Rider Missing in Mexico

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by TeeVee, Feb 5, 2014.

1. 7days1shower

7days1shower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some bike details

License Plate: NY67SD67
    Kawasaki
    olive green bike klr 2002
    Vin# jkaklea182da00194

[​IMG]
  2. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bananaman, thanks for the up date.
    Good to see that the KLR info is posted.
    If a kid from Iowa can waste the resources of your government, it does nothing to help the situation for missing American riders.
    Sorry for the mix up about that other situation. I still maintain it never happened. The sht that happened with me a week ago here was witnessed by another rider.
  3. snooter

snooter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    on a very mundane klr of all things..prayers for family and prayers for the kidnappers (if they are even involved) that they find out the truth about who really is in charge of there soul..yea the world needs christ,,nuff said-god speed
  4. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    +1

Good grief!!

And keep praying for Harry.
  5. Mtn Man

Mtn Man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Family desperately looking for information and support now finds this kind of exchange from folks with similar interest ... Note to self, tell wife nothing about ADV site. Too bad ... Prayers for the missing rider!
  6. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1
  7. TR562

TR562 Banned

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the bike being kinda military looking was a bad thing. I have always wanted to go to Mexico to ride, but I don't want anything like this to happen. Sad because I'm so close being in southern California.
  8. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    +1

It does look like one of the bikes the police/baddies were chasing Harrison Ford in Clear and Present Danger.

I hope this ends well.

I plan to ride my bicycle from Florida through Mexico and on to S.A. soon.

Best wishes for the family and friends.
  9. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really?
    How so?

Were you ever on that set? Ever see the bikes in person?

This is precisely the kind of useless speculation that these threads take on.
    It's a little too late for him to re-paint it or select another color of bike now, isn't it?
  10. TR562

TR562 Banned

Oddometer:
    It is speculation but maybe something to keep in mind for the next guy as far as riding an olive bike in a country where real bad guys want to kill members of the military.
  11. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Please don't. It's just not helpful.

This thread can be useful for spreading awareness of the situation and generating useful ideas like posting alerts in Spanish on Mexican web sites.It's worth the effort to keep it focused and uncluttered.

Keep praying for Harry.
  12. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got back from two months in Mexico and Guatemala on that same year/make/color bike. I go almost every year. Many, many people ride around Mexico all the time without problems. The people of Mexico have been very kind and friendly to me.

My thoughts are for Harry and his family and friends.
  13. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just want to jump in here but Michoacán has been more or less a low intensity war zone for over a year! I would not travel any route that was inland off the coast road let alone go bebopping through the villages in the countryside which from what I gather is what the missing biker was doing. And just because you are sitting on a beach in Cancun does not mean you know the situation on the ground in all the country!:1drink:lol3
  14. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read Gato's ride report in real time as well as every other Latin ride report over the last seven years and I find nothing in the above statement to be untrue or disparaging it is the way it is no matter how you perceive it to be in your mindset. Sure you probably won't have a problem but once off the beaten tourist track parameters can change quickly and I don't mean riding terain:lol3
  15. Hoot Gibson

Hoot Gibson Banned

Oddometer:
    The title of the guy's blog seems to tell much of the story, or at least part of it....jumping on a Dual Sport Bike and planning on traveling the world, when you've never even rode a Motorcycle before?

I hope he is AOK...but there is a major league chance that he had problems related to the bike and riding, rather than outlaws...but, either is possible. Just keep praying and hoping for the best for him and his loved ones.:cry

And really guys the chest thumping??? I can find a few thousand idiots on this site to start a flame war with....but on this serious thread....come on:hmmmmm
  16. Charmin

Charmin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I first knew about this issue on Friday.

I am really surprised but in major Mexican TV news channels doesn't say nothing about this guy. This could be really helpful so everybody knows about it around the area he was.

Things around Michoacan and Guerrero are not going good at this time.
  17. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    You don't seem to understand how this place works.

1) From time to time there's a "missing rider" thread every week or month.

2) Motorcyclists die every day.

3) Hand-wringing about missing riders is useless.

4) If you don't like the risk, stay home.

5) Read Ozy's ride report. It's probably the best one on advrider.

6) Read The Striking Viking's ride report, and Glenn's book, Two Wheels Through Terror.
  18. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find GatoGato's recommendation that Spot Trackers be mandatory pretty funny.
    What legislative body is going to enact this law and who is going to enforce it ?
    Maybe you can find a way to legislate common sense and veracity.
    And while you're at it make sure everyone has new tires and batteries and carries extra toilet paper.
  19. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My spot tracker died 3 days int the TAT. At least the other 2 guys had them.

Back on topic. I posted this on my FB as a know a few people who spend alot of time in mexico. Maybe someone has fam of friends down there.
  20. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bike should be easily identified, that KLR fender isn't stock. Hope he is found OK.