I'm starting to get the anti-HD vibe

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DynaSport, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The irony here is friggin' hilarious. :rofl

The point that many seem to be missing is that this "ride your own ride and be courteous" mindset can not be one sided. You don't get to tell others they should or must let you by when you aren't willing to understand that perhaps you should or must allow them to enjoy their ride as well. Again, it goes both ways.

Personally I prefer to be courteous and let people pass but I don't have to nor do I get my panties in a twist when people don't let my ride as fast as I would like to be riding.
  2. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait, so to enjoy their leisurely cruise, it is essential to it that no else get to go around them? Bullshit. If I come up behind someone, I am 100% fine with letting that person enjoy his ride. That's great. I'm not asking him to speed up, or to change his riding style or plan. All I am asking is that he let me enjoy mine as well. If he lets me pass, then I'm off and gone, and not interfereing with his ride or his enjoyment one tiny little bit -- no conflict, no problem. But if he creates a conflict, then there is going to be tension, and *neither* of us will be enjoying our rides as much (unless he actually does get enjoyment out of making other people upset, in which case he's a genuine ass and deserves no consideration in return). What the hell good does that do, for anyone?

The situation is not symmetrical. The guy who wants to pass is NOT interfering in any way with the person who wants a slower ride. He just wants to be allowed to go on his way, and leave the other guy to ride however he wants, and thus each gets his own way, and BOTH can be happy with their respective rides. The slow guy who blocks the faster guy, OTOH, is being an ass, because he is not content to enjoy his own ride in his own way and let others do the same.

PhilB
  3. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    ahhh, no wonder, you wear panties...thanks for clearing that up. :evil:lol3

When I approach slower riders I always try to give them a chance to be courteous first. If it's safe to pass I'll go that route, if they are being total asshats, it's not safe to pass, and it starts ruining my ride I usually just stop, or change directions for a while.

If anyone pulls up on me during a ride I allow them to pass ASAP. Because I want them to enjoy their own ride, don't like anyone following too close, and more importantly, do not want them to try a stupid pass that'll get us all in a bind :deal
  4. scrannel

scrannel Scrannel

Oddometer:
    I'm beginning to think I liked it better when we were 1% - ers. Back then the dorks who are now road hogs were all kept in cars. But their attitude sure hasn't changed: they still hate bikers.
  5. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Hah,NICE!! :lol3 I knew that someone would quote it like that after I hit submit. :rofl

I agree with the underlined part. There seems to be a misunderstanding here. Are we discussing blocking or are we discussing simply not being accommodating? I am referring to the latter. There is zero excuse for intentional blocking unless you are a LEO.
  6. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    But it is symmetrical. Both simply want to enjoy their ride and to do so without being f'ed with. If the passer expects the slower rider to pull into a pull-off then the person pulling over IS having their ride interfered with. I am by no means defending intentional blocking, merely pointing out that expecting others to get off of "your" road so that you can act like Johnny Racer Boy unencumbered isn't a reasonable expectation. Getting angry that they are simply riding along while obeying the law is illogical and unwarranted.
  7. scrannel

scrannel Scrannel

Oddometer:
    What are you driving, a manure spreader? If not, and you're riding a bike, try moving over four feet. I can make room for bikes when I'm driving a car without having to pull off the road. How is this even an issue? Unless you are driving a piece of farm equipment, of course.
  8. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

You seem to have missed that I am not referring to myself. Just so that it is clear, I am not referring to myself. :deal
  9. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    Around here, pulling over to let faster traffic pass is practiced so often it is part of the local social mores.

Sorry it's not where you're at.
  10. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you read it in jest as I intended as well...:D

To me if a faster rider is on your tail, and you continue riding your ride ignoring it, you are blocking. Ease over a little, and wave them on through, it's not only courteous, but the smart thing to do.

We were riding the Dragon one afternoon 2up just enjoying the scenery. Two guys came up on us pretty quickly, I simply eased over to the right, and waved them past. Then I decided to stay with them for a spell, it was fun until the whack upside my helmet came from the rear...:lol3
  11. scrannel

scrannel Scrannel

Oddometer:
    Sorry, unlike Mitt you have to own a position you take. And it is your position.
  12. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I agree but you seem to have missed what my position is. :thumb
  13. scrannel

scrannel Scrannel

Oddometer:
    Yes, you are rationalizing people blocking roads based on their interpretation of self-appreciated road-happiness. But of course, that's a totally, self-indulgent delusion. Or, as Freud would say:

"The oral stage begins at birth, when... the child preoccupies himself with nursing, with the pleasure of sucking and accepting things into the mouth. The oral character who is frustrated at this stage, whose mother refused to nurse him on demand or who truncated nursing sessions early, is characterized by pessimism, envy, suspicion, sarcasm... and blocking roads."
  14. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap

I explained WHY it is NOT symmetrical -- if slow guy lets fast guy by, BOTH get to enjoy their rides; if he doesn't, then one or both of them does not. How can you argue with that?

This.

And this.

And this.

:lol3 And this.

PhilB
  15. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    :lol3

It's simply a case of fact vs opinion.

My opinion is that people hogging the road or not "helping" others pass is that they are more than likely assholes but the fact is that I do not know them. Maybe they aren't great riders. Maybe they just aren't understanding of the "I want to pass you" type of signal. Maybe they have some other reason. The other truth is that (on a two lane road like 129) they really don't have any obligation to accommodate you unless they are riding below the speed limit or below the average speed of other motorists.

Me? I hate it when people won't let me pass and when I am the "slow" guy on the road, I do my best to allow others to safely pass. I also understand that is what I want to do and that no one needs to oblige me one way or another. :dunno
  16. sargev55

sargev55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

lets take it a little further, road blockers are assholes, whether in a car or on a bike. creating a blocked in situation endangers everyone, especially when its a bunch of cars around a motorcycle, then you have no escape path.
  17. dbuzz

dbuzz Citizen of the world

Oddometer:
    :huh I didn't realise that overtaking other vehicles was such a problem for otherwise competent riders :*sip*
  18. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rolleyes There are plenty of places where the roads are twisty and safe passing opportunities are few and far between. Indeed, that's exactly the sort of place where these kinds of conflicts are highly likely to occur.

Sheesh.

PhilB
  19. ShardPhoenix

ShardPhoenix Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer:
    I've got no problems with just letting someone get by me. No skin off of my nose, and I'd rather someone go by than have them park in my tailpipe.

My day doesn't change because someone passes me.
  20. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    Somewhere on the innerwebs there's a thread in which a bunch of pirates are ^5ing each other for blocking rice burners on what should have been a fun day for everybody.

Don't go too far out of your way to be courteous, one safe pullout opportunity should suffice.