Husky TR650 - New Owners Stupid Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by HighFive, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Chazbo

Chazbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "If that's not high tech enough for you Uber types, then make a measuring rod of your own (from a stick, clothes hanger, plastic straw, or something from Sweet Thang's makeup draw……amazing all the useful gadgets hiding in there (for bike maintenance). Measuring from the top of the metal threads (flush with entry hole) its 2" to Max level and 4" to Min level.

Hip-hip-hooray!

HF :thumb "

See http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/oil-change-drama.30550/ for some ideas.
  2. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    anything that wants to cross-thread that easily....I'll turn it backwards until it sets down in the threads flat - then slowly try to get the threads started.
  3. mwgak

mwgak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Should I really have just sold my cherry Honda 919 so the little lady won't make me find other (although arguably more hospitable...the dogs are always happy when I bring a new bike home) sleeping arrangements when my new Husky gets off the boat next month? I really loved that bike and I have yet to ride this thing...hope you guys haven't been lying to me.
  4. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Touring mode with 2 x six packs on board!

[​IMG]

I share the same bags with my R80

[​IMG]

Cape Yorke I carried water!
  5. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    How's that E-07 going on the back Davo?
  6. davorallyfan

Oddometer:
    This is about my 10th Mitas EO7 rear (the fronts are not so good).

When I first bought them 2004? they were very slippery on wet tar. The new ones are much better (and a bit more expensive). They have a square profile and there is a bit of a step as you lean over. Never had a flat on them.

The one on the R80 is still on my bike. Its done 12,000 km. its been to cape yorke 8,000 round trip. Then it did two 1000 km days to SA and back - high temp tar tire and the 50 km commute - it is square. I do at least 40,000 each year on the bikes. I'm 51 and have never owned a car always the bike. Value for money there is no better option for 50/50 riding. Don't get me wrong I love sticky tyres and agressive knobs but in the long run there is no better rear to my knowledge.

Most singles are hard on tyres and chains. The TR is a smoothie so maybe it will be a bit gentler?
  7. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I run them on the back of my 87 Transalp too, never a flat.

Does the Terra spin it up easily?
  8. davorallyfan

Oddometer:
    Spin it up?

On tar with standard gearing it is does not really spin the rear on acceleration (dry roads) like other singles. It is a bit soft down low - unless you dial the revs and drop the clutch. It will pick up the front wheel in first (standard gearing) after about 5500 rpm if you give it the berries off the throtle then you can go through the gears and drop it down at about 90-100 kph in 3rd. I am crap at wheelies.

[​IMG]

I said it was soft down low - its still makes good traction and can pull up steep inclines suprisingly well and at low revs - weird - but good
  9. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Oh man.....it's gonna be a sweet ride for Alaska. Think you'll love it. It's got the road manners of a big bike, with some fun small-bike behaviors. It's a great "in-betweener" of sorts.

Every time I ride it, I find myself saying, "where did the bulk go?" Very compact and nimble feeling in motion. Hard to describe, but the TR650 kind of disappears when you get on it. Fun...fun...fun!

You'll just have to get some side racks on it to carry a couple Rotopax for spare fuel for the backcountry. I'm averaging around 175 - 200 miles range per tank, though I've not run it dry yet, to find the limit.

HF :thumbup
  10. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:
    Looks like your husky badges are peeling off too... One of mine fell off so I peeled the other one off too.
  11. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Update on what I'm experiencing. I rode 387 miles today, and about 400 last weekend. I am getting a very consistent 59 miles per gallon average.

My last fill-up today was 3.03 gallons after 178 miles traveled. So, that is indicating a total range between 225 - 250 miles per tank.....if you run it dry.

I need to strap on m Rotopax and run her out to confirm. Anybody else tested the limit yet?

