Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    While the there are advantages to top-loading cases, and I like the look of the Trax cases, ultimately I feel that they are poorly-built and not as useful as the clamshell-style cases that I had on my old K1200RS. For me, the big 40L SKB cases from Caribou are a good compromise. Far more robust than the Traxes and with more capacity while also being no wider. A little heavier, I think, but noticeably lighter than the Pelican 1520/1550 and Storm iM2600 options.

[​IMG]

My second choice would definitely be the Wolfman bags that Lomax posted, though I appreciate that the Caribous have built-in keyed locks and I'm not quite sure how the capacity of the Wolfman bags measures up.
  2. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    The Traxx bags are built fine....as long as you don't crash and end up upside down down a hill with them mounted :evil

I had Jesse's on an R1150GS Adventure, and they were stout enough to hold up in a mild crash - but also quite a bit heavier than the very lightweight Traxx bags.

The Wolfman bags are a great option too.
  3. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    :scratch
    [​IMG]

:lol3

Regardless of that, I still feel like they are all "show" and no "go". Thin aluminum, riveted, some leak, ...
  4. Mr. B

Mr. B "Cogito ergo zoom"

Oddometer:
    I have found the top-loading panniers to be a problem when my bike is loaded with a large bag across the seat. I can't open the panniers open without wrestling with the bag.

Clamshell panniers have their issues too, but I prefer them. I'll have to look into the cost of the Norge panniers.
  5. Adam R

Adam R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those are specific Stelvio cases (using some of the same mouldings as the Norge) that accomodate the silencer. They are okay, mine leak, the right hand one fits a helmet. But the Trax ones aren't a good fit IMHO because they just push 'em out wide to miss the silencer. It'd be good if someone made a sturdy case that fitted the shape better.
  6. GabrielZD

GabrielZD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It appears to me that the Norge exhaust is lower than the Stelvio's. Because of this, it doesn't look like the left bag would be shaped the same on the backside.
    I went with the Micatech V2's which are much sturdier than the Trax and allow me to lay something on top without interfering with opening the case. The door is on the side but they aren't really "clamshell" because the door is flat and doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the bag. This design mostly eliminates the weakness of clamshell cases, which is things falling out when you open them up.:clap
  7. GT-Rx

GT-Rx Guzzi freak

Oddometer:
    Be sure to get the Stelvio specific version, the Norge bags will not work because of the muffler. Sorry, just see that it's been posted on, but I'll leave it.
  8. ripngrip

ripngrip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally got to spend some time on the Stelvio last week, 4 days riding in perfect weather, after a short test ride in January, and a 45 minute ride home in freezing rain in February.

Quick review for anyone thinking of a Stelvio (as I read through this thread many times before making the purchase). I'm 6'1", long inseam, and come from 10 years of riding and touring on sport bikes, but wanted something more comfortable (I get tennis elbow easily, and blame all the miles on an R1 I had for 3 seasons). Also something fun, funky, and with some character. Which lead me to the Guzzi, and I picked up a new old stock 2009 from Dave at Moto International.

First thing, as in all reviews of a big Guzzi, the engine dominates. I've ridden big V-Twins before, but this is the first time I have owned one. And the Guzzi really feels special, coming from Japanese bikes I felt like there was a lot of noise, clatter, intake, exhaust, but in a good way. And although there is vibration through the bars at idle, quite smooth when riding, and any vibration feels more engaging, especially the big power pulses. For some, this may be annoying (and I was worried it may bother me, but thus far it just makes me smile, feel like I am riding more of an organic machine vs laser cut appliance).

Power is definitely down from what I am used to on sport bikes, but is delivered well and fits the bike(and more than enough for the street). I like the fueling on the Stelvio, find that it is really easy to put the power down, even in small and slow throttle applications, very smooth. I was riding a 06 VFR last year, and the VTEC engine is very snatchy at slow speeds and small openings, nothing like that on the Stelvio. And I like the fact that the bike has good torque and character in the low range, but "wakes up" and has a fun spike in power from ~6000-8000rpm.

Shifting is really smooth for a large twin, no complaints nor misshifts. And I am happy no more chain lube and cleaner in my touring pack. I could not notice the shaft drive, no different for me from the chain driven bikes I've owned.

Suspension is good, nice and comfy but still gives me confidence in the handling. I do like to tweak suspension though, and will probably take a few more rides to dial in but with my minimal tweaks last weekend it rode very nicely. Very easy and light handling on the bike, seating position and big bar gives confidence. Sounds silly, as it is 200lbs heavier, but the handling around town, in traffic, quick turns, feels like the Honda 599/Hornet I had, the mass hides itself well. However, I do need to get used to the lack of feedback/more remote feeling from the 19" wheel at larger lean angles, but that is to be expected coming from 17" wheels with weight right over the top.

