Blue Ridge Parkway Trip

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by InvertedB, Jan 5, 2014.

1. InvertedB

InvertedB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to get the opinion of people that live in the area for this. My wife and I started a 2-up BRP trip the end of September to the very beginning of October going South-to-North. We didn't finish the entire length due to her getting ill and ended it in some cabins near Hillsville, VA. We've now got a baby on the way due sometime in mid-June and I'd like to finish the full length ride before that time as it's a bit of a bucket list thing for me.

My question to those more experienced with the area and the road would be what the earliest I could even consider being able to do a full length ride without major concerns about snow and ice? Any info and advice is appreciated, I get the feeling between work and baby this will be a last long bike trip for a while and I definitely want to get it in before it's too late (i.e. baby is born).
  2. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Your productive screwing may have screwed you. I've witnessed snow and ice on that road in April and it wouldn't be unheard of in May (thank you global warming). While nothing is impossible, I would think Momma might be a bit "uncomfortable" for a long journey, far from home and her favorite OB/GYN. Maybe a trip south to the Drag Queens of Key West could do until baby is on board. Besides, you've ridden the best parts of the BRP already.
  3. peejman

peejman i wanna ride

Oddometer:
    You might get lucky and pull it off as early as mid March, though it'll be cold. You'll just have to watch the weather, it's very unpredictable. I've got 2 kids and feel sure your doctor will advise against such a trip so near the end of her pregnancy. Too much to risk.
  4. FormerInmate 081920

FormerInmate 081920 Guest

Oddometer:
    I've been on it year round, but, it depends on mother nature. and as for planning a trip from Jacksonville up to the BRP in March, April or May, be prepared to change your plans. :lol2

usually the last winter storms from Hillsville, VA north are mid March. But that doesn't mean the the BRP is open at the end of March. They don't plow it and just let it melt.

From Hillsville north you get the kinda boring Roanoke VA section, then get back into some fun riding.
  5. InvertedB

InvertedB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies and as a bit of clarification, my wife will not be accompanying me. I don't think I'd personally feel comfortable taking her along at that point and she has no appetite for it anyhow.
  6. B. Myers

B. Myers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    by April, you should be good in regards to snow/ice being gone.

I'm 30 minutes to the Peaks of Otter and about 15-20 to Otter Creek..if you want conditions closer to your departure date, PM me, be glad to give you current status.

B.
  7. InvertedB

InvertedB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'll absolutely take you up on that offer when it gets closer and dates are nailed down.
  8. peejman

peejman i wanna ride

Oddometer:
    btw.... Congrats on the pending new addition! Kids are great (most of the time :thumb ) and they change everything.
  9. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    Live in the Hillsville VA area. Parkway closes frequently - snow, ice, wind, limbs down, fog -but state roads paralleling it are always open. The state roads are actually a lot more fun to ride and you can navigate by your nose.
    Can't predict snow and ice but VA does a great job keeping our roads cleared. It's quite chilly here during the mornings in spring so plan accordingly. Yeah, the road between here and Roanoke actually is unremarkable, just winding tree covered hills - not knocking it but that's normal here.
    If you have to make plans for time off now I'd say the obvious - later the better. If you're more flexible keep an eye out for a favorable weather window. Two or three weeks of warm sunny weather in March / April isn't too unusual.
    PM if need specific local info.
  10. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    i don't live on the parkway but I do live in Jacksonville. i make that ride a few times a year, from 4 days to a week or more. should you like to join me, you would be welcome.
  11. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis Plays with Banjos, Boats and Bikes...

Oddometer:
    I'd say April...

You can always jump down into the valley and run up rt 11, unless it is critical you can say you did the WHOLE parkway.

So many good side roads. Rt56 east and west, 311 west of roanoke, 250 west, 211. All great roads that run across the ridges not with it.

Have fun either way!