Tiger XC accessories / farkles thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Xcountry-Rider, Nov 4, 2012.

1. SPX

SPX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently installed the center stand on my XC, and I too was surprised at how difficult it was to put on the stand, and frankly, get off of the stand. Definitely takes more technique than my previous center stand equipped bikes have needed.
  2. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:

I have the E52 on my Tiger. I agree that it is functional without a doubt, but it doesn't look right on the Tiger in my opinion. I am on the fence on whether or not I will be keeping it on my bike. For the most part, all I need a top case for is to keep my tools and tire repair kit on the bike all of the time. I don't have a passenger, although my oldest daughter who will be 8 this spring has expressed interest in riding with me. I'm thinking about a small or medium size pelican case, and doing something along the lines of BrownEye who added a backrest to his case. The plus of the Pelican over the Givi is it is smaller, and you can still strap a tent to the top. The negative is you do lose the option of storing your helmet and or riding gear inside.
  3. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:
    What size Pelican (or similar) cases are you guys running as top cases? I have a couple of unmolested 1520s but was going to keep them for using in my truck for storage. I'm thinking I may go with a smaller size as the 1520 may be a little big for what I need.

The case needs to be big enough for a tool roll, tire repair kit which includes a spare tube or two, small pump and or CO2 cartridges, and also an extra pair of gloves and Rok straps. The foot print of it needs to be able to carry a 12 pack as well. :D
  4. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...this is good to know.
    You just saved me $200. :lol3

I have Dirtbagz on my Husky and even though they are a lot more simple than the Wolfmans, they still are kind of strappy oriented and you're fiddling with tying everything up everytime you get into them or load and unload them.

Maybe my pelican cases aren't so bad afterall. They're sure a breeze to deal with. My only reservation is the risk of leg injury if you stick your foot out in a slide or to break your fall and you run over your own leg with your pannier. We've had two GS riders in our riding groups do this in the past couple of months. Hard cases are generally not well thought of for offroad.
  5. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    I think they are fine. I take them off when I wash the bike. Other than that they stay in place. Do you take them on and off every time you stop? Nothing is ever for everyone...
  6. fbj913

Oddometer:
    I believe the trick to the center stand is to have a long tool to come in from the opposite side. I remember saying something to the mechanic at the dealer and he said, "oh yeah, come in from the opposite side and its no big deal..." its been a while now since I messed with mine but thats my 2c.
  7. fbj913

Oddometer:
    I've got the big box. The think I really like about Pelican/Caribou is how light they are. I have the space if I need it if I don't its not even noticeable. Good for a full helmet too.

Looking at this pic makes me want to ride so bad!!! Good thing I'll be home this weekend. Time to finally get on the bike with my new Ohlins!!! :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

[​IMG]
  8. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I did take them off (moteling), sometimes not (camping), sometimes even when camping when I had a base somewhere. I just found them the most useless piece of luggage I ever bought. I ended up selling them with the bike, mainly because I only used my Ortlieb RackPack bags in the end. One roll top, large and long opening, two RokStraps - done. Same volume, better usable than the Wolfmans. Weight higher up? Didn't make a difference in riding at all. Less weight because no rack needed.

And yes, I understand that this is totally my own personal opinion. They might work like a charm for someone else. Just not for me.
  9. Dirtmonkey8

Dirtmonkey8 VA is for Riders

Oddometer:
    I have started a new group buy for the UNI prefilter on the existing group buy thread. I want to get one of these and I figured I may as well start a new group buy since I know I am not alone. We may as well split the shipping from down under. I plan to hold off ordering them for a month or more to allow more people to get involved. Please visit the old group buy thread and acknowledge your interest if you need one of these. Now back to your regularly scheduled farkling discussions...
  10. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    The last rain we rode in, she had a dark stipe straight up her back. :lol3

And, that's with the factory 1050 fender still in place. I've been meaning to put an extension on it.