I love the riding position, tried the seat both in the high and low positions, and even with my long legs I prefer the lower seat placement, perhaps as I am used to having my legs folded up. Windshield seems to work well for me, not much buffeting on fast double lane highways (although I spent very limited time doing that type of riding). Very comfortable and natural to stand, although I doubt I will do anything rougher than a gravel road to a campsite, on the rough broken bits of pavement, handles great, much more confidence than a hard suspended sports bike. Seat is all day comfortable, and adding the hand guards is nice for rain/cold/wind.

Negatives are few at this point, as I am likely still in my "honeymoon" phase, but I hate that the heated grips cannot be adjusted on the move, that is ridiculous design (but I currently have aftermarket grips wired into the Guzzi controller, will install after market controller so they can be adjusted whilst moving). The paint around the gas tank seems to be bubbling, but looks like a common thing and warranty claim, then remove the canister thing in the gas tank. Range is somewhat limited but I knew that with the smaller tank (and I've been enjoying the sound of the bike throughout the rev range whenever possible, likely get better mileage when touring and with a more restrained right hand :evil). Gas gauge with it's 3 bars is pretty useless (mine seems to spend 5% of the time on the top bar, 90% on the middle bar, 5% on the bottom bar, not very accurate). But I always use a trip meter on my bikes for gas anyway. Brakes are good, have good power, stop hard, but I feel like there is not as accurate modulation in the front as I would like, but likely just a pad issue, or getting used to it issue. Rear brake works fine.

Overall, very pleased with the bike, and my first foray into Guzzi!

My wife and I didn't take a lot of photos last weekend, but here a couple from riding here in BC

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  9. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Nice review Rip. Glad to hear you're getting to know the big girl. :thumb

Couple of points for folks not familiar w/ the Stelvio. The '12- bikes addressed most of your concerns. Larger fuel tank (now 8.5 gallons....still not sure where they hide it because the bike looks no bigger than the previous model and nowhere near the mammoth size of the BMW GSA which is its closest competitor), heated grips are adjustable on the fly (but they don't come standard.... :huh ), and the fuel gauge is now 6 segment (and quite accurate, a nice change from my old BMW GS). All small changes, but together make a good package a bit better.

-SM
  10. ripngrip

ripngrip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely, and I knew all of these "negatives" going in after reading reviews (and not that negative, just small niggly things I find each bike has), but for me the price difference between an '12-'13 Stelvio, and left over '09 was a no brainer.
  11. MotoG5

MotoG5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally been riding everyday for a couple of weeks. Due to a large hi way construction project I have been having to take dirt and gravel to work until the road is paved again. No big deal except it did get the Stelvio pretty dirty. So I washed it.:huh I know that to some of you guys that is close to the unpardonable sin but I did have an ulterior motive. It gave me the chance to check the bike for missing or loose stuff now that it has more than 1K miles on it. Every thing looked good except this one item. Not sure it ever had a nut on it but have not been able to confirm it one way or the other. Is it missing a fastener? Or is the mount threaded and one isn't used?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
  12. GT-Rx

GT-Rx Guzzi freak

Oddometer:
    Nope, threaded boss as part of the frame. Only the lower shock mount has a bolt and nut. More at GuzziTech linked below, hope to see you there.
  13. vivo

vivo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 13 also has linear power delivery, no step in power as earlier bikes. It's an even spread of torquey- goodness! And the narrow rear rim might influence handling, have not compared but this thing rips and flicks in soooo nicely.

Mine is having the first service done now.

Vivo
  14. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    I had to replace the rear tire on my 13 this morning. With 3000 miles, it still looked good when I left Texas for Spencer Iowa Wednesday. At 4000, it was toast so I stopped by the Sioux City BMW dealer and they replaced the Pirelli with a Tourance and I road out into the cold rain on a brand new rear tire and lived to tell the tale.

I really hated to have to do that for several reasons. I have a set of K-60's and a rear Anakee 3 waiting in the garage at home, plus that sucker was damn expensive.
  15. RRVT

RRVT Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer:
    At least it will last. I got 12K miles out of it on my F800GS. I have one on my R1100GS, 9K miles so far and it looks like I will get at least 2K more.
  16. Twistgrip

Twistgrip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought an 2011 Stelvio NTX in January '13. One owner from new,with only 2200 miles on the clock,'tis immaculate:D
    In 47 years of motorcycling,(never been without a bike)it's my first Guzzi. So far,although I've only put about 500 miles on it,(too much snow and salt on the roads) I think I'm going to like this bike. I plan to fit a sidecar to it later in the year.
    Question; What does NTX stand for? Even the Guzzi dealer that I got it from,doesn't know!
  17. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    NTX is a name they used previously a few decades ago for a small block (?) on/off road bike, so I guess they're giving the Stelvio a heritage with by adding the NTX moniker.
  18. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Non Too Xspecial?
    Not The Xperiment?
    Nasty Tasting Xperience?
    Notably Terrific X (X being the filler word of your choice?)
  19. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    <TABLE id=AcrFinder class=AcrFinder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TH>Acronym</TH><TH>Definition</TH></TR><TR cat="8"><TD class=acr>NTX</TD><TD>Neutralized Transport Experiment</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  20. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect