Sportster 883 for regular commute on interstate highways?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by supahman, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Evenflo76

Evenflo76 Cheap and Easy

Oddometer:
    I started on an xl1200low sporty. 2005, I put 11,000 miles on it in one year as my only vehicle. Besides getting a nail in the tire, I had no issues. Very easy to service and never left me stranded.

My riding was commuting and traveling back and forth from Daytona to Tampa. The bike did highway well. There was no windshield so anything over 67mph felt like a wind tunnel. Also, there was no rain protection at all.

I ended up trading it for a Dl650 Wee Strom. The difference was night and day. No more wind tunnel, better rain protection, just as reliable and I didn't have to slow down to parking lot speeds to take a turn. It also could carry more cargo than a volkswagon.

If the 883 is what you got, roll with it. It can be done, but something with a large fairing and larger tank will bring less fatigue.
  2. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 883 can be ridden pretty much anywhere. Plenty of power for freeway use (it's almost 900cc) Some people complain about the noise, vibration, or lack of a zillion HP. Those types would probably be better off on a crotch rocket. The Sportster can be custom tailored any way you want it. There is a large selection of seats, forward controls, shocks, handlebars, exhaust, and anything else you can think of to make it exactly what you want it to be. You can commute with it, or put a windshield and bags on it and ride it cross country. If you are the type who would prefer a motorcycle with an electric motor, a Sportster isn't for you. I like them because they provide a real motorcycling experience. A new one is about the same price as a new Bonneville, but they are totally different bikes. The Bonney is smooth and refined, the Sportster is exactly the opposite.
  3. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an 07 883 with Road King shocks, QD screen with a laminar lip - no buffeting -, Givi topbox on the QD rack and a few other tweaks. I use it for touring, fun, shopping, whatever, about 2500km a month on average. I've had about 60 bikes over the last 40 odd years and the Sportster is one of the top "fun" bikes I've owned. Practically zero maintenance, handles very well if you learn how to push it hard, incredibly economical on fuel, comfortable (I have mids) and best of all, one of the last bikes that feels like a real one.

As far as the original question re highway speeds, I'd try one first if I were you. Mine is as smooth as glass between 3100 and 3400rpm - smoother than a VStrom 650 at 100kmh/60mph, and that's saying something - but at 4000, which is around 120kmh/75mph it is vibrating through the pegs enough to gradually shake my feet off the ends. I'm a long time Brit bike owner, so I'm used to vibration by the way. Some are worse than others, and mine is one the vibey side. Everything is tight but the rubber mounts might be a bit worn, so if you are looking at the used market, try and get the bike out on the highway first.
  4. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    :csm
  5. TINGLER

TINGLER Swamp lips

Oddometer:
    Here's my experience with an 883 and the highway:

My last bike was a DR650. I hated it on the interstate highway. It barely kept up with traffic and it wobbled in the wind anytime anything passed it. I modified it with a pipe and a re-jet and then it was much better on the highway. More power equalled more confidence, but it still wobbled in the wind of passing vehicles. It weighed around 360 lbs.

My current bike is a Harley 883. When I first got it, I hated it on the interstate highway. It shook like an unbalanced washing machine at anything above 65ish. I quickly modified both the exhaust and the aircleaner and of course did a re-jet of the carb. It gained a noticeable amount of power and it smoothed the engine out. Now 70, 80, and 90 are smooth. It has power to pass and it feels real good on the highway at 70 mph. It's not maxed out in other words. The bike weighs in at around 550lbs and the weight makes it planted with no wobbles in the wake of other vehicles. The difference from my last bike is quite dramatic. It's a raw sort of bike with some quirks and I think it takes an aquired taste. I however really enjoy it.

The 883 is more than capable of being a commuter bike.
    shirojiro likes this.
  6. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who are you quoting kraven?
  7. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    There you go.
  8. supahman

supahman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks man! i think this is the answer im looking for..
  9. iBiker

iBiker ADV Pirate

Oddometer:
    West Virginia at the confluence of US Rt 50 & I-79
    I have a 02 1200 Custom. It rides just fine on my daily commute. No windscreen, forward controls, stock shocks and seat. I have taken it long distances over 450 miles in a day all on the superslab. Normal comfort issues you'd find on any distance ride.

