Nowhere Near Ramona

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by WHYNOWTHEN, Jun 21, 2012.

1. chasbo

chasbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently sold my 08 990 man. Same color, same sick feeling inside watching it leave. That bike stirred my soul and always left me with a smile on my face. Right away, I picked up a really nice 625SXC that is just so damn kick ass, but I still miss the 990. Money IS an object in my family and we needed it to do a recent move, so I know I did the right thing. Still hurts. I am happy that the sale of that bike helped us through a tough time. I know I did the right thing. I feel your pain. :deal
  2. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Bye bye 990, we'll miss you.
  3. WHYNOWTHEN

WHYNOWTHEN where are the pedals?

Oddometer:
    "Hey, wait up guys. I have found something here!"

[​IMG]

"Look, I found a motorcycle laying in the bushes!"

[​IMG]

New technique for the steeps?

[​IMG]

Gas station.
    "No se fia" apparently means - No credit!

[​IMG]

The gas station attendant is wondering why this gringo has stolen George Castanza's wallet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another beautiful ride near Ramona. After extensive testing I was sure that Rollergirl's bike is OK to ride. Rollergirl, on the other hand, is still waiting for the results from her MRI. Still hurts a lot to take her shirt off.
  4. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:

just went out and watched this weekends District 37 race. Not the thing to do when you're arms in 6 pieces for a couple months as I'm jonesing more than ever for some fun rides. I have another friend down in your neck of the woods so if I head south I'll drop you a pm for a dinner someplace if you're bored.

5. WHYNOWTHEN

Oddometer:
    TravelToad is dead to me!

He is going to a Dodgers game instead of riding next weekend. I don't even know what the Dodgers do, but I'm sure it can't be anywhere near as much fun as riding 60 miles of new single track near Ramona!
  6. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I am not sure I know what the Dodgers do either (I assume they play dodge ball)... but I do know how hard it is to say no when my 8yo son says "Dad, you are coming with us, right?"
  7. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some crazy track there:eek1
    Hope rollergirl speedy recovery.
  8. WHYNOWTHEN

Oddometer:
    Ok buddy, if you are watching dodge-ball with your kid we can still be friends. Dodge-ball seems like it would be fun to watch for about the first 5 minutes. :rofl
  9. WHYNOWTHEN

Oddometer:
    Haven't checked my camera for a few trips. Uploaded a few weekends worth of fun memories.

Last pic of my big 990 on the trail.

[​IMG]

Gary is the guy that did a fly and ride and is apparently loving being the next person owned by the 990. He took the looong way home and even threw in a 20 mile long Death Valley sand wash. I am very happy for him and the bike that they are enjoying each other.

This next pic is of our favorite Taco stand in Tecate. If you happen to be driving by, stop and have a few!

[​IMG]
  10. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Yum yum, tacos!:clap
  11. WHYNOWTHEN

Oddometer:
    OOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

When Rollergirl saw this, she said I wasn't allowed to test ride her bike anymore. The push out of the canyon sucked, but then Ted-the-wonderful was able to tow me 15 miles back to camp.
  12. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it out!:clap

We coulda fixed that.:deal
  13. team ftb

Oddometer:
    Bet there will be some JB weld or Quicksteel carried added to your spares kit now eh? Looks like you were having fun at least so I'm deeply envious. Why were you towed back with the stator cover cracked? Was it not possible to pry the offending piece off the stator and ride out? I'm betting that cost you a nice dinner out to appease the rightful owner of the bike:D.
  14. WHYNOWTHEN

Oddometer:
    I am not very mechanically minded. When I see a hole in my engine with oil coming out, the first thing that I think is that I shouldn't ride it any more. I tend to take my bikes to the local shop to fix them. I work with trees for a living, and anything mechanical or computer based may as well be magic. I don't have much idea of what magical things are going on inside my phone or my engine. When they break I feel like the magic is escaping, and that I need a well qualified person to fix it. My mechanic feels the same way about trees.

I do realize that this sounds ridiculous and makes me seem like a simpleton. I will check with the wizard at the local orange colored store, and hopefully have better info if this ever happens again.

The rightful owner of the bike will get extra stroking! She actually was way less upset than I expected. Probably because she can't ride yet, so it wasn't inconvenient for her.
  15. team ftb

Oddometer:

Don't worry I feel the same way many a time, haha. Good thing is it all ended well, you got home and will be doing more riding to keep us all stoked.
    More pics and stoke puhleeeze.
  16. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Unsolicited advice. :deal

To avoid this kind of problem, just always keep the rubber bits on the rocks. Not the metal ones. :D
  17. holmes.g

holmes.g n00b

Oddometer:
    The road is bad,but the ride fit it,nice:clap
  18. WHYNOWTHEN

Oddometer:
    Haven't ridden for a while.
    Jonesing!
  19. WHYNOWTHEN

Oddometer:
    Memories.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems like all we do is lie down and rest a bunch. In our defense, it is getting a little warmer.

[​IMG]

Need a Baja fix!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. WHYNOWTHEN

Oddometer:
    Here are a few pics I had forgotten about. Not Baja!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were way out in the desert when these fools came blazing by. Not sure if they were drug dealers or CIA. Blacked-out Tahoe. Things are never this exciting south of the border.

[​IMG]