Yet Another 76 YZ400 Project Build

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Scootern29, Mar 18, 2013.

1. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    A 250 would look good with my 175..but I dont ride trials and also have a TLR200 trials bike..go figure :hmmmmm

hey thats not you with the '69 DT 1B parts bike on craigslist is it ? if it is..lets make a deal :evil
  2. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not me but I am bidding on one on ebay. I want the shocks.
  3. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Besides dealing with my neighbors VW buggy I did get the motor in the frame and it has ton's "O" spark. Yippee

[​IMG]

I started on getting the pipe in the frame as a mock up. I have to order gaskets for the joints tomorrow.

[​IMG]
  4. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
    How about an aluminum swing arm? :deal:ear:freaky
  5. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    Machined down? Indeed, you truly are a PRO. I would have taken my angle grinder to them and whacked 'em off. :lol3
  6. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually have a full suspension package for a 79 YZ 250 that would probably fit, but it would take away from the originality of the bike. But you never know...........I almost thought about making it a twin shock. :eek1
  7. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    That bike would make a good classic class bike in the d37 gp's :evil
  8. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would be a fun ride but not competitive against the 78-79 Honda's or Yamaha's
  9. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spent yesterday having an early Easter party with the family. I didn't get a whole lot done before, just put the carb in some Pinesol for cleaning. But after lunch I started working on the pipe. I had sprayed the pipe with some black to keep it form rusting while waiting for the right time to install it. So I wire wheeled the paint off. I hadn't noticed this dent in the front of it.

[​IMG]

I had done a procedure on my KTM pipe to take a dent out of it and figured I would try it with this pipe. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME.......IT COULD KILL YOU ARE SOMEONE ELSE. Luckily I had allready had this happen so I was prepared. It will blow the cap off the end about a scrillion miles and hour. :eek1

An air fitting on one end of the pipe and a Jim-Cap on the other end.

[​IMG]

Pull out the torch heat it up and add air. It should pop out.

[​IMG]

It popped out about 2/3rds of the dent before the cap blew off and landed about 70 yards away out in the desert.
  10. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe more updates later today. Been busy racin and stuff.
  11. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I notice the CZ engine sitting under the counter just in case.
    You never know.

I just picked up an ugly 1975 MX250 with a white MX400 alu tank on it,luckily it was pretty cheap what with the end broken off the crank,came with a spare engine that looks to be a DT250.
    There might be something useful on it.

Handy being able to build your own shock from scratch.
  12. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are actually 2 CZ motors sitting under the bench. I may have a plan to put one in a 1986 KTM chassis just because I can.

Good score on the parts. Parts is parts.
  13. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Before I went to the races last week I put the carb in a Pinesol concoction for about 36 hours. It cleaned up real well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also received parts that I am going to start installing hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

[​IMG]
  14. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find the Cran-Apple cleans those carbs very well AND it's pretty tasty over ice.
  15. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    The 400 is looking good. I like the dent removal technique I will have to remember that one.

I got a text the other day and it seems our mutual buddy picked up the TY..cool :clap
  16. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The heat and air is cool but can be very dangerous if you are standing in the wrong place. But then again there might not be a right place. LOL

Yep our friend wanted it. He will have fun with it.
  17. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool stuff Ray.
  19. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to go to the chiropractor yesterday to get adjusted as I was way out of wack after the last weekend with the races. I figured in the afternoon I would install the clutch cable. I didn't really think about looking at the old cable till after I made this nut to help with locking the stationary end.

[​IMG]

It just didn't seem right. I pulled out the old cable that I had stashed away and lo and behold it is the wrong cable. I bought it off Ebay from a seller who I won't mention, who supplies lots of vintage Yamaha parts. Now I will have to wait till he sends me another one or I get it some where else.

I went ahead and assembled the carb and changed out the idle screw. I like the spring jobs better than the one with the locknut.

[​IMG]

I installed the new cable into the slide and got it ready for mounting. Somehow I had broken the needle off when I put all the parts in a box for later use. Luckily I had the right needle to replace it.

[​IMG]
  20. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I installed the new air boot and some new hose clamps I had laying around. They are hex head instead of phillips but I don't really care as this is not a concourse restoration.

[​IMG]

Put the carb cap on and snaked the cable throught the frame and hooked it up to the throttle. It was cool too hear the wonderful sound of SNAP as the slide returned in the carb. Life is real good.

[​IMG]