DR650 build in Chicago

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by dongie, Jan 26, 2011.

1. dongie

dongie Brraaap

Oddometer:
    I never got around to share any photos from the places this great bike took me to last summer. Here's a few photos from the best month-long trip of my life so far. I sure hope the DR is treating it's new owner well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. AeroEngineer

AeroEngineer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dongie, your bike inspired me:

[​IMG]

Different tank, fender, and stock forks, but I loved the fairing and color scheme.
    f800kris likes this.
  3. dongie

dongie Brraaap

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  4. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dude, what gave, I'm courious? Just stumbled acress this thread in midle of my debate...KTM 690 or Husky Terra 650.

You bilt an ultimate DR...why up to a biger bike? I'd like to hear your take on that after such a build and type of riding you've done on the bike.

I used to have a DR650 several years ago which i also tricked out pretty good and realy liked, alltho it was more SM focused. Now I'm lookin for somthing just like you have built and for similar purpose. More for adventure touring Baja and places like that, trailering close and than doing 1-2 weeks on the bike. Still want to use it as a SM (second set of wheels) on daily bases.

I'm having a hard time going back to building a bike when theres much better stuff out there now.
    Having said all that, it is unfortunate that all my research shows that most of these "new better bikes" have some sort of reliability isues with them 690 in particular. Alltho still pretty new Terra shows most promissing but heavier than the old design DR.

Hope to get your take on all this.

Thanks
  5. dongie

dongie Brraaap

Oddometer:
    Well, I had a few reasons. I was going through a tough time in my life when I picked up the DR. Building it up and planning the month-long trip was a way for me to stay sane and have something to look forward to. The DR was a fantastic bike and got me through the 7000 miles of highways, woods, snow, rivers and rocky trails. All without skipping a beat.

When I got back, I felt like it was time to move on and start fresh. In many ways. The same week, a local guy listed the 950 for a price I couldn't say no to. I always had a soft spot for the big powerful twins so it was a no-brainer.
    The 950 can do it all, just like the DR. It is better for riding 2-up and more comfortable for long trips. And I can still ride singletrack on it: http://youtu.be/2wT2JOuoJCo
    CoatsEast likes this.
  6. Dalmatino

Oddometer:
    Excelent vid....Shows rider experiance/capability is evrything. I'm sure all that time on the DR helped you with the ability/experiance to handle the big KTM in that enviroment. Way beyond my abilities.
    How's the Katoom standing up? I mostlikely will be going the 690r route.
    Jack Rabbit likes this.
  7. dongie

dongie Brraaap

Oddometer:
    The 950 is the most comfortable bike I've ridden standing up so far. The 690 is a great bike. I've only ridden the SM model but I bet the Enduro is amazing, too.
  8. Dalmatino

Oddometer:

Cool, thanks man..........
  9. dantheman6

dantheman6 SprinterPilot

Oddometer:
    Hey- Can you get the seat off without removing the top (flat) part of the rack ?
    With my Sargent seat this is necessary.
    Thanks
    Dan
  10. dongie

dongie Brraaap

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure you can.
  11. PPCLI-Jim

PPCLI-Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    where do you guys come up with deals on the new front end(forks triple trees) to replace the stock one? I have been looking and no joy. opinions on best replacement set on a bang for the buck ratio?:huh
  12. Web Foot

Web Foot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Getting to work on updating my DR. I will be referring to this build often. Thanks! :clap
  13. f800kris

f800kris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. dongie

dongie Brraaap

Oddometer:
    That's a lookout tower in Idaho. I spent a night there, riding the Magruder Corridor.
    f800kris likes this.
  15. f800kris

f800kris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick question for you. Love the look of the fender headlight combo. Does the fender block the headlight at night? The pic u have posted on the beach looks like it may be in the line of sight of the light.

Did you use one of the cheap headlight combos on ebay or is that a true dealer part?

Last question, I assume it will accept a standard dr650 style bulb or are u stuck using the light that comes with the piece.

Thanks for your time!
  16. Alex112211

Alex112211 n00b

Oddometer:
    @dongie
    Sorry if you have already answered this somewhere else,
    What kind of fork guards are those? How did you get them to fit the DR?
    What kind of front fender?
    And the Headlight?

Awesome looking DR!