Hawai'i

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Dirty Barber, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Andyinhilo

Andyinhilo Long timer

Oddometer:
    WTF happened this time???
  2. Gasser

Gasser Control crash rider

Oddometer:
    The Rock Island Riders regretfully announce that the 2013 Mauna Kea 200 event is cancelled.
    Things were not coming together as planned to allow us to present an adequate course this year. Details will follow later.
    The Rock Island Riders mk200.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shootzzzzzzzzzzzz It’s a shock to me also...we got started early in 2012 for the 2013 event, but the labyrinth of progressively higher legal hurtles floating in a stagnated bureaucratic pool of sheeple afraid to BAaaaa! in our favor.

We are now planing out next years legal event to keep the RIR integrity of cutting quality world class trails that test the riders under grueling endurance conditions, this being the tradition of the MK200, Big Island of Hawaii’s premier world class off road race that needs half of the Big Island to do it “world Class” right.

Meanwhile back at the Big Island Dual Sport Associations (BIDSA) illustrious Hilo Headquarters parking lot, talk is, we may host a two day "Tuff Enuff Lava Butt 400” with challenging loops..riders have to have a bullet proofed street legal dual-sport bike for this epic ride.
  3. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    I don't have all of the details, something along the lines that one entity authorized trail cutting in sections of the forest (well, read Timber Management Area that we all know is imported trees and not Native Forest) and another higher up the chain said no after it got started. RIR asked for clarification, none came, given the amount of trails needed they realized it was a Bridge too Far given the time remaining so they elected to pull the plug.

Bit of a bummer, I know of three mainland participants that were ready to come as well as the Kauai, Maui, and Oahu crews. Oh Well, in the end it's only going to look bad on DLNR, last time this happened the Mayor even said WTF??? since hotels, rental vehicles, airfare, plate lunches, gasoline, tires, and more importantly BEER won't be sold in the same quantities as when the show is in town. Not to mention Motorcycle Rentals such as Hawaii Adventure Tours and the new Maui Outfit (Moto Maui?) were both willing to rent bikes for the event.

See you out in the trails!
  4. ARZ

ARZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was looking for a Hawaii specific area, to post so please let me know if this is the wrong place for questions like this.

I am from Arizona and headed to Maui for 2 weeks in June, Im taking my family and joining friends for the first week. One of those friends is my long time riding friend, we ride almost every weekend together. I ride EVERY weekend if I can. In 3 years I have only missed 12 weekends of singletrack riding. Needless to say I have ridden some pretty amazing places here in the southwest, (Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, and Mexico). I live 20 minutes from where Ned filmed this video with his friends, http://vimeo.com/21325422 matter of fact we happened upon them the day they were filming the part in the trees with the camera zipline. I can share over 400 miles of single track within a 45 mile radius of my home, some of it is world class difficult, some of it is epic and flowy. All of it I feel privileged to be able to ride year around, and privileged to share with you. You tell me what you prefer and I will do my best to show you what you prefer. I am all about reciprocity, so let me explain what I have to share. I have 2 bikes, (09 KTM 450 EXC, & 10 KTM 530 XCW, both street legal if needed) and many friends, (so I can borrow/lend others). Also I have a detached apartment/garage in back you would be welcome to crash in for the days you will be riding with me. In return I am looking for 2 bikes that are singletrack worthy. We have a local that can show us some trails, but if you have others, we are not opposed to following others also.

If you or any of your friends are willing to show us your awesome Maui singletrack, (and hook us up with a few singletrack bikes) I assure you I will make it worth your while if you ever want to ride amazing singletrack in Arizona.
  5. rkover1

rkover1 doc Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aloha everyone,

Through happy circumstances at work, I find myself moving to Kona Town, to start work May 1st in Kealakekua.

I currently ride a BMW F650, but will be selling it before I leave due to the cost of shipping. Since I am a short dude with short legs, I plan to replace it with a Yamaha with a low seat height, either a TW200 or XT250.

I am wondering whether the carb'd TW would have any issues with elevation changes on the Big Island. The XT is fuel injected and would probably be the better all-arounder, though a bit taller. But the TW looks like way too much fun!

I plan to put a deposit on one of these this week and I'd appreciate any insight you guys there may be able to share.

I look forward to hanging out with some of you guys soon!

Mahalo nui la!

doc
  6. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, another Washingtonian moves to the Big Island. I moved here from Puyallup, Wa. over a year and a half ago. I live near Keaau about 12 miles from Hilo. When I read your message, I was going to suggest you rethink selling your BMW. Motorcycles here are quite a bit more than on the mainland. You have talked to the nice folks at Kiser's in Kpna? They now sell, Kymco, Yamaha, Honda, Yamaha, Victory, and Kawasaki. We have a Suzuki dealer in Hilo.
    Actually, I am considering a tw200, xt250, or the new Honda CRL250F. It is water cooled, fuel injected and a bit less than the XT250 I believe. I sold 3 motorcycles before we moved here. A 2006 HD XL883 Sportster, a 2007 Yamaha XT225, and a 2007 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet. I did buy a new leftover Kymco People 150 scooter from Kiser's, and they delivered it to me. My wife brought her 2008 SYM HD200 scooter over. Both of these can handle the highways here, with the SYM being more relaxed doing it.

If you plan on riding up to the observatories, then mayb the fuel injected XT or Honda would be better, because it's like almost 14,000 feet. The routes I have taken to Kona by car are not very high. Saddle Road gets up to 6632 feet. That's a major route between Kona and hilo areas.
    Here is a good page that talks about the various roads here and elevations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_Route_200

Aloha, and welcome to the beautiful Big Island of Hawaii!!
  7. rkover1

rkover1 doc Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mahalo!

