The Tenere Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by LC8TY, Oct 1, 2008.

1. x86

x86 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know that I will lose a lot on road with a bigger sprocket, but if I manage to shorten the second gear I'm happy. If I will have to do go on road for long distances in one hour I can put back the 45 one.

I'l write on the topic the results with the 47, but for the moment here is winter and I just made a top end rebuild and I will not get off the road until I finish the grinding.
  2. Cooky2159

Cooky2159 Croozin

Oddometer:
    Galston, Australia's premiere step off point
    Hey Tenney Owners,

My question for you all today relates to your handlebars and the rubber damping sleeves that fit into the fork head and subsequently hold the handle bars on.

I have put a set of Rox Risers into my bike as I am on the tall side and needed soem extra heaight when out of the saddle.

The problem that I have now is that the movement that I had in the handle bars has increased. This all makes sense that I've raised the bars, but I'd like to know just what sort of movement is acceptable. To my mind it's way too much. I have bought a new sets of sleeves but can't for the life of me get the old ones out.

Any thoughts ??

Thanks

Cooky
  3. Cooky2159

Cooky2159 Croozin

Oddometer:
    Hey mate,

I just noticed the front guard you have on there. It's amazing how much better that looks. What's it off ??

Cooky

4. damo2010

damo2010 damo

Oddometer:
    Hi cooky

I went to toowoomba wreckers and went through there pile and pulled out a reasonable condition one.
    I picked one with a back that drops quickly to provid clearance to the radiator grill.
    I also picked a second handy aa a trial as i knew overheating would be an issue. To o ercoe the cooling, ive had to cut quite a few vent hole in the rear of the guard. It is still not good for qld summers an will need more work with
  5. damo2010

damo2010 damo

Oddometer:
    Sorry, had to go to a meeting. Back now.
    I still nedd to do more work to improve the air flow to the radiator. Am thinking about closing gap between side of rad and side fairing to stop air bypassing the rad. Will be out of sight also.
    I have to provide some more details on mouting it for jono660, so stay tuned.
    Damo
  6. damo2010

damo2010 damo

Oddometer:
    BTW. It was a old aftermarket guard. Acebis have one that looked like it would work ok.
  7. damo2010

damo2010 damo

Oddometer:
  8. damo2010

damo2010 damo

Oddometer:
    Waho. Just figured out posting photo from photobucket using my android phone.
    This was a dry sandy creek north east of Roma.
  9. JimmieDK

JimmieDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know what sort of movement that would be accetable, I'd guess it's up to you. I myself couldn't stand it and pressed the OEM bushes out of the top triple, and installed a set of hard plastic ones for almost zero movment. Got them from Kedo-Germany.
  10. damo2010

damo2010 damo

Oddometer:
    Do you need the bushes or can you bolt directly to the triple.

I ask as i am currently loking at using some skinny mounts so i can fit my steer damper between the mounts and was thinking about doing away with the rubbers as i also have found the handle bars move a lot.
  11. Cooky2159

Cooky2159 Croozin

Oddometer:
    Hey Jimmie,

How did you manage to press the bushes out of the triple. I've tried that and it's ferkin hard???

12. JimmieDK

JimmieDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used a bench vice. They were stuck in there pretty good, I actually broke a vice in the process. Admittedly a low quality one. Maybe it could have been avoided if the garage, and hence the parts have not been freezing at the moment (it was well below -10C).
    A hydralic press should not be needed, although it might ease the job.

I guess it would be possible to remove the sleeve in the bushing, and carefully jack the outer collar to make it possible to remove with a chisel or similar.
  13. miszterember

miszterember Adventurer

Oddometer:
    a
  14. wide

wide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking of getting an XTZ660... trying to find a twin headlamp model. Would like to hear some views on how they cruise on tarmac ... at what speed is comfy, I could also get a Domminator but think a water cooled single will be better and quicker slightly.
    Particularly interested in how they would compare to a Transalp 600.... both near same weight, same power but one being a twin and one obviously a single
  15. vander

vander full-time dreamer

Oddometer:
    If your interest is more on how will they compare on tarmac, get a Transalp.
    Both are good bikes, one better offroad, the other better on the road.

Me & my '91 XTZ feel comfy at 110kmh all day long. You can go faster but then she will start to drink oil. Normally I just sit at 100 and enjoy. Other people say the bike is great touring at 130-140. I dont feel ok with her too much time at that speed, I could be too mawkish though.

The XTZ660 3YF is lighter than the transalp. In my book 168 for the Yammie, 183 the Honda, both dry.
  16. damo2010

damo2010 damo

Oddometer:
    Well thats interesting to know about using oil over 100km/h
    I do find any sustained speed over 110km/h uses lots of fuel
    I did some hard riding just before xmas and found I was using oil. I thought it might have been the engine running hot due to the high front guard, but your comment might mean that they don't like to be flog to hard for long periods.
    I do agree with you, keep the pace down a bit and you can ride all day. Best part is when you want to give it a bit more, it still responds. Overtaking on the highway is pretty good, but not like your on a sports bike or anything.

I can't provide any comparison to the Transalp as never riden one let alone known anyone with one.
    I have a high screen on my bike which does help on long legs
  17. wide

wide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cheers for that, and Im swaying towards a Transalp, as Ive toured France on one and know its higher speed capabilities and being a v twin is always going to be nice for that. But the Tenere is about the same bhp and quite a few kgs lighter so thought as it was a water cooled and 660 it could go with 70/75 mph touring speed, which I think is 120 ish kmh. I mean I can understand a Domminator doing 60mph/100kph as they are old school air chilled???
  18. miszterember

miszterember Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. Mattyvas

Mattyvas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine with a couple of friends away over the weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. damo2010

damo2010 damo

Oddometer:
    Hi All

Here is a link to my photobucket with a series of photos of me sorting out how to mount a high guard on my Tenere.
    I have added comments to the photos in photobucket to explain different aspects of the mod
    http://s1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd374/damosoutriding/My%20Tenere%20modifications/

I inadverently added a summary group of photos to the Aussie Tenere forum here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303544&page=20
    So I have just include the end product
    If anyone wants the info here in adv land, let me know

And the finished product
    [​IMG]