L. A. ADVenture Rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Mar 5, 2008.

1. S H I F T Y

S H I F T Y Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shit I don't know any of that area all that well. Rode to the Rock Inn for the first time with YOU like six months ago. Rode sawmill to gorman for the first time two weeks ago; and that was alone

And I got new graphics a couple months ago. All red now...
  2. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips. Geomoto has helped with tips too. My biggest thing right now is simply getting someone to do it with me. I don't feel comfortable doing it solo.

As for Todd, I've got a few things I'm working on to address that situation. I've been in touch with a few in Congress (McClintock, Campbell) who touch the National Parks and am trying to get a few journalists to pick it up. Kicking out campers who are fatigued and in need of rest without a lot of other options is a safety issue and based on "congregating" seems to me a first amendment freedom of assembly issue.
  3. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, I thought it was some new model!

Or, try a 48, or +1 on the CS sprocket to smooth out the low end power delivery.

Another option is a larger rear knobby with a larger foot print.

Sun, we're parking at the Gorman main entrance parking lot and hitting LPNF single track/fire roads.

Sat is still up in the air, will nail down by Friday.
  4. tuff enuff

tuff enuff Bloke

Oddometer:
    Get a AAA Kern county map and explore the fire roads in the section of Sequoia between Jawbone and Lake Isabella (Paiute Mtns). There's enough to keep you busy all day, it's noob friendly and lots to see - old mines, sawmill, fire lookout, old ranch cabins and secluded meadows. The Paiutes are at about 4000 feet so it's cool and the entire area is in pine trees. You can stage in Jawbone Cyn and follow the Jawbone road up to the forest. Btw the fire roads are accurately depicted on AAA maps and you can trust the mileages between road junctions.
    Wow, that sounds so good I've almost talked myself into going up there!
  5. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    earl, someone told me that if you have a plated bike and parked outside gorman, you don't have to pay the entrance fee if you're just driving or riding "through". is that correct?

dude, how come you never invited anyone from this thread?....:huh j/k man. enjoy the ride!

todd is a special case, haven't seen one like him yet. even the people we met there know todd for his dedication to the "rules".

if you decide not to do this trip, there's always the WMRS weekend at the end of next month.

i am planning to organize a ride and camp north of mammoth. here's the general plan.

thursday pm - meet at mammoth
    friday am - ride to walker pass and camp overnight
    saturday am - ride back to mammoth via bodie, camp or motel for the night.
    sunday am - ride to wmrs

lots of miles. i still have to find out if the snow at walker pass is gone.
  6. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where exactly you talking about? You would think I would know where Walker pass is. I am running into drifts at the 8-9k' level. All I have found are passable by going around the edges.

7. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    Yup. Tell the people at the kiosk that you are going to the NF and no charge.
  8. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've heard that, but have never done that myself, $5 isn't going to kill me and it goes to keeping the SVRA system running.

Join us if you'd like to, looks like we'll all be on 2 smokes and zinging away Sun!
  9. nsfw

Oddometer:

dammmn! that much still huh..:huh

thanks for the info, lol and that much killed plan #1.

now, go to plan #2, camp somewhere north of bodie near hawthorne and at 7k feet.....yeah jeff, give me some teaser tracks for the ktm rally...:evil
  10. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:

You know that if I drop the pig too many times on this ride you are going to have to lift it for me. :huh
  11. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Working on that this weekend. It was 89 yesterday in Gardnerville so that snow might all be gone by then.

12. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    "big bike-friendly" I bet, huh? :lol3
  13. nsfw

Oddometer:
    that's very untexan to wait for someone help u get the pig up.

oooops!
    small bikes are welcome ........:y0!
    [​IMG]

i heard there will be a gathering of big twins this weekend in your neck of the woods....:D
  14. nsfw

Oddometer:

novos, looks like you're the only one riding this weekend. so, still going to the sequoias?
  15. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    We'll be at CNF with Rich this Sunday.
  16. nsfw

Oddometer:

good for ya! riding with m1, always bring your camping gear, you just never know...:lol3
  17. Crumplefoot

Crumplefoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping I can... had an unexpected expense come up, so my plan to stay in Isabella and ride around before heading home is up in the air...

if I can find that one-star fleabag motel I used last time in Isabella for like $38.00 a night I might still be able to make it happen.

worst case scenario is I'll hit Rowher on Sunday
  18. Elmer_C

Elmer_C Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took a while to find your thread...

We were the riders from Park City who met you guys at the schoolhouse (Elmer_C and Stryka). Later you guys flew by us on the way up the mountain. I think h8chains was tearing up the hill one handed and taking pictures of us as he went by. Later, we saw you at the campground and in Rockville, Utard the next day. When the campground was full on the first night, we stayed in that same spot thanks to the helpful ranger on the KLR.

I can't believe that the other ranger threw you guys out on a Sunday night. The park service needs to stop giving summer jobs to those college kids from the east :).

If you're ever back around Zion / Rockville again send me a pm and I can point you to an unbelievably awesome free campsite.
  19. nsfw

Oddometer:

elmer, we probably crossed path at least 3x that weekend. one at the trumbull school house, in toroweap (i was doing roadside repair) and in rockville utah. similar minds....:clap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

we plan to return, expect a pm from me.....thanks for the offer.
  20. nsfw

Oddometer:
    at the school house. the other riders with me were jim and tim.
    [​IMG]