RTW with Noah on a KTM 690

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RoninMoto, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, CTRN Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Reminds me of "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathan Swift.

JG
  2. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Haha.. I knew the dog thing would get some comments going. I had a chance to try horse in Italy but I didn't. Now I wish I would have. Gotta try it once.

I'm in Dushanbe now. Yesterday the bike started giving me some error codes so today I'll be troubleshooting. I'll try to update with pictures if I get the bike sorted. I posed on the 690 thread and someone replied to my post:

"Karma for the pooch snacking?" :rofl

Gotta love ADV.
  3. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    Tom,
    No wonder you have this van parked by your store front in Lutsen. It's all making sense now.

[​IMG]

Thanks for taking the time to update this thread Noah. Life's a garden, dig it! Keep on keeping on.
  4. jimmydteach

jimmydteach Living the Dream Supporter

Oddometer:
    Noah. Just got caught up with the entirety of your report. This is just so great. Beside being a traveller and motorcyclist, I am also an English teacher. I wish that I could set up a class for my students (high school in Indiana) that focused on the history of adventure literature. I'd start with early explorers' journals, and work up to your adventure. Beside your having the "everyman" quality that makes this so appealing (along with great photos and adventure), I really enjoy how the replies creates a text within the text. This is a story that grows exponentially. Keep up the good work; you have so many people travelling with you right now!:clap:clap:clap
  5. Kirkster

Kirkster Parts Murderer

Oddometer:
    LoL. No pressure or anything.

Does he have to shave for the Video Call?
  6. Knoen

Knoen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Noah, fantastic RR, been following you since the start! Would be great to buy you a few beers once you get to Tokyo (if that's on the itinerary?), can offer a place to stay and safe parking too if needed. I'll send you PM.

Ride on mate!
  7. Arikauf

Arikauf Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys (and Noah),
    I'm following Noah on FB as well, and he has just posted the following--I figured I'd cross-post as he may not have had time and maybe someone on here could help:

"To all my moto-nerd friends. My Regulator Rectifier is kaput.
    1. What motos/Atvs run a mosfet type Reg/Rec from the facotry.
    2. Does anyone know where I can find a Shindengen FH020AA in Europe? Or better yet central Asia? I will have to ship one in."

Hope this helps, Noah!
  8. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    I'll go to the bazaar here in Dushanbe and try to find a reg/rec to replace the one I have. It will probably be from a Chinese scoot but if it doesn't give me voltage spikes for a few days thats all I need. I sent an email to Roadcycle.com in the US. That is who I bought the Shindengen FH020AA for my 2010 moto. I'll try to get one DHL'd to Almaty or Bishkek.
  9. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Wow. Thank you. wow. I'm not sure what to say but thank you. Maybe when I make it back state side in a couple years I can try to stop by your school. Of course I must warn.. I am way more boring than this thread leads to believe.

Ps. My mom is always telling me about my gramatical errors. Please overlook them as you read :D

I probably could do something like that when I get to good internet.
  10. jimmydteach

jimmydteach Living the Dream Supporter

Oddometer:

Dude, I really don't care about the errors. I am just lovin' the thread. If you think you may want to deal with high school kids, then we'd be lucky to have you. I would guarantee you meals, beverages, and a bed to sleep in.
  11. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    did you manage to find one...i accidentally deleted your message (i was working :baldy) if you don't find one let me know and i'll get one heading your way somehow...PM me or email
  12. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
  13. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I did some editing with the "no internet time" I had in Tajikistan. I had quite a few random clips from the past 14 months of travel. I figured a random video was the best way to tell a story because there was not enough to actually tell my story. :deal Does that make sense?

Here is "One Year of Random". Enjoy.

Jean-Luc and Cro59 like this.
  14. ericGSsti

ericGSsti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool video. Peter will be delighted he got his bald head in it. Lol
  15. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    :clap
  16. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
  17. Long Trail

Long Trail ADV Ready Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanx for the video
  18. nanox14

nanox14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice video noah, waiting for the next update :deal
  19. Fishfund

Fishfund Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Noah, I'm sorry that the bike I sold you developed the same regulator problem. I'm also very happy that you didn't go through 3 months of confusion, two KTM dealers and the cold shoulder at KTM Austria before my trusty Garmin 276C spotted the voltage spikes and ended my misery.

Push starting my bike in front of KTM head quarters in Austria is something that I will never forget.

I don't want this to sound bitter towards KTM. It's all water under the bridge now. I love how KTM pushes hard for performance and keeps their bikes light. I was just one of the very few unlucky guys. Now bring that 390 duke to America so I can have a town bike.
  20. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I'll try and do some updates in the next few days. I just put new rubber on the front. The Karroo 2 had no more knobblies left on her in the middle. Made the mud on the Pamir interesting. :D

No worries Fishfund. Both my 690s have been great. And yes.. I think the 390 is scheduled for 2014 if the Rumors are correct. Please buy one and put er through the ringers. I have my eye on that motor for my next ADV bike. Smaller lighter faster.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.