BMW Navigator GPS on GSW

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by labenske, Oct 7, 2011.

1. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    gr8ridn;

I am not sure I understood you correctly... Do you mean that with the BMW headset the GSW wheel controls the MP3 volume level ? No other will control through the wheel ?

I, too, can control the volume through my bluetooth receiver, however it is not as convenient as if I could control the volume through the GSW wheel.

Andre
  2. gr8ridn

gr8ridn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That control wheel controls other things as well, but the BMW headset is the only BT receiver that will vary volume with the twist of the control wheel. I don't like it , but that was the way it was with my 2011 RT. You understand what I said perfectly.
  3. paulhdick

paulhdick Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have been using the Nav V for two days now and all is well so far. Investigated why the Nav V was tighter in the Nav IV cradle and it appears the extended ribs near the connector area on the Nav V was interfering a bit with the tapered section on the mount. All I had to do was make the taper a little bit more square in the mount and it goes in easily now. I used a Dremel tool to square it off in the area near the red arrows. Saved $100 on buying a new mount.

[​IMG]

All else is fine so far. I personally feel the Garmin Smartphone Link was worth the $799 cost of admission. Live Traffic works great which is a feature I wish I had on the Nav IV. Also, being able to send a "contact" to the Nav V directly works great. Advance Weather nice as well. Those with GSWs and 1600s have no excuse not to buy one IMHO and all I have is a lowly '09 GS. Big, bright, and crisp ....

[​IMG]
  4. LarryGee

LarryGee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3. Sorry...couldn't resist.....
  5. LarryGee

LarryGee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got the Nav V. Unwrapped it, plugged it in, registered it and did the suggested map update......

3 HOURS !!! :huh

No, I don't have dial up....
  6. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:

Could you explain those features? I have a Nav IV on my RT and am wondering what the price of admission for a Nav V will change for me.
  7. Flying Tivo

Flying Tivo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He was referring to the cost of buying a new Nav V!

Felipe
  8. paulhdick

Oddometer:
    You should download the "Garmin Smartphone Link" to your Android or iPhone and take a look at it. It is free to download.

[​IMG]

I am subscribed to Advanced Weather and Live Traffic.

[​IMG]

With the Nav IV (and all other Garmin GPS's I have now) I am always adding new favorites (waypoint) in MapSource or Basecamp which I typically already had in my work or personal Google contacts on my computer/phone. All I need to do now is go to the Smartphone Link which reads my contacts and select the ones I want sent to the Nav V even before connected to it. Next time the link is made (ie riding the bike) the favorites are automatically transferred, or you can do it real-time when connected. This saves a lot of time pulling the GPS off the bike, opening it up connecting to the computer or adding it manually on the bike. Never understood why this could not be made to happen with today's technology, but now it is so.

Live Traffic is the best GPS traffic subscription I have used so far. I have a FM Traffic subscription for my auto GPS's which actually works on the Nav IV using the auto cradle, but not when in the bike cradle. The FM traffic was okay, but Live Traffic is much better and even the way traffic shows up on screen is better. Works with just the iPhone or together when paired.

[​IMG]

Advanced Weather is a nice to have if trying to avoid bad weather while riding. The bad areas show up on the phone and/or GPS and will avoid those areas if you so choose.

[​IMG]

Try the Smartphone Link program and see what you think.
    mosey.levy likes this.
  9. Pstmstr

Pstmstr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any of you guys having problems connecting the NAV V to a Mac after the Mavericks OS upgrade?
  10. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Did work for me this morning. Although I had to re-install Garmin Express, I thought I had installed it on that computer, but I might be wrong on that.
  11. mefly2

mefly2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My screen went to a dark background Sat night as well ... I wonder if there is an auto brightness that is triggered by a photocell data line on the GSW ? The instructions are sketchy at best and I haven't yet taken the time to read the on line version... too busy getting in ride time before the snow hits tonight / tomorrow.
  12. Bails

Bails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder which decade it will be when we will be able to buy the V in Australia for double the price ?
  13. Voz

Voz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HaHa, have patience my son, your wallet will be emptied soon I am sure, lol.
  14. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to pan the screen using the wheel?
  15. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:

I couldn't locate any information regarding how the Nav-V interfaces with the bike as far as the screen brightness control goes.
    I did a 150 mile ride yesterday and the brightness slider worked perfectly so I would speculate that the issue I had the previous day was a glitch.
  16. paulhdick

Oddometer:
    All newer Garmin GPS's switch between day and night modes at sunrise and sunset respectively. It is based upon your actual location, so if in Fairbanks, Alaska during the summer it pretty much stays on day all the time.

You can adjust the brightness at each level when it is on that level and the GPS will keep the level that % each time it switches. Default for night is 20%. If you go to Settings - Display - Color Mode you can select day, night, or auto, for background changes. Default is auto.
  17. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Emoto;

If you refer to the map screen, no; only zoom in and zoom out. Its done by turning the wheel in either direction.

Andre
  18. mefly2

mefly2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    10-4 ... perhaps it is an auto darken feature ... for night riding. I will post if I figure it out.
  19. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:

And just to be sure, you're not confusing Auto, Day/Night mode with the Brightness control?
  20. MarcParnes

MarcParnes Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,
    I've paired my Android Razr Maxx and my Sena-10 to the new Nav V but I must be doing something wrong. The Nav sees the incoming call but touching the answer button does nothing. It just continues to ring till I answer it on the phone itself. The phone and Nav show that they are connected as does the Sena and the Nav but its like the phone to Nav has only a partial connection insufficient to answer calls, etc. Some of the other functions work fine like the contact list and the new Smartlink. If I could just get the basic phone answering, etc to work it'd be great. Before the Nav V I simply had the Sena paired to the phone which works fine but having all the other options using the Nav V in the mix would be better.

Has anyone been able to get this setup to work and if so, anything I might be missing?

Thanks,
    Marc