we can also head right out to ride.

To get to my place just go right on through Arivaca staying to the right when the road splits. Go about 2 miles (towards Sasabe) to the "10 mile" marker and you will see a bunch of rocks and a medallion from the Panama canal. Just go up the hill to one or the other of the houses.

PM me for any questions.

-A
  4. alaskasail

alaskasail Arivaca Outback

Oddometer:
    I drove my Honda Accord right under (well.... almost) a big, jet black one when I was blinded by a truck on the Arivaca Road. Knocked out the windshield and back window as well as added several dent's. We we're only going about 20mph so the cow/steer got up and ran away!

[​IMG]
  5. NewtAZ

NewtAZ "did you say tacos?"

Oddometer:
    The Arivaca ride sounds fun. i may have to work this weekend and won't know for sure until friday morning. i will check back on this post and let you know as i get info
  6. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR semi-retired

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about selling my kids klx 110. Before I battle craigslist and the African prince that wants to send me million, thought I'd ask around here.
  7. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Is this ride still on? I'm looking to see if I'm available and if I'll trust the KLR250 for that kind of distance.. But sounds like a great day!

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
    The spear has been shaken!!
  8. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Hey does anyone by chance know who had this KLR 250 I just bought before Gmoney? Looking to see if I can get some history on it..

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
  9. erbemone

erbemone Adventurer

Oddometer:

Im up for riding this Saturday.
  10. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:
    I am happy to show you guys the Santa Ritas if you want.
  11. HoosierTrailmaster

Oddometer:
    I thought Drizzt (James) said he owned it before. Being that it is 20+ years old, I would bet it has had a 1/2 dozen or more owners. It was a $350 bike man...it has been beaten to death I am sure...the positive side is they are tough as nails.
  12. Friedom

Oddometer:
    For sure, I just figured I'd ask. Maybe I can find out if my issues are induced by my own tinkering, or pre existing. As well as any known mods done. I see the airbox was opened up a little, and the air screw was out at 3 1/4 turns. No sign of power in the electrical/lighting system, so hard to set idle to factory with no tach, etc...
    Turns the header red hot in 10 min of riding around my neighborhood also, that normal? It's certainly not because it's hot out..
    Uh oh, I'm not in a wrenching thread...

13. HoosierTrailmaster

Oddometer:
    It is running way lean. You need a new pilot jet, it is either gummed up or too small for the temperatures right now. Lean is real dangerous, you will seize the engine if you continue. Is it a Keihin or Mukuni? You should never go beyond 2 1/2 turns out and less than 1 turn from closed. If you go more than 2 1/2 out you need to go next size up...if you go less than 1 turn you need to go to the next size down.
  14. HoosierTrailmaster

Oddometer:
    Oh, you might also check the header to manifold...if that is leaking you will get a false read on your carburation and...it will run very lean as it is getting too much air in the head.
  15. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Thank you, that confirms my suspicions. I turned the air screw back into 2, but she idles real high and only drops if i turn the idle screw low enough then stalls. Smells lean too. I must have missed the pullout jet when i briefly cleaned it. I'll check that first, then move to a larger jet if no progress made. Between that and chasing electrical issues, should be an easy fix. :thumb

16. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    And so his last words were uttered as he disappeared down the rabbit hole :lol3.

Dave
  17. BigKnobby

BigKnobby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings fellow inmates...

I'm thinking about making a trip to AZ in May to enjoy some desert riding. I also want to venture into southern Utah to check out Escalante/Monument.

Would May be a good time of year to do this? Or does it already get pretty hot by then?

If things look good weather-wise, I'd be looking for some local guidance on day rides out of Tucson and maybe a dirt circuit around Escalante. For what it's worth, I'll be on a DR650 with an IMS tank.

Thanks in advance...

P.S. It's 5 degrees in Omaha right now. What the...
  18. HoosierTrailmaster

Oddometer:
    If it idles faster when you turn it in, the header problem isn't the carburation. That is what you want. Turn it in or out until you get the fastest idle, then turn your idle adjustment screw down, but if your head pipe is glowing you have a leak at the manifold. You need a new manifold gasket or use some high heat gasket material to seal it, or you have a crack in your pipe. With that said, you won't ever get the carb adjusted right until you have no air coming in at the manifold.
  19. Drizzt

Drizzt Ranger

Oddometer:
    I owned it before Gmoney. Shoot me a pm and i'll let you know what issues I fixed, but I literally only owned it a week. It ran fine for the few rides I took it on carb wise
  20. Friedom

Oddometer:
    What I'm taking about can't really be described as a high idle. More like, you know how some bikes get real revvy and tach up right before the fuel bowl empties? That sort of thing. Air leak makes perfect sense. I'll spray some carb cleaner around the manifold and see what the reaction is. There's a decent amount of gasket material all over it. Maybe I should check out some parts to order.

I greatly appreciate your feedback HTM.