Husky TR650 - New Owners Stupid Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by HighFive, Dec 23, 2012.

1. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:

If davor doesn't have any-----I've got some.

Cycra Pro-Bend Handguards It seems to always take a little bending of the thick aluminum to make them fit---but I always get it done. It helps to heat the aluminum a bit-----not too hot---when bending. I had to cut the ball end of the clutch and brake levers off to make it all work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You have the option to attach these to the handlebars---------I never do that.
    There's just not much room there sometimes and this is so much better.
    When you order these you have to decide which mount to order---this is the side triple tree mount.
    Some bikes would mount to the front of the triple tree---and then you have the handlebar option and you'll need to
    specify the diameter of your bars when ordering.
    I had to use longer bolts to attach this to the triple tree as these side mounts are very thick.

[​IMG]

Then later on I mounted high powered LED lights to the handguards---these make daylight out of dark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. kjackbrown

kjackbrown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice BDA! I did not know they offered those triple mount attachments, thank you for posting!

Kev.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was told that they were taking the bike I test rode for measurements in early January. They were also going to look at radiator guards.
  4. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    Just went out to wash my bike and find broken plastic like big-t.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I'm at least 90% pavement, 2112 miles on the bike. The off pavement I've done is gravel roads, nothing serious.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just had a ring from B+B to confirm that they have their TR650 parts ready to go.
    They have the following;

Bash plate
    Rear rack
    Master cylinder cover (rear presumably)
    Rear disc protector

They are taking orders now and products should be available in about a week.

There are issues with a radiator guard as we know. they are looking at relocating or modifying the front mud guard to see if they can create enough room behind it to mount a radiator guard.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer

Oddometer:

This is starting to be a worrying trend.
  7. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. kjackbrown

Oddometer:
    Me too....

Bashplate $245<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Master cylinder guard $38<o:p></o:p>
    Rear Luggage Plate $90<o:p></o:p>
    Rear disc guard $55<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    These should be ready to go by middle of next week<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Cheers<o:p></o:p>
    Wendy<o:p></o:p>
  9. kjackbrown

Oddometer:
    X2....gonna just invest the $$$$ for the RG Racing Tidy Tail and worry about it. I haven't seen US pricing yet, but on their site it comes upp to ~$170USD after shipping from UK. I imagine the US distributors are going to be about the same cost :waysad
  10. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Regarding the rear fender breaking, the problem is poor design IMO. You cannot expect the brittle plastic used for the assembly to be adequate for load bearing over time. Bigdog... check out the WR250R assembly for comparison, they use a steel brace that is bolted directly to the frame. The Terra is a great bike, but there are at least three areas that are clearly under-engineered compared to most modern bikes - the footpeg/kickstand/rear-brake assemblies and that rear fender. I doesn't look like an aftermarket fender would be easy to make either. I too dropped the license plate bracket, but I'm not confident that will do the trick in the long run - and I still want the reflectors that are now missing.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Owners should not have to be creating workarounds or buy third party accessories to replace failed components that are poorly engineered on bikes that are less than two months old.
    Unless these bikes have obvious signs of misuse that is not apparent in the photos this should be a straight out warranty issue.
  12. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fair point.

I do not have this problem yet - I have not ridden any rough stuff (no bashplate).

I wonder what the wait will be for Husky:

1. To acknowledge that there is an issue (which there seems to be?)and
    2. Provide an improved replacement part.

I think they will take ages ...so ...yep a work around.

I tried to order the product mentioned earlier re tail tidy. 20UK pounds for postage!

Is it available somewhere in the USA?
  13. kjackbrown

Oddometer:
    There are many US distributors.....look on the link I posted and click Partners
  14. kjackbrown

Oddometer:
  15. Nev..

Nev.. wannabe advrider

Oddometer:
    They have a NZ reseller listed on their website. An email to them might be the go.
  16. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Been gone a fair bit.....riding my Berg in the BBRSP (Big Bend Ranch State Park), so just catching up on the Thread.

I would have took my Terra, but the skid plate I ordered from Motosportz had not arrived in time (still hasn't delivered yet).

Anyway, Inspected my rear fender for cracking and It is fine. That after some considerable amount of jumping on my track and rough dirt road riding.....with the heavy metal plate still attached. A relief for sure. Think I'll do the BigDog Tail Mod post haste.

HF
  17. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    Pondering no longer. Atomic Moto had a deal on the Giant Loop stuff, and after much back and forth between the Coyote and Great Basin, I went with the Coyote. $260 shipped.

Primary factor for going with the Coyote was I wanted something that would work on my WR250R too, and I figured the Great Basin would be too big. As soon as the brown truck left I stuffed the coyote full of things and set about the test fitting on the Strada. It fits really well, I think it sits high enough that the exhaust is not a factor. I looped the rear center strap through the rack, and the sides around the pegs. I've been staring at all sorts of Coyote pics trying to get a sense of how it would work, and it looked promising. With it here and test fit on both of my bikes I'm really impressed. With 0 miles on it I call it a winner. We'll see. See the fitment note after the last picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the left side the care must be taken to get the strap routed low on the peg mount. Up high and I think it's to close to the exhaust. Wasn't as close at all on the right side.
  18. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    Dealer suggested this work around for getting the bike the 50 miles to their shop with the broken fender. If you find yourself with a broken fender and need a temporary fix to limp home/to dealer, this worked really good. You'll need a drill and a cable tie. The drill is not something I carry, but I discovered issue in the garage thank goodness.

[​IMG]
  19. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    My workaround, pre break, is to strap that sucker up to the luggage rack to try and prevent problems until a good solution can be found. All the break pics show the crack starting at the corners of the plastic tab that engages the white plastic upper piece. That is a fatigue crack starting at an inside corner. Classic case of that. I don't see Husky doing anything about this, at least on our bikes. Sad to say that, but my guess is that they will be like the three monkeys. Come on Husky NA, please prove me wrong! 'Wonder if they even read ADVR.

The fender needs additional support toward the rear; positive support. Maybe it can be done from inside with a fabricated piece going to the luggage rack mount tabs. With no shop manual, the only way to see the configuration of the sub-frame rear is to take off the bodywork. I will be doing that, but it will have to wait a little while.
  20. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    My skid plate and fat bar clamps arrived!

[​IMG]

Now then....I can finally get down to some more serious biznuss. :nod

I will say these parts from Motosportz appear very well made. Sturdy is an understatement. The skid plate is a bomb shelter. Though, I'm not real fond of the extra holes in the bottom side. Still gonna need some front engine protection, as mentioned by others. Time to dig around my spares shed....see if I can find anymore unwanted KLR parts. :lol3

Oh, its on!

HF :thumbup

p.s. Krussell....I'm digging that Coyote Bag. Looks like a great solution, and would probably fit on my Berg also. Hhhmmm....