I forgot about all the plugs. Your installation is definitely clean, though.
  11. PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    +1-go here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818121&page=12
  12. backwoodsKLR

backwoodsKLR Ride more, Post Less.

Oddometer:

There are two different centerstand kits available. One with EVAP and one for removed or no EVAP. I was looking at the "microfiche" on Bike Bandit's website and there are two distinctively different sections and part numbers. The only difference is the way they reference the EVAP canister, from what I can tell.

BB Part# 2816783
    BB Part # 3008150
  13. DropinParts

DropinParts Scrambler

Oddometer:
    I suspected this and that's exactly why I asked the question. I've always had hard bags, so I've been spoiled just flipping a latch and I'm in & out. The Wolfman's are cool looking, and I'm sure they are the real deal for true off-roaders, which I'm not. Also, I really prefer being able to lock up my electronics when I go into a restaurant.

Those Caribou / Pelicans are looking better all the time.
  14. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I think a real off-roader might still prefer a Giant Loop Coyote or Great Basin. I would. And I don't like that these stupid Giant Loop bags need dry bags to keep your stuff dry inside, but I'd prefer that over dealing with the Wolfmans again.

For me I'm back to my proven 15 year old Ortlieb duffle bag (49L) that is still totally water and dust proof. I have just recently gotten two more (24L each) and love them. I take the small ones when I need to compartmentalize (camping), or as an addition to hard panniers on road trips.
  15. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Giant Loop is the last resort for the vast majority of off road users. It's not waterproof, hard to balance the loads placed in them, and looks gaudy as hell. They are used when no racks are offered and/or saving weight is at a premium I.e. small cc bikes.
    If my Tiger was strictly for road use I would no doubt have chosen the panniers to match my top box. The Trax panniers. But sense I plan on riding a good bit of dirt I chose the lightest, safest, and most functional set up which is the Wolfman panniers. There are other great soft panniers out there as well. The overwhelming majority of Wolfman Expedition owners love them. Not only because of the craftsmanship and quality but because they serve their purpose so well. Some guys don't care for having to undo a few snaps to access their goods. I get it. But if you want the most secure, waterproof, lightweight, soft panniers out there then Wolfman is a top choice.
  16. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    They are neither lightweight (the racks aren't light), nor more "secure" than others. They are waterproof (like Kriega or Ortlieb).

And I don't think people use the Giant Loop as "last resort", it's just that what works for some, doesn't work for others. I get that you like the Wolfmans, but that doesn't mean you have to say that others are "last resort" or less well made . Because that's plain not true.

And don't get me wrong as I said that before: I think the Giant Loop is a great idea with sub-optimal execution. They aren't waterproof and they are expensive as hell for what they are.

In my opinion the best system out there is the Kriega Overlander combined with a set of hardcases for the same rack. Now, as that combination of racks, hard panniers, and soft luggage system is about 25% of a new Tiger, it's very likely not even worth thinking about it. I thought about it and discarded it.
  17. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    By lightweight, I meant the bags. Everyone knows racks aren't lite. And I looked at the Kreiga's. the bags are strapped to a board that is clamped to a rack. Yeah very secure. No, not really. If you read the history of the Giant Loop they were developed due to what I stated. Dual sport or off road bikes that need storage when none was offered. Specifically the lighter, smaller cc bikes. I never stated that the Wolfman was the best at anything. I just said a top choice, not THE top choice. And I sure as hell don't want a broken leg due to hard panniers.:deal
  18. jmcg

jmcg Turpinated..

Oddometer:
    Found these to be a great addition to the wife's T800;

http://www.andystrapz.com/products-details.php?productId=35&productCategoryId=22&Level=1

Got a few things from Andy over the years and have found his products and service to be excellent.

Well worth a look.

Cheers,

JM.
  19. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. jmcg

jmcg Turpinated..

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've been looking at them wistfully, too..

I have tried them on at shows/race meets when Andy attends; they seems to be well made and comfy..

JM.