Have you ever been medically evacuated from a foreign country?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by WhiskeySmith, Mar 9, 2012.

1. WhiskeySmith

WhiskeySmith Lucky to be alive

Oddometer:
    I am guessing that you picked up the tab for the train ride home because your condition did not meet the criteria for MedJet to take care of getting you home. Did MedJet take care of all the logistics of getting the bike home to you?
  2. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No problem, lets get together.
  3. Hollyr

Hollyr Vesterislendingur

Oddometer:
    Yes, broken ribs don't qualify as a hospital stay and criteria is you must be an inpatient. Yes, Medjet took care of all the logistics and there wasn't any hassle at all. I just called them and said my ribs were broken and they took it from there. The funny part was that Allied Van Lines picked up the bike and they have a form where they had to note all the scratches and dints before they loaded it. This was a 40 year old BMW that had been ridden hard for 40 years with absolutely NO cosmetic work done on it. Must have taken them hours to fill out that form. :D
    [​IMG]
  4. WhiskeySmith

Oddometer:
    I found that when filing a claim for medical expenses incurred internationally, Blue Cross Blue Shield (USA) requires the hospital bill line items be listed by date. This means that when you get the printed bill from the hospital, you need to make sure each line item can clearly be associated with a specific date during your stay. Otherwise BCBS might not honor your claim.
  5. WhiskeySmith

Oddometer:
    Something to keep in mind if you are medically evacuated out of a foreign country is the process to have any permits cancelled. For the Temporary Vehicle Import Permit, required for foreign vehicles entering Mexico, be prepared to collect a bit of documentation...with all the i's dotted and t's crossed

At a minimum you will need either a certified copy of the police report that was written as a result of your accident. Or, if that is not available, an original or certified copy of a letter from any/all agencies, such as hospitals, that cared for your injuries. This letter should be written in Spanish and contain your name, address, date of admission, reason for admission (such as motorcycle accident), date of discharge. Any medical restrictions, such as "bed-rest only" for some amount of time, prescriptions given, and "not cleared to drive" until directives should also be included.

If applicable, a letter, written in Spanish, from the insurance company stating that the motorcycle was a total loss and the location, in Mexico, of the moto.

Then, if you were not able to get to the border aduana within the TVIP's fifteen day requirement, after crossing back over the border, you will need to go to a border aduana to have an "ANEXO 6" document filled out and stamped by the aduana. You should probably bring all the aforementioned documents to the aduana to help make your case to get the ANEXO 6. All of this is if your were 1) evacuated out of Mexico without your moto, and 2) your moto was totalled and you are not making arrangements to have it returned to the US.
  6. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far, as I read this thread there is only two people that have actually been evacuated and one of those waqs on a train. Not much useful info.
  7. Kirkster

Kirkster Parts Murderer

Oddometer:
    Try this ride report... Page 20 on... Useful info...

Maggi's ride report
  8. Makalu

Makalu Long timer

Oddometer: