Ever have a day when you're not riding well?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by SkiFastBadly, Nov 18, 2013.

1. SkiFastBadly

SkiFastBadly A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer:
    Saturday, I jumped on the Uly for what I planned to be a three hour ride. Right away, I felt 'off'. It's hard to describe, but my lines weren't clean, I felt like I wasn't sitting on the bike right, after a short time I thought, "man, I just don't have it today" and went home.

Sunday I went out on the same road on the same bike with the same weather, and I felt completely comfortable and planted.

Weird. Is it only me?
  2. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah I think that's how it works for everyone. Definitely does for me, especially off road (probably b/c off road I tend to ride at the limit of my ability whereas on the road I tend to be plunking along).
  3. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    Funny you say this. Saturday morning I felt the exact same way. To add to that, my face shield was fogging up, my eyes were watering from having the shield cracked, making seeing clearly almost impossible. It was real nice out, but I just didn't feel solid on the bike. I ended up limping it the rest of my short trip and stayed off til the afternoon when I felt better. I think it goes along with the spidey sense - sometimes its better to wait for another day.
  4. airhead_irl

airhead_irl Airhead addict

Oddometer:
    Yep, I totally get where you're coming from. Just an "off" day. Those days can be kinda depressing - makes you feel like a crap rider and dents the confidence. On the other hand, it's great when you get those days on the bike where it feels like you can do no wrong !
  5. sweetwater

sweetwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:

'Tall has it right: follow your "gut" sometimes. I always remember the old diving adage: plan your dive, dive your plan. When things start to fall apart it might be time to regroup.
  6. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    I don't know if you ski fast or badly but, it's the same thing as a day on the Mt-sometimes we feel "off". Even if no great catastrophe occurs, it probably won't be fun. If you ain't havin' fun, do something else!
  7. akapero

akapero Clever Custom Title

Oddometer:
    The last time I had one of those "off" rides, I pushed through it and just kept going. I hadn't had a good ride for a while and really just wanted to clear my head. After blowing a few corners and really stinking it up, I finally decided to throw in the towel and head home. About 2 miles from the house, on a very familar and very twisty road, my bike got really tired and layed down for a rest, at about 30 miles per hour, while I did an amazing Superman impression but, not being able to actually fly, it was short lived. I did stick the landing, if you call sticking the landing sliding down the road face-first on your belly and ending up on the dirt shoulder wondering why you smell like wild onions.

I don't ride anymore when I feel off.
  8. WormShanks

WormShanks b00b

Oddometer:
    Not weird at all, it happens with anything that requires skill. I had a bad day doing some carpentry over the weekend and will have to spend next weekend "fixing" it. :cry
  9. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can not say its ever happened to me.
    Maybe because I have no skill anyway, no place to go but up.

These days, I often feel bad (pain, stiffness) which can shorten a ride, but I never felt off my game, even when sick.
  10. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    Some days, the focus just isn't there, and I park it. At a track day at Willow Springs, felt real good in the morning sessions. Then after lunch, I suddenly didn't feel comfortable. Sat down on the back of my truck, took a 20 minute nap, suddenly everything sharpened up.
  11. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty much anytime I go out and ride something I haven't done in a while, whether it's dirt or twisties, I tend to be rusty and ride like crap. Sometimes it only takes a couple of hours and sometime a couple of days before I get comfortable again.

The only solution to this problem is to ride more!:ricky:wings:ricky:happay:ricky
  12. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Absolutely yes. What strikes me as odd (but maybe isn't) is that sometimes, when I haven't ridden much recently I go out thinking I'm going to be rusty and plan on trying to be as smooth as possible. Sometimes on those days everything works great. But I don't really think it's magic either.
  13. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    It could be the bike you're riding.:D Now if you had a 25 yr. old K75 like me......:rofl Seriously, I have days just like your describing......then I have days when it seems I can do anything. Since I ride almost daily, a lot in Phoenix traffic, when I have one of the off days, I just ride a little more cautiously, slower, than I would on a good day; (still don't let any grass grow under my tires though) I used to think it was age, but then I'm only 67 so it couldn't be that.:lol3
  14. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. If I can't sit on the bike at a stop sign for 30 seconds or so (I don't count off) it's a day for an easy putt.
  15. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, and am glad when I get that feeling before I have taken off for the day..:deal

I know we aren't the only ones either. Judging from the riding I witnessed on our last trip I'd say there are too many folks that have them almost every day...:lol3
  16. The Chief (tm)

The Chief (tm) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I do sometimes feel that, but may I weigh in with something that may put your mind at ease just a bit?

I was, in fact, having a day like that once; couldn't put my finger on it but just felt sloppy. Worst/most "noticeable" part (for me) was not being smooth coming up to red lights; felt like I couldn't keep the darned thing straight at low speeds. When I got home something made me decide to check tire pressures (even though the tires were warm by then), and you know what? It was the start of a leaky valve stem on the rear, which was down a good 4-5 PSI from where it should have been, and THAT had been the source of the problem. Being a bit "weavy" at slow speeds had been enough to make me think I had left the "A" game at the door.

So, yeah, by all means heed your gut feelings, but be aware it *could* be something as simple as tire pressures!
  17. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Day" ? NO! But I do on occasion get to a point where I am off a bit.... Just not feeling it. I generally pull over ASAP and get off the bike for a few minutes to reset.

It has never failed to work. Back when I was a smoker I would just pull off and have a smoke. Now I just take a short walk or do a bike inspection.
  18. joef

joef Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's days when I'm on and on occasion I just can't get the feel. Weather, temp, traffic, stamina all play a part in it
  19. Import

Import Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell yes..... Don't know why it happens, but sometimes all the timing goes..nothing mechanical, but light approaches, seeing the dangers, funny little things you do automatically..... Catch myself saying 'I'm riding like a dick'.... Find somewhere to get a coffee, hit the reset and start again
  20. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh hell yes... there've been times on the bike where I was aware I wasn't riding well. I try to be smooth, bog knows I've been riding long enough to know how, but some days I just can't. I usually slow way down or just park it. There've been a few times I've been on the bike, geared up, and just thought "Naahhh." and caged it.
    Then again, I've been hurt badly on motorcycles, and may be a bit gunshy, but I've learned to listen to my hunches.
    "There are old riders, and there are bold riders..."
    Interesting book called "The Gift of Fear" goes into some detail on how hunches originate and why we should listen to them.

1911fan