dual sport comparison

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by rmcelroy, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I would rather have the 690 as well. But then I actually have one. :lol3 It's spent most of the 27K miles I've racked up on it with the 17" wheels.

When I first read your post about track riding I thought you meant a MX track which is the reason I mentioned the smaller bikes. The 690 would great for a road race track. I had mine out at Eagles Canyon Raceway before which isn't a great motard track and it was still a lot of fun. My track bike at the time SXV 550 and the 690 actually handled a little bit better then the Ape, it just couldn't touch it on HP though.
  2. rmcelroy

rmcelroy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    gotcha. yea, your earlier suggestions did get me looking into the Husky TE bikes. If I did go the Husky route it would probably be the TE511 you mentioned. I will probably be test riding a 449 soon just to see what they are like. but I am almost certain I will be going for the 690.
  3. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    The primary difference is the design intent / mission profile. The Husky Terra is like an upscale KLR. Meaning gravel road, ADV touring, light trail use, back-roads bike. Not a dirt bike. Not a track bike. Way too heavy for what you want. Where it is assembled has no bearing on quality. Seems to be a fine machine.

I believe the 690 is what you want, based on what you stated you want it to do.

A used TE 610 / 630 would do fine too for less money.
  4. Tachedoutoffroad

Tachedoutoffroad Mr. Parrish

Oddometer:
    you just missed out. a buddy had a 610TE setup with a set of SM wheels and tires too in Birmingham. Sold last week.

my 610s were great 1-bike garage rides. easy maintain, sexy, good power. Would run 90 down the interstate and awesome in the twities.

My 450s were AMAZING in the mountain twisties and below 50mph. SUCK above 55-60 and over 20min of straight/ middle Alabama rds.

If you want everday hooligan, fire rds, some powerlines, and ocassional track day= 610
    trailer to trails, track, and trailer it to NC/TN Mts= 450/510

....never ridden a KTM
  5. merc16

merc16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm in for this thread. I have been trying to decide on another bike for the same conditions.
  6. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Terra's engine is made in China?...how in the heck did you find this out....stamped on the engine case?.
  7. merc16

merc16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ear bump
  8. Crazy_Dave

Crazy_Dave Back'in it in

Oddometer:
    Unless Husky’s have changed since my 04 Sm450R they have a very close ratio transmission. I hated it on the road. The 610/630 has w W/T. But I like 450's that’s why I went to a KTM 450EXC with two sets of shoes street/dirt.
  9. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Steveman

Steveman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1, see, that exactly describes (a lot more detailed) why I recommend to go for a 690 (post #9). With a set of sumo wheels this little bastard is definitely a multi purpose bike. Till today I have not found/seen anything better for road and offroad! :1drink

cheers Steve
  11. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    i had a 690smc, loved it. i was faster on that then my gsxr600 on the patriot course at VIR.
    690 with street and dirt set-up is just too damn perfect.
  12. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, pretty damn nice setup for many types of riding.

OP, know it is much easier to go from 690 enduro and add 17inch rims than to go from SMC to a 21/18 setup.
  13. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think the bikes can be compared because they are in different classes. The Terra weighs about 85-90 lbs more than the 690, has shorter travel suspension (7.5" vs 9.84"), a lower seat height 34.4 vs 35.83 and identical service intervals (10,000 KM). The weight alone is not something that really can be changed very much and was the selling point for me on the 690.

The 690 also costs 32% more ($3,300) then the Terra which is a completely different price point.

For what the OP said he's looking to use the bike for I'd say the Terra will suffice. Of course if money is no object then I'd say the 690 all the way....
  14. Myfuture_yourdebt

Myfuture_yourdebt Banned

Oddometer:
    I'd concur with the above...the 690R Enduro and Terra aren't exactly competitors. It seems like the Terra is for people who want what they wish they got with a KLR (very much a compromise bike in all respects)...whereas the 690R is for people who want a compromise in ability but no compromise in performance.
  15. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty much, however keep in mind I've seen people do gnarlier stuff on a KLR then some people do on their 450's/500's so it's all about how much ability, skill, and desire you have.

In thinking about this since my last post I've decided that my best advice is to test ride each. Perhaps bribe a couple local inmates to come over to your place and then test ride their bikes for some beer. Nothing helps make up someone's mind better then seat time. 's what I did before deciding to sell my 950 and get a 690.
  16. Valimagdon

Valimagdon Scooter Boy

Oddometer:
    Husqvarna SM610 or TE610. I had a TE610, and it was a crazy fast and light machine. AH-mazing. Plus they'll be cheaper since they'll be used.
  17. Myfuture_yourdebt

Myfuture_yourdebt Banned

Oddometer:
    I know, I did Rampart's Devil's Slide uphill on my KLR and only needed my riding partners' help once. Then a year later I tried the same on my WR450 and there was a fallen tree at the top of the worst hill climb that I couldn't get around because the whole area was just so damn loose, more so than when I was there last on the KLR. I had to turn around, and that made my KLR laugh at my WR when we got home. Then the WR pointed at me and I just went :dunno Ability is 90% rider, 10% vehicle.
  18. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last plan now for 690 is getting a 19" rim laced to a hub I've already got and together with the 17" rear wheel I've also already got (3 in fact). Then it's REALLY a dual sport bike. Also lowers bike a bit the ER is very tall...

Planning for 2 week trip to North Cape in July, doing coastal road up and through Finland and Sweden with lots of gravel back...but no technical stuff. So wasn't sure if should use 17"/17" or 21"/18" till saw thread on this forum with 19"/17" conversions. Could probably manage fine with 17"/17" and dual sport tyres but hoping next summer to do some more technical roads in alps so will test if 19"/17" works fine.

Still some issues to figure out though, what tyres do i use, more knobbly for best grip on gravel or more road biased for better tarmac grip. The other is do i use my ER or SMC forks (probably will use my ER forks).