The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. TellicoADVTrail

TellicoADVTrail If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]My dad's old Ithaca 37 (16 ga) was pretty rough. So I took it home a few years ago after pheasant season. I wish it didn't have the damn Cutters variable choke on it because it basically doesn't work, but it seems to pattern about like a modified, so still good for pheasant. Couldn't really decide how to clean it up, so went with ceramic coating in "cornfield" camo and refinished the wood. It runs very slick now, like a whole new gun in operation. The 37 are so light and handy, a great gun to carry all day, it's my brothers go-to gun.

[​IMG]
  2. TellicoADVTrail

Oddometer:
    After consulting with my CMP match shooting friends on what rifle to buy for the Vintage Military class, I purchased the Swiss K-31 earlier this year. What an incredible gun it turned out to be. Simpsons LTD in Galesburg IL had racks of them, so took a while to pick through. But I couldn't be more impressed. This gun was graded at 98% finish, and honestly it might even be higher, there was zero rust or any other finish issue once I got it apart. Notice that all the serial numbered parts are matching, even the butt plate. Notice the alignment mark on the barrel/receiver (matching #s too). I had no idea where to set the sights, but figured close to the "2" should be good to start at 200 yards. I shot 40 rounds of Prvi Privastin the first time out and all 40 rounds were in the black of the standard 200 yard target. Only move the rear up two clicks, then back down one from where I started. Going to be a great match gun, I definitely love this thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Ze Red Baron

Ze Red Baron Adventure seeker

Oddometer:
    Baggi'tard,
    that's very nice. Great find.
  4. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a beautiful K 31....I love my K31. The addition of simple twin diopter sights makes a great shooter even better. What is your rear sight? It looks like it has a precision adjustment knob? Is that for elevation or windage?
    Here's a 100 yd group after installing some simple twin-diopter Mojo Sights.
    By the way, the mil surplus GP 11 ammo is match grade and costs roughly $.50/ round . You can buy it by the case through Sportsman's Guide

[​IMG]
  5. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

6.5x55?
    I have seen a couple of match rifles built on the action, but they were re barreled to .308. I hadn't seen an original, particularly in such nice shape. That is definitely a great find. Would you mind offering an approximate cost? Not that I 'need' any more rifles but...... you know how that goes.

Bruce
  6. Rustynuts

Rustynuts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The dealer was late getting there and they were still packing boxes in......I spotted the 110BA on the end of the box and followed them to the table, opened the box and licked it marking it as mine :D. I am going with the SWFA 5-20 X 50 unfortunately it is on BO until the end of Nov I have heard but will call Monday. I had a Super Sniper made by taco before SWFA took it over and at that time theywere made in Japan and still are. I had the SS on a bolt action .50 BMG rifle and it was a great scope and held up great. The SWFA has been getting great reviews and has been out quite a while now. I. Would love a Nightforce or a S&B but it's not in the budget after looking at what it is going to cost to get upand running reloading the .338 LM :huh
  7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
  8. TellicoADVTrail

Oddometer:
    7.5x55. From what I have read a bunch of places everybody is reloading with .308 bullets too. I'll have to do a little more asking around about that, still have lots of M118 bullets. For vintage military you have to use the standard sights, so no target diopters and such. There were a number of them at Simpson's with target sights on them, prices last summer ranged from $300-$1000+. Most were in the $4-500 range. I can't remember but mine was $500 or less, I also bought a brand new second magazine for $80, it required a bit of latch fitting, no wonder they stamped the serial numbers on the originals.
  9. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/10NNyxLABdQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  10. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Lean forward and stop flinching...
  11. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    Great day at the range today...
    [​IMG]
    Member of our club let me shoot the .50cal BMG :huh
    [​IMG]
  12. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    I had to grab a different rifle for deer season as my 2 oldest are using my regular go to rifles. After shooting the Savage accu-trigger in my 7mm-08, the M12, and my 17 HMR, the Marlin MR7 '06(won it at a Ducks Unlimited banquet a while back) trigger feels like I'm trying to drag a KLR through a sand pit:huh

I still can't get the Ruger 44 mag carbine to cycle correctly:bluduh
  13. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    Heh. Really like the look and design of the straight pulls, and there are two for sale semi-locally for $325-350, but hate getting another "odd" caliber I have to find surplus or reload for. Oh darn! :D
  14. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    So picked up a Yugo M48 from a friend who had drilled and tapped the receiver for deer hunting (yeah yeah, molested a perfectly fine milsurp). He had purchased it from AIM, thought it was a Yugo k98 capture, and wanted to move to a smaller caliber for our small Florida deer. Missing cleaning rod, a capture screw, rear sight base screw, and the barrel retaining band, stock is not the best, and although he's had it for awhile and shot it, still has cosmo in the innards and bolt. Talked to him prior to purchase, and he said he cleaned it, then did a finger test in the chamber and just covered in corrosive ammo residue. Ok, to focus my mini rant:

• Initial milsurp cleaning - whole rifle needs to be taken apart and soaked in mineral spirits to get the cosmo out. Very basic.
    • Routine maintenance - cleaning is not just putting patches down the barrel, you need to do the chamber and anywhere else the corrosive ammo residue can get. This is pretty much everywhere.

Ok, end of mini rant. Please enjoy your normal Monday morning programming.
  15. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    The corrosive component in corrosive ammo is the primer compound. Luckily, it's water soluble. I use hot water, and once the metal is hot, I blow it dry with compressed air and then wipe with an oily rag and patches to prevent any rusting.
  16. KSJEEPER

KSJEEPER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think they guys who used to keep a few hundred rounds on hand, now have a few thousand rounds on hand.

And the hoarding begets hoarding. I never was one to purchase mass amounts of ammo in the past, but with prices being driven up by hoarders, when I find a deal I stock up and thereby add to the problem.

Stop the madness, lol
  17. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    My issue is people actually doing that, or any other procedure to clean their stuff. Raaarrrggghh! Internet rage!
  18. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    You mean people who are too lazy, right?

I don't shoot much corrosive stuff any more. When I did, I'd fire a few non corrosive rounds before quitting, just to get the crap out of the bore immediately, because if it was humid the rust would start very soon.
  19. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    Lazy or stupid, take your pick :D

Interesting...
  20. Fe Man

Fe Man I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer:
    I have some dies and brass I might part with.