European Weekend

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by kbasa, Sep 28, 2003.

1. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    I had a chance to visit Europe this weekend, taking in Paris and Venice.

[​IMG]
    I started in Paris. Here's a walk down the Champ Elysses. Sure is pretty there.
  2. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Those French folks know how to make a buck. I saw a bunch of these guys, out selling stuff they no doubt stole from the fancy stores. This guy was selling Chanel sunglasses for $5.

Their street sellers dress better than ours, but otherwise they're about the same. I was looking for the AdvRider guy, Mike Werner, but I didn't see him.

[​IMG]
  3. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Ya know, the Eiffel Tower, named for it's original architect, is pretty nice. I think everybody should see it live one time. It took a long to get to Paris from SF, but I think it was worth the time and effort it took to get there. It was hard being away from MrsK, but bringing these pictures home and showing her the magnificence of France should change her mind.

[​IMG]
  4. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    I was kind of surprised to see that they'd built a hotel right next to the tower. You'd think the French, what with being all respectful of Iraq's territory, so much so that they didn't want to be all rude or anything and just show up unannounced, would have been a little more sensitive to such a beautiful piece of architecture.

I was a little surprised and it soured me on the French but I'll still capitalize their name and stuff.

But I'm not eating any more snails. The Snail-B-Gone I use to catch them makes them taste funny.

[​IMG]
  5. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Here's the beautiful Arc d'Triomphe. As you can see in this picture, they sure had a lot of Ameican cars there. Apparently, even the French don't want to buy French cars.

Deux Chevaux my ass. I'll take a blue oval from Henry's kids anytime. You Chevy guys can go pound. The French won't buy those things cuz they have a French name.

[​IMG]
  6. Fronch

Fronch Schoolboy

Oddometer:
    Can't fool the Fronchmon, K-Basa. That's Vegas. The French conceived it, financed it and own it. Their goal? To keep goobers away from the real thing. Seems to work.
  7. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    No, man. Really. It was France.

From there, it was off to Italy. I took a tour of the Ducati factory. those cats can build some cutting edge bikes. You look at what they do with motorcycles and everybody else just has to line up and follow them. I predict the leopard seat cover business to explode after the endorsement I saw on some tasty Ducati factory prototypes.

Because we're all like brothers and stuff, I'm gonna share the new superlight Duc I saw. I figure Linzi's gonna forget all about that Monster problem she's got and will put that miserable 996 she rode in their proper perspective.

And KRS12Steve, the resale on that thing you're trying to sell is just gonna plummet after these hit the market. You better unload that thing while you can.

[​IMG]
  8. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Apparently, they've had enough of Celine Dion in Las Vegas and have shipped her to France.

Kind of out of order here, but hey, when was the last time you saw Celine Dion's name on a big sign near a naked stone penis? They're very lax about nudity over there. Maybe we could finally get a look at Linzi's hooters if she took a French vacation.

[​IMG]
    Time to go back to Italy.....
  9. Fronch

Fronch Schoolboy

Oddometer:
    Wow! Pretty low center of gravity. I'll bet those bella ragazzas handle.
  10. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    Yer so fullavit, `Basa! That's Vegas - you can see Bally's in the one shot.....

BTW: the restaurant in "Paris" is quite good......... :evil

mully
  11. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    You have to hand it to those Italians. They've gotten all industrious and stuff and have taken to rebuilding the Roman Coliseum. Amazing to see, that's for sure.[​IMG]
  12. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Pipe down, mully. I'm working on some major league story telling here. Here's my passport with the stamps from France and Italy.

[​IMG]

Now. Where was I?

And I still think the tank on your GS is sweet.
  13. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    This is from ancient Roman mythology. The Romans used to dye their young virgins green and send them down to do their fishing. They were too busy doing the full Nero fiddling thing to worry about how to stock those wild orgies and feasts and stuff.

And it being Rome Back In The Day, there weren't a hole lot of virgins after a while. They got really rare, so they built this big statue dedicated to the Dyed Fishing Virgins of Ancient Rome.

Look it up if you don't believe me.

[​IMG]

I still think it was tacky that both the Italians and French seem to think it's OK to build big ass hotels next to these ancient and honored monuments. If you want to count the Eiffel Tower that way.
  14. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Despite their being priceless antiquities nearby, that didn't stop the locals from trying every trick in the book to try and get my Yankee Dollars. This guy was even wearing a cowboy hat to try and trick me into thinking he was an American like me. When you meet another person from the good ol' USA in France, you have to like give each other this secret wave. If the natives find out you're not Canadian like you've been telling them, they'll come over and start kicking you.

But still, I'm disgusted by the blatant merchandising.

Disgusted, I tell you, disgusted.

[​IMG]
  15. Mike Werner

Mike Werner Cloggy amongst Frogs

Oddometer:
    sorry, was in Vegas that weekend :rofl
  16. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Now here's something I'm going to share with you, but it's really the great hope of the Italian motorcycle market. GM is investing heavily in fuel cell technology, but those crafty folks at Moto Guzzi are developing a prototype bike that will convert CO2 directly to O2. It's powered by nothing more than water and sunlight.

Unbelievable. I had to be really careful, ya know? I mean they had a bunch of guys guarding that thing, all decked out in nifty sharkshin suits. You would have thought they would have gotten the cut on the suits right, especially under the left arm. They all were kinda baggy and bulging right there. They need a new tailor.

Those Japanese better watch out. Italy is back in a big way. Trust me, you're going to see one of these with a leopard skin seat and you're gonna say, ya know that KBasa is a pretty smart guy.

Mark my words here.

[​IMG]
  17. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Big Dog, (that's what his buds like me call him) hasn't aged a day and his voice sounds the same as last time I saw him. He was hanging around Venice. I think he's had too much plastic surgery, though. His skin looks terrible and his posture is wacked. He looks like his back is stiff all the time.

So sad to see such a talent circling the drain because of vanity. Tsk.

[​IMG]
  18. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    :huh