How to disconnect neutral switch wire from left handle unit on 92 R100R?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by mrfortynine, Dec 3, 2012.

1. mrfortynine

mrfortynine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need to replace the left handle unit housing, which requires me to disconnect clutch lever, clutch cable and neutral switch wire. But I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the neutral switch wire, which seems require a special wrench to reach the recessed part of the cable in order to untighten it.

The cable in question is part #6 in this image. [​IMG]

Any suggestion? Thanks a lot.

jia
  2. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have managed to unscrew mine with a pair of long nose pliers, it was a bit of a fiddle though.
  3. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:
    It's actually the clutch cut out switch so you can start the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in.

Freakin' hard to get out. If the switch is bad, cut off the wire and use a deep socket to remove.
  4. mrfortynine

mrfortynine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the correct, Beemerguru.

If cutting the wire the best way to get it out, whatÂ’s the recommended method to connect new wire then?
  5. boxerkuh

boxerkuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would not cut it, that means that you will have to replace it. If you need to replace it anyway then it is okay to cut it. It is one of those task that is fiddly, a pain in the a**, one that I had to walk away from a time or two. Using a open end wrench helps and once loose you may find it easier to do with your fingers. Patience on that job, but it will come out. Good luck.
  6. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, a job I need to do now because I have a broken clutch perch, from a heavy crash last week. I've seen that the switch is threaded (you can see this in the new perch), & the switch has a hex end to allow this to be tightened.

Follow the clutch switch wiring to the junction under the tank, disconnect this, loosen the clutch perch housing clamp, & then slide the perch off the handlebar. You should have a little more room then