Cheryl & Leslie's Triumph Tiger 800XC ADV to Alaska

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by soph9, Jun 12, 2011.

1. bumblebee1

bumblebee1 All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer:
    Any thought on the engine break in method you will use?
    These are new, right?
  2. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    yep brand new...we will do as we have with our other 9 bikes...not ride them too hard, try to stay under 5000RPM's...up and down but really with the our other bikes especially the Beemers...we just ride them like we would normally after about 500 KM...who really knows the "proper" way to break in a bike...I mean these engines are modern and I believe they can handle a lot more right out of the gate than some of us believe...but we will take care and not over do it. Today especially in the rain and seeing it will be our first day on the bikes...we will take them to a gravel parking lot, scuff the tires even though we are getting the Heindeau Scouts put on next week...and have fun in the rain...tomorrow it is supposed to be nice out...so maybe just a nice ride out east from here on some twisty roads. Need to get a feel for this engine!:D
  3. bumblebee1

bumblebee1 All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer:
  4. Jibby

Jibby Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to watching you two do the kind of trip I have been dreaming of.

Some day you can follow my trip report.

Jibby.
  5. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    Well..ya know...if you need someone to put some kms on your bikes while you're at work I'd be more than happy to step up and offer my services....

Just sayin....:rofl
  6. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:

Good call! There are two bikes, right? Dibs on the second one!!
  7. soph9

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a short ride with the Tigers...pics to come...we have a lot of riding to do tomorrow...I know so sad Leslie & Cheryl...:lol3

They sure smell new....and handle really smooth. Pics to come and what the hell is that noise they make well after you shut them down...the computer?:huh Seriously, about oh I dunno 30 secs or minute after you turn the bikes off sounds like the computer is shutting down. We are no techies but it was weird when we first heard it. Also, just a quick comparison with the Beemers...on the BMW GS bikes there is a switch to turn off the ABS. The Tigers not so much. You have to toggle thru the console buttons to turn the ABS off. Not a huge deal but just quite a few steps to get it off when hitting dirt roads. Also, on the Beemer there is an info button so you can toggle through the computer settings while riding. Tigers no info button and again have to push the buttons on the "dash" to get the info. No ambient temperature gauge on the Tiger like the BMW. I got a little temp gauge that I will stick on the bike. I have to know what the temperature is outside...call me anal. More in a bit!
  8. soph9

Oddometer:
    Getting the dealer plates on the bikes, the real plates are????? Still waiting. Western's owner Marq in the tye dyed shirt...yep he's a hippy type of guy! :lol3 And Desi the manager to the left![​IMG]
    The dealer sponsor Western Powersports of Langley BC
    [​IMG]

Pic is a bit blurry but here are our first random fans who seem interested in our ADV

[​IMG]

Our celebratory dinner at the Blacksheep Pub in Maple Ridge (Cheryl left & Leslie on the right)

[​IMG]

Cheryl waiting for me but posing first

[​IMG]

In our garage but not for long, they go back Monday and today is Saturday to get the service done and the rest of accessories installed as well as our Heidenau Scout tires

[​IMG]

Our ADV Triumph Boots, comfy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My Tiger for the next few months!
  9. soph9

Oddometer:
    We went out for our inaugural ride today but the weather was terrible. The bikes do not have a Gerbing temperature controller or plug yet for our heated gear nor are they equipped with heated grips yet. The grips might be an issue as there was confusion as to whether or not we wanted them as an accessory. Well, I for one would never ever say NO to heated grips since we have them on our Beemers. In order for Cheryl and I to ride all year long we have our gear and bikes set up for the worst weather.

Do we sound like spoiled brats?:eek1

[​IMG]

Today without the grips and heated gear the down pouring cold rain only allowed for us to go about 270 KM and technically the bikes should have 1000KM before it’s first service. We are going to head out tomorrow morning for a few hours but have to get to the border and pick up a ton of packages including our Jesse luggage for the bikes. I highly doubt we will get that many more KM’s on the bikes before we need to take them back for a few days. Too bad we were not warm enough to go further. We had a few breaks when it did not rain on us but going up the Fraser Valley was way to wet and cool.

Impression? This so far is a really nice handling bike on the street. Well balanced, the accessory gel seats are fantastic compared to stock seats. Highly recommended! :clap
  10. MtRainier

MtRainier Keep Going!

Oddometer:
    I'm in! Thanks for sharing your adventure. :lurk

Keep Going!
  11. soph9

Oddometer:
    Here they are....seems like next month the 150 Scouts if anyone is interested should be more available then they are right now. So, how will these tires do? We hope all the way and back on one set....what do you guys think? nice looking tires eh? We want to thank MTR Sports for generously donating 1 set of tires on behalf of ACT-Autism Community Training. See 1st post.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Our neighbours are starting to get curious!

