Installing BMW Navigator V GPS on KTM 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by fhammond, Jan 13, 2014.

1. fhammond

fhammond Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought an 1190 R last week and wanted to mount a new BMW Navigator V GPS to it. I purchased the Nav V because I get a good discount from a local BMW dealer and I like the GPS: it’s got the functions I want off-road and a four-button cradle that’s easy to use when riding.

Since the 1190 R and Nav V is a new combo, I thought I’d share how I put it together. I did the installation last night and it’s working really well.

The Nav V’s cradle has a split cable with two sockets at the end: a plug for power and one to plug in to a 2014 BMW GS or RT, so that the GPS can use the controller on the handle bars (which I’ve gotta admit is pretty cool!) The controller cable won’t work on the 1190 and the cradle’s power connector isn’t compatible with the KTM’s accessory power connector.

Fortunately, BMW sells a cable with a female plug one end and bare wires on the other end. It is BMW part number 83 30 0 413 586 and looks like this (the yellow cable on the left; there's another view of it here):

[​IMG]

Three wires come into the back of this connector, arranged in a triangular pattern (i.e,. the outer two wires come into the connector at the same level, while the middle one is slightly higher). The wires are all the same color but if you’re looking at the back of the connector, with the top of the “triangle” pointed up, the outer cable on the right is ground, the outer cable on the left is power and the middle cable is unused.

The KTM’s accessory cable uses blue (eight gauge) spade connectors, so I crimped two of these onto the ends of the BMW cable.

The 1190’s accessory power is a little tricky to find: it’s located under the cigarette adapter to the left of the instruments. I’ve read on Adv about some people removing a bunch of panels to get to the accessory power area but I found that this wasn’t necessary. I used a small telescoping mirror to get a good look at the underside of the accessory area and found that there was a gap small enough to get my fingers into (and it seems like the gap is designed to do this). I was able to pull out the two pairs of accessory cables.

The pairs are labelled ACC1 and ACC2. ACC1 supplies power constantly and ACC2 is keyed to the ignition. I plugged the spade connectors from my BMW cable into ACC2 and the GPS powered up successfully when I turned the ignition on. Here's how it looked before I finished the wiring; the BMW connector is at the bottom of the picture, attached to the yellow cable.

[​IMG]

To mount the GPS to the bike, I used three RAM products:
    • Plate and 1” ball that attaches to back of the Navigator V cradle (RAM-B-347U)
    • One inch long arm with ball sockets on each end (RAM-B-201U-A)
    • Handlebar clamp base that replaces one of the bolts on the handlebars with a bolt that has a 1” ball on the top. (RAM-B-367U) And, if you’re getting all picky, the repair manual says the handlebar bolt should be torqued to 20 NM.

I’ve used this setup on another bike and it works really well, keeping the GPS out of the way while still being visible. Oh, one annoying thing is that the RAM plate for the GPS cradle doesn’t come with any connecting bolts. Fortunately, I had this already from another project; if I figure out the right RAM part number for the bolt set, I’ll update this post.

Lastly, I zip tied all the wiring and gently pushed the whole coil back through the gap and into the space under the cigarette lighter. It fit without any problems but I also shortened the yellow BMW cable or even just used the cradle's built in connector and cut off the BMW connector, replacing it with spade connectors. However, I wanted to keep the cradle intact and the approach I took worked ok.

I hope someone finds these instructions useful; here’s the final result:

[​IMG]
    pedropoc, PaveMint and Barekat like this.
  2. PatSmith

PatSmith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much. I took my BMW Nav IV of my GSA and want to put it on my 1190 but assumed the wiring was going to be a problem.
    Do you recall if the connector that you bought has round pins of flat connectors. My Nav wiring harness has round pins.
  3. fhammond

Oddometer:
    The BMW connector I purchased - the one with the three yellow wires - is a female connector with square connectors for the small pins in the Navigator V's cradle cable.

Here's a close up picture of that cable, courtesy of Schtum, who responded to me in another thread on the same subject:

[​IMG]

Can you post a picture of the cable on the Nav IV's cradle? Does it look like this?

[​IMG]

I'd thought the cradles were the same between the Nav IV and Nav V but it looks like maybe they are not. A BMW dealer should be able to help; all you need is a cable that has a female connector for the Nav IV on one end and bare wires on the other.
  4. PatSmith

Oddometer:
    I'm technology challenged and have never tried to post pictures here.
    I just looked at my two connectors and they look the same as the ones you pictured here. My power connector is the two pin connector with the black housing. Is your power connector 2 pin?
  5. PatSmith

Oddometer:
    I looked again to see if the other connector is 3 pin and it is a 3 pin connector. Odd that when connecting to the bmw, I used the 2 pin connector but for the KTM i need the 3 pin.
  6. PatSmith

Oddometer:

Ok, wiring is always a challenge to me, but i think i figured it out with this information.

