Russell Day-Long Group Buy 2013-14

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by kltk1, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Matt fe2o3

Matt fe2o3 I think.

Oddometer:
    I posted the link over at AF1 Form in Caponords (real Caponords, not these poxy new 17" front and rear jobbies) they may or may not nuke it. For AF1 Forum, group buys are forbidden - but they will let us usually link to something of interest.
  2. JohninVT

JohninVT Long timer

Oddometer:
    One question regarding communication; providing RDL accepts the group buy, how will those of us on the list be notified that it's time to call RDL with our order?

I don't check my PM's here every day but I receive emails instantly on my smart phone.

Thank you very much for taking on the group buy. This sort of thing is a pia.
  3. kltk1

kltk1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When RDL gives the go/no-go decision I'll post a message in this thread with instructions on how to proceed and what the final discount is going to be. If you're subscribed to the thread you'll be notified via email.

4. fammdw

fammdw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Speaking from experience, it takes an extraordinary amount of time and effort to administrate a RDL group buy effort. List members should not expect kltk1 to email or PM them with updates about the group buy or individually notify list members when RDL accepts the group buy. Far too many on the list for individual notifications. It is each list member's responsibility to monitor this thread for any and all updates.
  5. kltk1

kltk1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Folks, as of 9:45 EST this morning all requests sent have been added to the list. I'm very happy to report we're at 75 and counting. Thanks to everyone for spreading the word.

I was able to put a post up on the multistrada.net forum. I think Ducati and Moto Guzzi are the only major brands not represented on the list yet.

I'm heading out for the day and will follow up on any new requests later this afternoon or this evening. Have a great day everyone.
  6. grizz117

grizz117 n00b

Oddometer:
  7. Seacoast-Rob

Seacoast-Rob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got in on the group buy last year through the vulcan bagger forums.
    This is the vinyl, half-moon, basket-weave on a Tiger Explorer:

It sure makes long hauls much better. Confirmed this on rides from NH to GA and back (BRP, etc), and another from NH to OH and back. Some may laugh at a saddle like this on an an adv bike, but I use it for touring/motocamping and appreciate the comfort.

Highly recommended!

edit: I see fammdw two posts up - he orchestrated last year's group buy with RDL. Thanks for the time you put in on that Mike!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. fammdw

fammdw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it looks great on there Rob. Interesting that you didn't have them recover the pillion or did you and it's just not done in basket weave?

I really like that bike! Who makes the Tiger Explorer? It looks like it would go through anything.

Always wanted an adventure bike, but thought if I got one it would be V-Strom 1000 or a Super Tenere, but I like that bike a lot.
  9. Seacoast-Rob

Seacoast-Rob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's a Triumph. Plenty of information/posts on these forums about this bike.

I did not have the pillion done. Didn't see the need for the extra expense. My wife doesn't ride with me so the only thing the pillion seat ever carries is camping gear. And that stuff doesn't care about comfort, thankfully :D
  10. fammdw

fammdw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just in case you ever get another seat done and for informational purposes for people getting seats done through this group buy, a solo build includes the re-covering of your passenger pillion seat to match the front seat on a two seat set-up. There's no additional charge for them to re-cover the pillion to match on the solo build.

There is only an additional charge for the pillion when you do the dual build. In that case the pillion is totally rebuilt custom for the passenger like they do for the driver's seat.

Rob... You might want to reach out to them if you are at all interested and tell them you didn't know this. They might let you send the pillion in to re-cover it in basket weave for just the cost of shipping. You never know...

I think it looks just fine as you have it. I was just curious as to why the pillion wasn't covered to match. See the picture if my FJR on the first page. I didn't pay any extra to have the pillion re-covered in basket weave. I did however have to pay extra to have the backrest re-covered to match.
  11. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    Rick, I want a seat like yours. Are the sides leather or vinyl?
  12. Micg1313

Micg1313 n00b

Oddometer:
    i sent you two Pms , could you confirm . Im new to this Forum

thanks

Mick
  13. Kreskin

Kreskin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would double check that you've sent all the requested info, I know I missed putting my e-mail address in my initial contact. If you've supplied all the requested info be patient and I'm sure you'll get the confirmation PM.
  14. fammdw

fammdw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The seats done with velour inserts have vinyl sides. I've always wondered about the velour inserts (if they held up to the elements well). It looks like it would be the most comfortable of all applications.
  15. manstache

manstache Flounder of ADV

Oddometer:
  16. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    PM sent. Thanks for spearheading this :clap
  17. Micg1313

Micg1313 n00b

Oddometer:
    I called RDL late this afternoon and spoke to Kim . I asked her about the group buy started here she said they are NOT doing a group buy this year.
    Better luck next year
  18. kltk1

kltk1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    juddspaintballs. You're on the list now. I apologize for missing your PM.

Regarding the call to RDL. I sent mail to them yesterday letting them know that I was coordinating a list and received the following response. Note that her response states "at this time".

"Hello,
    We have no group buy scheduled at this time and do not want to get a list going until we are sure we are having one. I will keep your name as the coordinator and will contact you once we have made a decision.
    Thank you, Kim
    Hello,
    Please let everyone know that a list will not guarantee a group buy and at this time, we are not scheduling one for this year.
    Thank you, Kim"
  19. kltk1

kltk1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe you sent me two emails. Please send me a PM to be added to the list. Thanks.

20. Matt fe2o3

Matt fe2o3 I think.

Oddometer:
    What part of your post am I not understanding:

1). OP advised he worked off hours and folks needed to be patient in getting a response to a PM and this was not an immediate done deal.

2). You decided not to be patient and not only badgered the OP for a PM, you called the vendor to discuss a GB that you has no hand or effort in setting up?

3). You now post there is no GB without discussion from OP, and you have posted only twice in this entire forum..

That about sums it up. So hokay;

a). Remind me to never do you a favor. You are too high maintenance.

b). The GB attempt has no value to a vendor unless there is substantial interest. You show up with a coordinated effort for 5 or 10 seats and the maker kinda shrugs. You show up with 250+ peeps, then that represents good income that might go elsewhere. That's why it is done, to leverage value for the group while supporting a vendor.

c). Really you can do or call whatever or whoever you like, however nobody is going to drop their world to rub your back and coax you to buy a seat. It was not like the OP was saying to send him money. Instead of being patient you took a nice steaming dump on yourself.

d). Frankly if you called me up out of the blue with your impatience I would tell you to piss of too - just like the lady at RDL did.

Here's a bit of advice: Lighten up, take an anti-anxiety pill or whatever, relax, let the ideas unfold. If you can't handle the concept of a GB don't get involved.

Then again for all I know you are the official spokesman for the OP, but me thinks not.

OP thanks, will wait and see how this develops.