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/25332759?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="398" frameborder="0" height="224"></iframe>
  12. Kiwi Dave

Kiwi Dave Beemer Boy

Oddometer:
    Dave here in NZ.
    You two are going to love the new Scout's.
    I enjoyed a 16 day off road adventure around New Zealand on a pair last November and can quite comfortable say I rate them as brilliant 50/50 "GS" tread. At no time did they feel vague on the tar and hooked up very well off-road. I am however one of those that plays around with my tire pressure more than the average rider. I chuck a good 32-34 PSI in when I know I'll be looking at long road k's and soften the pressure to around 26 when getting into the gravel and rough stuff. This allows the tread around the shoulder of the Scout to really grab in and do it's job very well.

I also muck around with my suspension set-up for the changing conditions so I recon this adds to the overall performance and behavior of the bike.

As much as I love my F800 GS, I have ridden the Tiger XC and have to say if Triumph had come out with the XC before BMW beat them to it I would have given the XC a go. I loved the test ride and found the engine note to be almost sexy like a soft growl. Very smooth clutch and the throttle response was spot on. It was spanking new so I a expected it to be that way but it really did impressed me. I agree with you about the computer controls and ABS switching. I figure it's one of those things one will get use to over time.

I have keenly subscribed to your travel thread and will look forward to getting the RR updates. Thank you for taking the time to share your adventure with us all.

Kiwi Dave:D:D:D
  13. soph9

Oddometer:
    BTW...love NZ..was down there on an old Honda 250 back in 1989:D We will get back some day for sure.

We used the Heideneau K60 on our trip cross country last year and we love them for the riding we do too. Thanks for the psi input it probably will come in handy on some of the sections of roads we will be riding very soon.

as for the Tiger? It does LOVE the road and feels like a substantial touring machine. With the extra weight up top although not really noticeable on the tar I wonder my self how this will feel off road. We are used to the smaller F650GS and will have that to compare. One thing is the seat is wider than our Beemer and when standing I can really feel the width. Still can hug the tank but again time will tell if we both feel comfy off road too. 9 days and hopefully today we get our luggage and some little fun accessories!
  14. WillDieSoon

WillDieSoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!

Will keep an eye out for you on the road up there in the north country as 3 of us are leaving from Kamloops on July 2nd.

Ride safe!
  15. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In, looking forward to the trip report...
  16. sanjake

sanjake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This might be a dumb question, but I have to ask. In the photos I notice one of the bikes has a silver frame and the other one has a black frame. How come? Are there any other differences on the stock bikes?
  17. CB160

CB160 another old fart....

Oddometer:
    Looks like the black frame has a center stand and bash plate as well...
    "add-ons" or ?
  18. soph9

Oddometer:
    quick response...according to Triumph any bike manufactured after I think April gets the graphite frames and before silver. I could be wrong but I do believe all bikes made from now on should be getting graphite frames. i guess one bike may have been produced before the other, although they both have the same month and year (2011). So, who knows for sure. One bike is missing the sump guard, center stand and fog lights. We hope they are in stock.
  19. soph9

Oddometer:
    After reading the RR 25,000 miles with Nick & Luke and about their border issues in Africa who knew I could have such issues about $ at our own Canadian border.:huh

Note to self, when bringing across the border promo motorcycle luggage have a letter that states all luggage will be returned to the manufacturer and will not be sold in Canada. You see we are borrowing luggage from Al Jesse, Jesse Luggage in Arizona and this stuff is not cheap. I had an invoice stating $0 and that we have 6 months to return them to Al Jesse after our trip. Not good enough for the border guards. Spent an hour being interrogated as to whether or not I was importing the luggage for commercial sale.

[​IMG]

We often have items ship to SHIP HAPPENS in Sumas, WA and in this case we had to use the border because of the Canada Post strike. Did not want to risk not having any accessories we bought not get across the border in time.

[​IMG]

The guard kept saying "why do you not have a contract?" "Why would this company just give you all this luggage to use without a contract?" I kept saying "I promised Al Jesse to return them." Guard, "really? And why would he believe you?" Me, "because in the ADV motorcycle world we are honorable people?" :lol3 Guard, "this makes no sense, can you see if from my perspective? We really need to charge you tax on the value of the goods and you can try to apply for a tax refund when you do send them back."
    Me, "but you are taxing me on something I did not buy."

In meanwhile the guard in the back ground, a young man who rides a V-Strom was on the phone with Al Jesse and eventually came back to say, "I just spoke to Al and your story checks out." After that all requests for $$ went away and both guards became interested in our trip. The whole tone of the conversation changed from an inquisition to them being inquisitive. That took about almost 3 hours out of our day! Too funny but I learned a lesson or two about borrowing gear.

Last night and most of the afternoon was spent installing the Jesse mounts for both bikes. We had pictures to go by and managed to get both racks on, mainly because Cheryl is very capable and persistent. So, the luggage is ready, going out for another little ride today and will return the bikes later for their service and hopefully tires to be mounted. Crunch time,8 days to go!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Also, anyone notice that the pics of the tires especially the front one was the wrong size? :D here is what the real tire looks like in the correct size...

[​IMG]
  20. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    I did Toronto to Alaska in 1972 on a BSA 441 Victor. Never had a break down, or a flat tyre! I'll be very interested in how you guys manage BC to AK on a pair of 20 thousand dollar bikes? I tend towards a little more "grass roots" approach. I'll be watching to see if you're not a little "over engineered"? Have a safe trip!
    Lyle