Noob Terlingua, TX rides?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by edsel, Nov 23, 2012.

1. edsel

edsel OOF!

Oddometer:
    I have a KTM 950 Supermoto and my wife rides a BMW G650GS. Neither of us have much dirt riding experience and I was wondering if anyone out there could point us to any "beginner" rides in the Terlingua area. Thanks
  2. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    FM170 between Lajitas and Presidio. Great road.
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  4. Coastalcop

Coastalcop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get a Big Bend map, has lots of dirt trails in the park, Steer clear of Black Gap road, my info is a couple years old but it was 18 inches of pea gravel when I was there and had a stair step at the Gap to give you shudders, it may have changed but it wasnt novice country then, Old maverick road is a nice clear dirt road that is a joy to break you in for big bend easy riding and lots of fun (info two months old)

You can ride PARTS of the Terlingua ranch roads, but most are classified as private property and owners only.

Im planning on going next week on my Super T before winter really sets in,

Lots of inmates around here ride the area. the General store is neat, save some time to have a beer on the porch and chat with the locals, and the Starlight Theather has great grub and varied entertainment

Warning though , you will get hooked, thankfully land is super cheap if you feel like you need a few acres on the ranch for access to over 1200 miles of privated unpaved road and splendid views!
  5. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    I must be drunk or blind, or drunk. I saw "supermoto" pavement stuck in my head. In my experience, Old Maverick Road is an excellent piece of starter gravel and connects to both some lovely scenery and the fun to ride Ross Maxwell scenic drive. The short bit of gravel leading to the Hot Springs isn't much but the hot springs are. The River Road, from the East, is fun and easy for several miles and you can simply turn around when you start thinking it's a bit more rugged than you'd like. The roads all change as they get graded every so often, and the rangers will be able to tell you whether they've been washed out or not.

There's plenty of good gravel in the park, but it's good to not ride alone on a big bike because get-offs do happen..

Cannonshot's documentation of the area is very good, and the park maps are excellent as well.

Have fun!

John
  6. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    If you can only ride one road this is the one..:thumb.. East to west early in the day or west to east late.
  7. jimbowie

jimbowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am a little confused. I thought FM170 was a paved road. Is it not?
  8. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Indeed it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. mbabc

mbabc Journeyman Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Man...I need to get back there. FM-170 in the canyon. Place puts a hook in you.

[​IMG]

Great advise from CS and SSF.
  10. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    That is a beautiful photograph. Damn. :deal

john
  11. mbabc

mbabc Journeyman Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Golly, thanks John. High praise from the master photographer!
  12. Coastalcop

Coastalcop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok just got back from a 1400 mile two day trip to Big Bend/ Terlingua (ride report on Monday probably)

I didnt take the heavier off road stuff (skid plate didnt make it to me before I left), but old Maverick is fine, and i was advised that all the dirt road are OK right now if you go slow (Black Gap being the exception)

170 (River Road) is ok but a couple of the low water areas have a little sediment on the road, nothing to worry about though) and TX DOT is in the process of replacing guardrails and have traffic down to one lane in some areas, just follow the flagman signs and dont be suprised if only one in three actually has people working at it.

67 from Presidio to Marfa is fine. The town square in Marfa is great as always, grab something from the "Food Shark" truck,neat folks

The McDonald Observatory will bring out the supermoto in you for sure(of course so will river road)

118 from Alpine to Study Butte is clear and fun as always.

Did not see the Marfa lights this time, but dont recommend it unless you can follow a cager back to your sleeping area (due to the wildlife crossing the road)

Temps are still good in the region and while I recommend layering it is still FAR more comfortable than August.

Anyway, enjoy, its great country
  13. privateer

privateer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also make sure you stop in at the La Kiva in town.
  14. Kurt

Kurt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Big Bend!!! :clap

[​IMG]