Grand Canyon Backcountry Adventure Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dave6253, Oct 11, 2013.

1. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for leaving the cliffhanger out there so long. I really did intend to get more written last night.

I don't think any of this is on the way to Georgia, but I guess your "friend" doesn't have to know!:lol3

Thanks, MiloBramble. You should get out there!

Nope. Not oil.:D
  2. Glenn5995

Glenn5995 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent report and photography as always. Sorry the trip has not started as well as you had hoped, but looking forward to what awaits!
  3. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Sorry 'bout that.

I sneak around in there sometimes. I also seem to remember a Baja report from you. I would love to photograph a trials event.
  4. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    Sometimes you eat the "HUMBLE PIE" and sometimes the pie eats you. I have done 4 large solo trips and one must sometimes ride smart to ride another day.:eek1

Nice report.............:wink::wink:
  5. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    :clap Yeah! Someone read my Baja report!! :thumb

:lol3

If you're ever up New Mexico way, we have 14-16 trials events a year...love to have you photograph one of them! :D

I'm really enjoying your report so far...waiting for more great pics! :deal
  6. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    AND... Another great one Dave!!!
  7. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I head back north in Black Canyon...

[​IMG]

and have to cross all of those washes again. I find them easier the second time around and ended up making good time.
    I also don't have to stop as much for photos since I just came through here.

[​IMG]

I turn east on Mud Mountain RD and am happy to see the sandy sections have ended.
    I find this idle machine that has a lot of work now due to the big storm.

[​IMG]

The ride through Road Canyon was easy and recently graded.

[​IMG]

Somewhere around the summit the road passes through a forest of stark trees from a past fire I presume.

[​IMG]

I reach the CR-5/Mt Trumbull Loop RD. I check the maps and the GPS to determine if I can reach a point tonight.
    I intended to get to Kelly Point, but the distances are just to far for my remaining fuel. I decide to try reaching Twin Point for the night.

[​IMG]

I snacked on canned meat for a quick lunch.

[​IMG]

I head south on Mt Dellenbaugh RD...

[​IMG]

...and meet this group of friendly KLR riders. They are the first people I've seen since the other side of Lime Kiln Pass yesterday.
    They had spent the night at Bar-10 Ranch and were on the way to their truck and trailer parked in Las Vegas.
    They were looking for the turnoff to Hidden Canyon. Hmmm... I start explaining the fun I've been having all day with the washes.
    The leaders eyes got real big and he says, "Sand?" He looks around at his buddies and declares the KLRs are no good in sand.
    I have no idea if they changed their route or not. Only one of them admitted to ever visiting advrider.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sign to Twin Point was propped up against a tree.

[​IMG]

For awhile I get to ride in a nice forest of Pines and Oaks.

[​IMG]

I even found a few mud puddles.

[​IMG]

You probably wouldn't want to ride this road after a good rain, but these puddles were no problem.

[​IMG]

Not many visitors sign in here. That's almost a full year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trail Texture

[​IMG]

I had calculated when I absolutely HAD to turn around to make it back to town for fuel.
    When the trip meter told me I had to reverse direction I was nowhere near the end of the point.
    I rode another 3.4 miles...

[​IMG]

...before finding a nice camping spot at the edge. I was still short of the end of the point by about 4 miles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I set up camp and eat dinner.

[​IMG]

I'm sure the view would be better if I had enough gas to make it to the end of the point...

[​IMG]

...but I'll settle for this view.

[​IMG]

The colors were still nice as I crawled into the tent to enjoy my book and solitude.

[​IMG]

The stars really came out tonight. The lights across the canyon are from the Grand Canyon West area of the
    Hualapai Indian Reservation, which includes an airport and the Skywalk tourist trap.
    The bright glow to the right is probably the lights of Las Vegas about 85 miles away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave - Great RR so far. Thanks!

Sometimes you have to back off a bit, especially when solo a long distance from pavement. :nod

I was out exploring some backways between Beaver Dam Wash and Mesquite yesterday. Came to a few hills that ATVs had gone up, tearing some ruts. Decided not to give it a go on the moto. Too much chance of dropping wheel in a deep rut at the wrong place. No easy way to self extricate.

A few pics from a ride to Oak Grove (headed to Twin Points) when I ran out of time. Always a reason to go back.

Kelly Point to the left. Twin Points to the right. This ride was last March. It was Springtime in St. George, but I knew the higher elevation of the AZ Strip would still be cold. Had made good time to this point, although there were some ruts in the road. :D

[​IMG]

Then I hit the big trees of Oak Grove. This meant shade, snow, and mud. Lots of mud. :eek1

[​IMG]

Although I got through, it chewed up all my time. Never did get out to Twin Points. Have to go back with a tent and spend the night. It's all about the sunset and sunrise -- as you've shown your ADV followers many times.