HF :ear
  12. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    One of mine went at 600 miles, I'm at about 2800, the other is going to go. I too will probaby just pull it off.
  13. hansi

hansi Teurer Abenteurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had to do a way faster than speed limit run on the Interstate for an hour or so today to try to make an appointment. Windy, gusty conditions, lots of big trucks on the road.
    The front end of the Terra really felt overly light, doing a slight head-shake every time passing trucks and catching the turbulence's from the gusty wind off the trucks. Not like a heart stopping, oh sh*% situation, but very uncomfortable for longer periods of time. :huh
    Thinking that's that very large high front fender catching the wind? Maybe the Metzler Sahara front getting a little squirrly at speed? Combination of both? Whats your experience?

Will switching to a different front tire solve that?

Anybody want to trade their low Strada fender for my high Terra fender perhaps?

And yes,yes, I know I should take it easier on the throttle, leave myself more time, but this is the way I am :D.
  14. Ken Woods

Ken Woods Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, this should be interesting. Where are you getting yours from?
  15. davorallyfan

Oddometer:

A lot of singles get blown around in traffic - light bike.

I run sleeker acerbis motard guards on my R80 and did on my DR - it hleped a bit. I think the standard guard is pretty aero.

Take the guard off and see if it helps.
  16. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:

I would almost take you up on that, but it won't work. You'll have to mod the low Strada fender to fit the 21" wheel/tire up front. There are a lot of guys running low fenders on dual-sports these days and loving it though. I was convinced that it would be problematic until I read Walter Colebatch's last ride report. He proved that a low fender works great, even in EXTREME conditions.
  17. trapperj

trapperj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Strada which comes with the low fender. It may be a little better than the high fender...but at higher interstate speeds the bike gets blowed around. As others have said...it's a light weight bike and is kinda expected. I added hand guards too. Not much difference IMHO as far as buffeting.

The fender is cheap enough to try. Just don't expect it to be a major transformation. Ymmv.
  18. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    I have 21/18" wheels with Heide K60's waiting on me when I return in June. They'll be put on my Strada. The front fender experiment will happen then, since I'll have both fenders and the big wheels to play with. I will definitely post results.
  19. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A lot of what you're experiencing is the turbulence being transmitted from you body and arms through the bikes handlebars. It's a natural reaction to become tense and grip the bars tightly when just the opposite helps. Relax your grip and even try riding with one hand. I know it sounds crazy bit it works. No matter what mods you do you will never completely correct it. It kinda like riding in sand, go with the flow don't fight it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark
  20. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    I ran 85mph for a long stretch yesterday.....passing traffic.....in wind. My Terra was rock solid, very planted. No significant buffeting to be concerned with.

I did not have my saddlebags on the bike, so no heavy rear-end load. Hansi didn't say whether or not he was heavy laden in the rear.....which could lighten the front end. Just curious. But, I was heavy loaded last weekend running at 75 mph with no problems.....didn't notice any difference in handling.

I think the front fender design is superb on the Terra. Stiff and sleek....don't think it's a factor (like the big floppy fender on m old 2005 KLR). Could be your tire, tire balance (lack of), wheel bearings (doubtful....on new bike), axle torque, headstop adjustment. Just possibly places to check.

Remove tire and re-balance. Make sure you center the forks...un-bind them when tightening the front axle. Leave the pinch bolts loose after tightening the axle nut to proper torque. Then compress the forks a few times (pump up & down) from the bars WITHOUT applying front brake. This centers and frees the fork action on the axle. Then, tighten the pinch bolts.

Make sure there is no free-play in the steering stem. Elevate bike on a lift-stand, grab the forks near the bottom and push back and forth (toward the back then toward you....rear to front). There should to be any movement or slop. If so, you need to adjust the steering stem a little bit tighter. If you don't know how to do that, ask here later, after ou have looked it over for reference.

My Terra feels as rock solid going down the road at speed, as my F800GS.....which is a very high standard of comparison (with the $2k suspension mod on the F800). So glad to say my Terra stock suspension is working terrific. I have 2,500 miles on my Terra.

Personally, I hate low fenders. Been pure grief for me in sticky/rocky mud. One reason I bought the Terra, believe it or not, was the high fender setup. My KTM 950 was converted to to a high fender. Been unable to figure out a suitable conversion for my F800. Loving the Terra setup....already done right.

HF :thumbup