"Three wires come into the back of this connector, arranged in a triangular pattern (i.e,. the outer two wires come into the connector at the same level, while the middle one is slightly higher). The wires are all the same color but if you’re looking at the back of the connector, with the top of the “triangle” pointed up, the outer cable on the right is ground, the outer cable on the left is power and the middle cable is unused. "
  7. PatSmith

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the part number for the harness. I ordered it today from A&S.
  8. Jensdccom

Jensdccom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the "Spade connector blue eight gauge". What would it be in Europe? You have a lot of different measurements
  9. fhammond

Oddometer:
    There's a link in my first post that shows what the spade connector looks like. Here it is again:

[​IMG]

The picture shows the female connector. This is what the bike has - at least in the US. You need to purchase the male connector to plug in the GPS.
  10. dgardel

dgardel Orange contaminated

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

(J2-1) Brown = ground
    (J2-2) Blue/Green = Speed Pulse (only for BMW)
    (J2-3) Red/White = 12V (suggest to ACC2 switched power cable)

J1 is the CANBUS connection for the "dialogue" from bike and navi (Navi display motorbike infos like ext. Temp., error messages.....) on K 1600 GT / GTL

see here
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ADV67 likes this.
  11. Jensdccom

Jensdccom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My dealer attached the heated grips to ACC2 as they need to be switched. Otherwise they would kill my battery. I would like to attach my GPS also to a switched pair. What would you guys do? Cut into the wires in the front of the bike (use the same acc2 as the heated grips) or use the ACC2 under the seat?

Ty!
  12. dgardel

dgardel Orange contaminated

Oddometer:
    heated grips have the X28 dedicated connectors, not the "generic" ACC2 (also for the temp regolation) :deal

[​IMG]
  13. wclaus1

wclaus1 1st rule of bikeclub is..

Oddometer:
    In a van, down by the river. 40º18'N, 75º18'W
    Thanks for the post about the GPS install. I am in the process of doing the same task.
    You must have some tiny fingers, or they changed the length of the wiring!
    There was no way for me to grab onto the ACC1 and ACC2 wires.
    After much panel removing and cursing KTM, I found that if you remove the gauges, you can pop open the wiring cover where the display cable goes through and have access to the wiring.
    20151009_150905.jpg
    anoldsman and RiderRider like this.
  14. OZ-Kris

OZ-Kris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this post! It helped me having the correct part numbers. Cheers to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. 5T500

5T500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi guys..
    ..after i found flammond's thread about installing a nav 5 to a ktm, i decided to buy a used one. instead of using a female plug from bmw, i like to hook it direct to my battery with a fuse.

i am lost with the two connection at the end of the split cable. i believe i should use the connector with the three wires (no. 2) From following the triangle pattern, i think the black wire would be ground, the red is 12 volts and the purple color is not used.
    i suppose the connector 1 is for the wheel connection on the left grip.

i would appreciate any inputs from your end regarding this.

thanks.
    12.JPG IMG_5103.JPG 2.JPG 12.JPG IMG_5103.JPG 2.JPG 2b.JPG
  16. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
  17. 5T500

5T500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks slartidbarfast...found the configuration.
    I will try to hook the wires to my battery with a fuse on the positive side.
    I used it today and was impressed on its features compared to my old car unit.
    I could see the map even on heavy sunlight.
    the battery unit lasted about two hours of riding.
  18. lr-80

lr-80 lr-80

Oddometer:
    The battery isn't made for permanent power. Eventually it will die, and any disturbances in voltage will cause it to instantly shut down, requiring soft reset. I suggest you use the switched power or a relay to ignition.
  19. 5T500

5T500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i was able to hook the nav 5 to my battery.
    I made female connectors and squeezed it to the plastic with 3 pin wires.
    my one end is connected with 12 volts at all times.
    I just separate the connections once done using the gps.
    works ok for my needs.
    pin.JPG pin2.JPG pin3.JPG pin4.JPG pin.JPG pin2.JPG pin3.JPG pin4.JPG
  20. skid06

skid06 n00b

Oddometer:
    on the 3 pin plug coming from the cradle, red, black, purple, is red 12v and black ground?