Suzuki TU250 - anyone seen/ride one?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by anomad, Dec 10, 2008.

1. RidesBeside

RidesBeside n00b

Oddometer:
    Saw one today at vivapowersports.com El Paso. 915-834-2305

Good Hunting..
  2. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw n00b

Oddometer:
    Got one of these about two years ago (un-red model), put 6k miles on it, then had to put it away for around 8 months. Was a little bit worried that it wouldn't start after all that time (I forgot to disconnect the battery), but it fired right up!

Great little bike!
  3. Reconstructed

Reconstructed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. TomSXM

TomSXM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoying mine so much, I've put my Aprilia up for sale :D

(Contact me if you're interested - '09 Mana 850, 2'042 miles)
  5. Txjack

Txjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if the speedo backlighting is fused? Went for my first night ride after getting new tires& inspection. Thanks NJ-Brett on suggestions for gearing & tires, made quite the difference! p.s. bright lt. indicator works just fine.
  6. jhancock

jhancock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Sounds like aftermarket weights would be double that weight and might help w/vibration.
  7. rycomm

rycomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found the same problem on mine on the first night ride. It was a bad bulb. I think it was $2 for two. It is a 1.7 w bulb. There is only one. I think it is 2 10mm nuts that hold speedometer to the top clamp, and 1 Phillips screw that holds the housing in place. The mounting bolts are carriage bolts ,so don't scratch them up holding them with pliers like I did.

Ryan
  8. Moto13

Moto13 Riding to Relax

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone...Riding season started here in Maine about two weeks ago. :D

I rode for a few days before encountering a problem. I came out of work at midnight and found my headlight no longer working. I followed my work mate home and have since been trying to figure out what's going on. Here's what I've done so far:

1. got a new lightbulb at VIP...put the new bulb on and ... no go. I inspected both bulbs, and neither seems to have broken filaments.

2. I then thought it must be the fuse. I switched the extra fuse for the one in the slot for the headlight ... still no go.

3. I put the extra fuse and the one that was originally in the headlight slot in the turn signal slot - they both work. I inspected them manually, and of course there's nothing wrong with them. So the problem is not with one of those fuses..

4. I looked at the 30 fuse (main fuse), but I can't get it out...I've never dealt with fuses, so I'm not sure how much I can pull without breaking it. Either way, it makes no sense to me that the main fuse would be broken if everything else on the TU still works. :hmmmmm

The TU starts without a problem, the rear light, turn signals, and lights on the dash all work... the only thing that does not work is the headlight.

So... any ideas?
  9. theUg

theUg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, I lurked here long time ago, but then got busy riding TU, so I let this thread to run away. I am now working through it, but still have over 200 pages to go through, so it’s going to take some time still. But I figured I’d introduce meself before everyone participating in this thread crushes to death or sells the TU. Am active on tu250riders.com, though.

So, I have 2011, which I bought that summer, thus it’s almost two years old. I have over 8000 miles on it. No issues whatsoever, save for the usual speedo cable freezing every winter. It’s my primary mode of transportation, day or night, rain or cold (my car has some issues, and I hadn’t bothered to fix since I bought this bike), but I try to avoid needless driving, unless I go on the joy ride or a trip of some sort, hence not a lot of miles. Plus, I commute on the bicycle or the bus to save money sometimes as well. First time owner (I dabbled before but I was fixing my 1971 SL125S more than I ever rode it). MSF, gear most of the time, helmet always.

It’s pretty much stock, save for the 16t sprocket I just put few weeks ago. Still getting used to it, but the stock gearing worked fine for me as well (since I’m first-timer, I don't know any better). I went on 1050km (650 mi) roundtrip in the mountains recently, motorway and state highways, had no trouble keeping 70-75 mph (indicated) with 40 L luggage bag strapped on the back seat, though at times could go faster, but didn’t due to watching my mileage. Also did few trips on dirt, including 190km on forest roads couple years back. The only big trouble spot for me was 2100 m (7000 ft) pass on I-80 in Nevada where I struggled to keep up 55 mph WOT, but I didn’t mind. Besides, trucks were slowing down to almost 40 on that pass, so who cares.

I’ll get more details and pics from those journeys later once I sort some stuff out, but here’s the story of how I smoked a Hardly at the streetlight at downtown Boise (Front and 8th pedestrian crossing) few days ago on my two-fifty. Big-ass loud-pipe bobber style, ape hangers and all, with greaser-type Michael Madsen look-alike at the bars (no gear, obviously). I rolled up in the next lane, gave him a sideways glance. He reciprocated, and rolled a throttle emitting mighty growl.

So, I figured he wanted to play. Obviously, he doesn’t expect much of vintage looking 250, so he wasn’t trying too much. But I took off so hard that I was able to switch into his lane within the first 30 metres so I could make the hole in traffic, leaving him in the dust roaring like a wounded beast behind my back. I think I made him upset, as he was gunning 50 in the 35 speeding away to the Connector few moments later. All the while I was almost laughing with a big TU grin. :ricky
  10. Prettyboy

Prettyboy I drink and I know things

Oddometer:
    Well, I got one, and here she is.
    [​IMG]

It's going to take a while before I can ride, largely because I don't know how, and my MSF course isn't for a few weeks, but especially because the title is going to take 4-6 weeks to get to and from Harrisburg. Ugh.
  11. Rhompin45

Rhompin45 Rhompin45

Oddometer:
    Well it's a great bike to learn on. They are very forgiving going from being stoped. You don't need a lot of Rpms to get it going and if you rev it to much and let the clutch out you don't really have to worry about the front tire coming off the ground. And if your coming to a stop alittle off balance it's light enough you can catch it with out it falling over. What year is it 11 or 12 how many miles? It looks good.
  12. DavesNotHere

DavesNotHere Aging squid

Oddometer:
    Got a new TU250X today:clap

[​IMG]
  13. Rhompin45

Rhompin45 Rhompin45

Oddometer:
    Are the rear shocks different on the 13 from the pic it looks a little different other than the spring being black?
  14. Rhompin45

Rhompin45 Rhompin45

Oddometer:
    It looks like there are 12 coils vs 11 on my 2012? Right? Kinda hard to see on my phone
  15. Blue Scoot

Blue Scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think they are the same, I saw one on the dealer floor the other day and noticed the black forks and coils but other than that I would assume they are all similar?

Is this the first 2013 in this thread ha congrats and welcome!
  16. M105

M105 n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice! Congrats. Enjoy!
  17. Prettyboy

Prettyboy I drink and I know things

Oddometer:

It's the 2011 and it has 2900 miles on it. It is killing me not being able to ride it yet. First I gotta learn how, and then I need this paperwork to go through.
  18. Rhompin45

Rhompin45 Rhompin45

Oddometer:
    Moto13 did you ever figure out the headlight problem? I had a scooter with a problem simalar to that everything worked fine except the headlight and it was the regulator the only difference is I was blowing bulbs.
  19. CDNbiker

CDNbiker Lost in Space

Oddometer:
    I like the silver 2013's, not as "fast" as the red 09's, but faster than the greys:D
  20. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice! Guess I hadn't seen a photo of the 2013 yet.