[​IMG]

Anyhow . . . since you ended up 4 miles short of the Point looks like you have a reason to go back as well. :clap

Following along. Very interested to see the next phase of your trip. Probably going to include some time with the boys at Rocky Mountain ATV in St. George. :lol3
  9. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I watch the changing light at sunrise while I pack up camp and chew on a cereal bar.

[​IMG]

I head back up the trail...

[​IMG]

...through the forest...

[​IMG]

...Mt Dellenbaugh Road...

[​IMG]

and the Mt. Trumbull Loop.

[​IMG]

Mt Trumbull Loop is the graded super-highway out here.

[​IMG]

I was excited to reach this sign without the low fuel light coming on.

[​IMG]
  10. srhayes

srhayes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride report!! I recently went through each of your past reports and loved each one and couldn't wait for a new one. Your pictures are awesome! Keep it coming! :clap
  11. Biebs

Biebs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok this looks like a staged shot on some hollywood backlot do you expect us to buy this is real?? :freaky

really love the pictures and your ride report thanks for sharing!!!

[​IMG]
  12. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:
    ^ I was going to quote the same pic, awesome. That bush or is it a cacti? on the right looks trippy
  13. mbabc

mbabc Journeyman Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Great ride report of an area I'd love to explore someday on a moto. Took a family trip there several years back and had a great time.

...and thanks for several new background images for my desktop! Fantastic stuff!
  14. CalamariKid

CalamariKid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Inspiring, entertaining, and each picutre is like a visual french pastry. Thank you for sharing this!
  15. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome, awesome, awesome shot.
  16. hyperboarder

hyperboarder Potato Farmer

Oddometer:
    I hate how awesome your pictures are. They make mine look like garbage :D. Carry on.
  17. RonSJC

RonSJC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Great ride report. what camera are you using. Great shots!
  18. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I head down the hill towards St. George.

[​IMG]

I made it all the way to town without the low fuel warning, so now I'm kicking myself for not riding out to the tip of Twin Point.

[​IMG]

At first an internet search revealed no KTM dealers. That's because its actually in the nearby suburb of Washington, UT.
    After an excruciatingly long death-stare into the computer screen (at least 8-10 minutes) the guy at
    the parts counter confirmed what I already knew, No KTM dealer EVER stocks the part you need.

[​IMG]

Plan B: Surely all that needs to be done is to weld the broken tube shut and I'll be back in business.
    At the welding shop I get a crash course in metallurgy and how the petcock is pot metal. They said they couldn't weld it.
    Luckily one of the welders, a young guy with a full beard named Mac, rode dirt bikes and told the boss how he could fix me up.
    At first I was reluctant to go with his idea of making a new part and considered trying the JB Weld route.
    Mac cleaned and wire-brushed the broken part for me and I was about to leave when he convinced me to let him make the part.

[​IMG]

The Broken OEM Part

[​IMG]..........[​IMG]

The New Part

[​IMG]

Throughout all of the repairs I kept an eye on the clock with the intention of making it back out to Kelly Point by sunset.
    After the part was made Mac and I made multiple attempts to align and seal the gas in with different o-rings, with no success.
    I left the welding shop with a new part, but no way to seal the gas in. It was almost 2 PM when I picked up a tube of gasket maker.
    Even if I left town now, I would have a hard time making it all the way out to a point before dark.
    Making a gasket was not a job I wanted to rush so I ended up checking into the La Quinta hotel for the night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was nice to have a shower after working on the bike in the heat wearing waterproof pants. Yuck!

[​IMG]

I had some dinner while I let the new gasket dry.

[​IMG]..........[​IMG]

I then rode around town looking for groceries and taking in the sights.
    The most prominent part of the skyline was the St. George Temple.

[​IMG]
  19. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I agree. I don't like pushing myself to uncomfortable limits when alone. Thanks!

Thanks for coming along again, DesertSurfer!

Yes. I left many reasons to go back...
  20. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks, srhayes! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed even my old reports.

Biebs, Some of my shots are staged in the sense that I seek out scenic spots to camp and even think about which direction to park the bike and place the tent that will work best for the photos. That one is a single exposure with the real sky in the background though.

CaseyB, The bigger plant behind the bike is a Joshua Tree, a species that pretty much only grows in the Mojave Desert. In front of it is a cholla cactus.