Cali to Prudhoe Bay

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ParaMud, Jul 22, 2012.

1. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Hahah ! You guys are sure keeping busy before your trip.

While I'm here all nervous and just waiting and counting time till.
  2. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. isaac004

isaac004 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be leaving in 16 days from LA, perhaps we will see you up there or on the way. White F800GS and a white XR650L. Ride safe!
  4. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should catch up to us. We are going slow.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to run out 1/2 worn tires out and mount the tires on the bike.
  5. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll let you know what I think after I do the denali highway tomorrow. I'm going to run a heidhowyouspellit k60 rear and a kenda 270 front on a dr650. I have crap reception here, so would you tell me your bike and skill level?

For all those on the fence, this is the year. I feel so fortunate to have had the outstanding weather I've had. I know it might turn to crap tomorrow and the rest of the time I'm here, but I've had a great week of socal weather in Alaska. The locals I've spoken with say its the nicest weather they've had in years and that it means good weather should follow. Any inmates from AK have a take on this?
  6. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    And very very lucky you are! We had a cold Spring following our longest winter in recorded history, 232 days snowfall to snowfall.

In years past I've know riders who've come up in the rain, ridden around AK in the rain, and then gone home in the ever cold rain. Sad. Yep, good gear is important up here.

Continued good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  7. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, it looks like we are leaving tomorrow! We were suppose to go to a wedding this saturday but it was just called off. Wohooo??!???
  8. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    Cool.

Just a heads-up and not to say it'll still be this way by the time anybody else gets up here but we've been breaking high temp records all around the State this summer! Been getting visitors so ready for cold rainy weather forgot to advise maybe also bringing some lighter apparel just in case. :D

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  9. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We can always take off our jackets and wear the underarmor if it is really hot

[​IMG]
  10. Sidehil

Sidehil On any Sunday

Oddometer:
    Maybey we will bump into you, we launch Friday from W WA, going Big Dog style. 2 wr250's all wolfmaned out.
  11. GSF1200S

Oddometer:
    Just did the haul road. It destroyed a kenda 270 but was pretty easy. Plenty of dust in construction areas. Mosquitoes are BRUTAL in coldfoot- bring DEET and a head net. The food in coldfoot is awesome. If you meet a guy named Olaf with a huge chin beard, talk to him and buy him a beer- he's one cool dude.

Lighter bikes should be fine, but some loaded GSs said the calcium chloride mud was very bad. I guess the water trucks are over dumping water due to how dry it is lately. I didn't have an issue on a DR650 with a K60 rear and kenda 270 front.

Some asphalt, more gravel, and most hard packed dirt. Atigun pass was clear and in good shape. The run up is totally worth it for the brooks range and even the north slope which is unique in its vast emptiness. You will never see a city like deadhorse- no beauty all function. If you want to know anything else, just ask. Good luck guys and have a blast. I did, and now I'm going back down to valdez!
  12. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are done. Natalie went off the road when she was adjusting something on her gear. A broken sholderblade and 3 ribs. Her bike is toast also. She is back home now. All this planning and practice rides and now no trip.

She went off on the 101 near San luis obispo. Was in the hospital for 3 days and we just got home last night. We were 200 miles from home at the time.

I am super depressed and glad she is ok. My klr is for sale.

We are going to wait for her to get comfortable and do a trip across the US in the car.
  13. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sonuva.... :eek1 My best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. She'll be back on the bike before you know it!
  14. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    WOW, very sorry to hear! Glad she's not hurt any worse.

Here's to a quick and complete healing.

Take care, Mark H.
  15. tobeknown

tobeknown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very sorry to hear about your tragedy. This is something any rider can experience and maybe has, the chance we take for follow our dreams.

Must say that I am very sad you did not get the experience what you sought and I have have lived traveling over 160,000 miles on two KLR's. Much of this done two up with full gear and camping. This may sound insane, but I do hope you can get back in the saddle maybe riding two up to obtain the experience you had planned and dreamed about.

Best wishes and I hope you have a speedy recovery and get to peruse more adventures together, no matter what the are.......
  16. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think we are going to try 2 up. I am selling all 3 of the bikes in the garage and am going to buy a good 2 up bike. I had an fz1 which would have been perfect for this trip, but sold it to get the KLR.

Natalie is trying to go without her pain meds today because most of her uncomfortablness is from sideeffects from Norco.

She is doing great.

I am looking to pick up a vstrom 650, or 1000, maybe a fz1 with luggage or any comfortable 2 up bike that less 4000 or less.
  17. GSF1200S

Oddometer:
    You might be able to find a 1200 bandit of older style for cheap. Not as refined as an fz1 but cheap reliable and fast. Obviously I like them, but it sounds like what you might like. 2up isn't great on an fz1 or bandit though.. maybe a fjr or similar?

Really sorry to hear about her accident. I know it maybe cliche but any of us could have this happen. I have had a few bobbles on this trip at higher speeds where I would have been DONE but I got lucky.. its life on two wheels and its the bad part for sure. Sending my best wishes...
  18. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like we will be leaving again in 2 weeks or so. She is doing great and is off the pain pills. I am going to check out a bike possibly tomorrow and we will get a follow up appointment with a doctor this week. Looking at a BMW. :eek1
  19. tobeknown

tobeknown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great to hear she can go without the meds, very good sign.

As far as you bike hunt goes, after my two KLR's I have landed on a Suzuki V-Strom 650. I have been very happy with the transition. I feel very secure on and off road with it. Obviously, does not have the KLR capability, but does very well as a trail bike and very confident down the highway at any speed. Also, I have done some two up trips with great results from the ex-girlfriend, who has tons of experience riding two up on and off road with me. The V-Strom specs very closely to the BMW GS700, ride with a couple, but for much less. I bought mine in excellent condition with 10,000 miles for $3200, of course this was a salvage in nearly perfect mechanical and cosmetic condition.

Good luck on the hunt.

BTW Clause will be doing my first full service on the Strom.
  20. Noone

Noone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sitting at a Cross Roads lookin' for a sign
    Just found and read your thread. Good luck to you and hope you make it this year. In the event you haven't made all your purchases for clothing I can highly recommend Champion brand underwear and socks (can be found at Target). Wash them in the sink, wring them out, roll them in a towel and hang overnight. They WILL dry and they WILL NOT collect "the funk".

Nothing worse, in my opinion, than having to wear funky underwear. I'd rather go naked and that is a sight no one should be forced to see.

Best of luck.