If you can find a 1200 get it as every person I know who bought a 883 wishes they would have bought the 1200.
  10. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, that guy... Nevermind! :lol3
  11. supahman

supahman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @iBiker - im actually now considering the 1200. i just hope its within my price range.
  12. iBiker

iBiker ADV Pirate

Oddometer:
    West Virginia at the confluence of US Rt 50 & I-79
    As for price you aren't going to find much difference or should I say increase. Craig's List and eBay are two places to start pricing them. The Sportster is considered an entry level bike by many HD riders. It a good all purpose bike IMO obviously except off road.

I have nearly 30K on mine and I bought it 3 years ago. I have had no maintenance issues except the normal issues, battery, tires, etc.. I truly enjoy mine thru and thru. I plan to move up to a larger HD for longer and extended trips but I plan to keep my Sportster to commute and run around on when I want.

[​IMG]
  13. TINGLER

TINGLER Swamp lips

Oddometer:
    I don't regret getting the 883. I wanted to get one to experience how "weak" it was before going to a 1200. I also bought an 883 so that I could experience working on the engine and putting a 1200 top end on it. I enjoy working on things and I saw the 883 as a good candidate for a long term project.

Now, as for the power of the 883, I am also pleasantly suprised. In no way do I feel that it is "underpowered". I was expecting something horrible since everyone looks down on them so much, but that was not what I have experienced. I must be easily amused I guess. The 883 can't raise the front tire through every gear or even do a rolling burn out, but it is certainly faster than most SUV's from a stoplight. I never feel that it doesn't have enough to do the job, and I mean do the job well too. I'm glad I got the 883 for this experience.

.....and I'm sure I'll be even happier with the 1200 conversion installed. So in some ways I suppose I do agree with your advice on getting a 1200. But when buying an 883, you can certainly use the "weakness" factor as leverage to get a better price.
  14. Martad00

Martad00 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the nightster 1200 and its fine at highway speed. You can definitely set it up exactly how you want. I upgraded the exhaust and intake and it is a rocket ship. My BMW is waaaaaay better in the tight twisties though. The rear shocks are garbage as well so price in a simple upgrade.
  15. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a rigid mount 4 speed 883, I was able to solve the range and ergonomic issues easy enough, but vibration at freeway speeds spoiled it for me. The rubber mount 5 speed is a whole different animal.
  16. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Real motorcycle experience" includes noise and vibration. A motorcycle is not supposed to be electric smooth. Remember it's a MOTORcycle, and is supposed to have an internal combustion engine. Harleys seem to be the only bikes left that still have the feel and sound of an internal combustion engine.

If you buy used, a 1200 is the way to go. If you buy new, get an 883. They are WAY cheaper than the 1200, and they have tubeless tires. They have plenty of power, but tend to be on the small side. That can be easily dealt with with an aftermarket seat and forward controls, giving you room to stretch out. And if you take care of it, you will get your moneys worth out of it. I would put the Screamin Eagle pipes on it as well. Not super loud, but enough to let you know there is a motor down there. The '04 and up are rubber mounted, and you feel less vibration through the bars and pegs, but the engine still vibrates like crazy ( a good thing IMO). It looks like it is going to jump right out of the frame at idle.
  17. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    I take it you have never heard of Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Ural, or Royal Enfield.
    They all have unique visceral character without being a sewing machine or paint shaker.
  18. gspell68

gspell68 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I take it that you've never been around a flathead Ural or Dnepr!
    The fist thing you think of when you hear one is, "That sound can't be right!"
    Because they sound EXACTLY like a sewing machine...a diesel powered sewing machine...amplified.
    And the flatheads feel more refined than the OHV's, but with character. My wife usta work in the Rhein-Main Airport and she said she could hear me on the motorcycle at the front gate over a mile away over the sounds of the jets!!!
  19. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I've never heard an amplified diesel powered sewing machine, :evil but I have heard Russian flatheads, to me they sound just like my Standard Twin tractor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXvkSObk2BM&feature=related
  20. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:

:rofl There for a second I thought I accidentally logged into the comedy central forum when I read your post.