Hawai'i is home for me, having lived in Honolulu for many years. I've been in temporary exile on The Continent for a while, while my kids were going through public school in Woodinville. Now that they're both at UW, it was time to explore opportunities to come home. Fortunately for me, it means i'm coming back to Kona. (The wife was pulling more for Hilo, but she'll be ok with Kona.)

Been over Saddle Road a few times, sounds like they've done alot with it! We also have a very good friend over in Mountain View - - go to Hilo Coffee Mill if you get a chance!

Looking forward to doing some exploring. Nothing extreme, I'm still an off-pavement noob, and figured the TW might be a better choice there, Mauna Kea probably not so much (Is it even doable?). Went to Kiser's last weekend for a look-see. Will plan to put a deposit down on something this week.

Thanks for the input. I hope to meet a few of you soon.

Malama pono,

doc
  8. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    DokTor,

Contact hiADV an inmate here, I believe he has a TW for rent and I'm sure he could clue you in on whatever limitations it has for the Big Isle.
    E Komo Mai!
  9. hiADV

hiADV Island Explorer

Oddometer:
    Aloha rkover! I rent motorcycles here in Kona and specialize in dual sport models so maybe I can help. I had a TW (recently sold) but I do regret it sometimes... it's a fun little bike. You will certainly have some rich running conditions with the carb'd models at higher elevations. All of my bikes can make it to the Mauna Kea summit, albeit a bit sluggish... but they can make it. If I had the choice of a new model though, I would go with a FI model. Also, maybe you can specify what you want out of the bike? Comfortable for full island ride? Just cruising around town? Wanting to do some progressive off-road riding?

I like the new CRF250L's and I will likely have one before the year is up. It's a great mix of performance both on highway and in the trails. Call me or come by the shop and we'll talk story... Jason 808-445-6722
  10. rkover1

rkover1 doc Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mahalo Jason,

Thanks for the good information. I have seen the Honda, and it seems to be the better bike, but I just don't fit it. I am 5'2" with an inseam of about 26", so shorter is a big plus for me. I also like that both Yamahas are substantially lighter than what I'm used to.

Although I've been riding for about 40 years, almost all of that has been on pavement. A bike which is off-pavement friendly would also be a plus.

Mostly, I think I would be commuting, from Kona Town to Kealakekua, sticking mostly to the back roads. Eventually, I would like to do some exploring, Ka'u and Puna at first, then maybe more north. I have friends in Mountain View, so I'd make an occasional trip there as well. I think I'd like to do Mauna Kea at least once, just to say I've been there.

Thanks for the help, it gives me some more to think about.

Mahalo!

doc
  11. hiADV

hiADV Island Explorer

Oddometer:
    I hear ya and for the type of riding you are doing, I think either of the Yammies would be a fine choice. Also, keep in mind that the CRF can be lowered. We have a KLX that is lowered if you want to stop by sometime to check out the seat height. Whatever you decide on, let me know and we'll go ride! BTW, Mauna Kea is an easy ride and real fun depending on the weather. There are also some trails that run along the side up and down the mountain if you want to practice your off-road skills.
  12. rkover1

rkover1 doc Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mahalo again Jason!

As of now, I find myself leaning more toward the TW, if for no other reason than the perceived fun factor! But, I still haven't gotten to the point of putting money down. I suspect I should do so soon, to make sure that a bike can be shipped if need be in time for my arrival. I am planning to arrive on April 24th, and I hope to have the bike in hand that Saturday, the 28th.

I'm looking forward to getting to my new home, meeting new friends and riding to new places.

Thanks again for your help!

doc
  13. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are thinking about shipping one from the mainland, you would save a bunch if you bought the bike in San Diego, had the dealer deliver it to Pasha. Pasha is located at the San Diego harbor, and all the local dealers seem to be fine with delivering the bike to them. You then arrange with Pasha to ship to Kona and pay them. They can, I believe, either ship it in the original crate, or it can be unloaded and they secure it on the ship. Check their website for rates. The drawback is it would be a Calfornia model. Unless you buy a used trade in.

Or buy the bike locally in Kona.

14. rkover1

rkover1 doc Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had considered going through Pasha early on, but going through San Diego from Seattle on the way to Hawai'i, just wasn't going to be practical. Too bad, since they were way cheaper than anyone else I contacted. So I will be buying locally in Kona. My only real question now though, is which bike?

doc
  15. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
  16. hiADV

hiADV Island Explorer

Oddometer:
  17. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, saw that one. I watch the craigslist often for all the islands. Honokaa is north of Hilo. But there is a good barge service between the islands too. I always thought that, if I found a bike I liked on Oahu, maybe the owner would take it to a local shop, I could pay for a checkover. Then pay the shop to deliver it to the barge for Hilo. Maybe make arrangements for the shop to give the seller the money after I paid them with plastic card. I think barging is pretty reasonable.

18. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    265 pages down in Thumpers and it's been embraced by Dirt Bike, seems to be a popular DS. IMHO, there is no such thing as "Price is Firm" on CL and you don't post on CL thinking you won't get brutal Low Balls, he lost $1K when he pulled out of Chris' Parking Lot, plus you'll need to rent your wife's Hair Dryer to get the stickers off!:rofl
  19. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Aren't they like $4500 new? Are there a $1K in taxes?
  20. hiADV

hiADV Island Explorer

Oddometer:
    Yep... "paradise tax!" :cry