Anyone not like their Super Tenere?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by pluric, Jul 16, 2012.

1. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully this will be a REALLY short thread. It seems all you read is how much
    owners like their S10. I was just wondering if there is anyone who regrets the
    purchase and why?

Don't turn this into a love fest. I would like hear from the haters.:ear
  2. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Why?
  3. Zeke013

Zeke013 Village Idiot

Oddometer:
    Looks for reasons not to buy one, I'd wager.
  4. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like he is on the back wheel on one in his avatar....:evil

I absolutely hate my Tenere because it is invisible, and I can't ever find it...:cry

:wink:
    WoodrowBDR likes this.
  5. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should they also post their address, phone number and facebook page? :ear

You're just trying to figure out where the next Tenere Rally is going to be aren't you?
  6. hayfarmer

hayfarmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whats wrong Pluric, are you bored?
  7. K0m4

K0m4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, seems like as happy as folk in the threads on the bike are, that my response would be the closest to the issue, even though I never actually got to have one...

BUT... I don't like it when a company out of pure laziness chooses to back out of a deal. I work in a quasi-diplomatic setting, so I'm entitled to import one new motor vehicle every two years without taxes or any other governmental fees. I'd signed and sealed everything with the dealership, when the central Yamaha Austria told them they could not sell the bike under the conditions we had agreed. Apparently it turned out to be too much paper work for Yamaha Austria, who rather than having another Tenere on the streets of Austria, forced the dealer to pull out of the deal. This in a country where the number of Super Teneres rolling on the roads can be counted with single digits, if the dealer gave me half way correct information. Outright stupid and lazy, if you ask me.

So, again, this has little to nothing to do with the bike itself, but I'm not sure I'll be looking at Yamahas next time I'm in the market for a new bike. I got myself a used DL1000 instead, and actually I'm happy I did, because although I had very limited seat time on the Super Tenere (test drive of about 3 hours), this bike seems to really float my boat.
  8. SuperCruise

SuperCruise Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2 years and 37000kms on and the only regret I have is that I didn't purchase it a couple of months before when it was first released in Australia. That's a little regret amidst a whole lotta love. :D
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  9. wfopete

wfopete Suffer Fools; Gladly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well there's some bait.

I could copy/paste all my previous evil Tenere' comments but then everyone else could just copy/paste their responses. Companies are building complete wheel sets, handlebars, skid plates ect. to address the S10's failings off road. And that's what bugs me, Yamaha could have made this bike so much better for off road without sacirificing it's street manners. To add salt to the wound is that Yamaha has made it so hard to get the bike happier to be off road. On the other hand, maybe it just takes a lot more work to develop off road products for a street bike motor/bike. I will say that it is strange that a guys like Greg at WASP spends months (or is it years now) trying to get a S10 more likable for off road and gets standing ovations for his efforts. But for every change that he makes he is, in fact, saying that he thinks the bike could be better (or really sucks) and from his fan base seems a whole lot of others agree. Woody is building wheels like crazy for people who want a better off road performance from this bike.
    For every aftermarket part that offered for the S10 is done so because someone perceives a need for it. I've never seen a bike that as taken so long to develop a sensible bash plate for. If you call a $400-$700 bash plate sensible. On the other hand, it just takes a lot more work to develop a bash plate for a street bike and that could be said for almost anything you want to change on the bike to make it better off road. The sad thing is with all it's failings the Tenere' is still at the top of it's class (if you discount the KTM). Why? Because the BMW, Triumph, Duc and the rest are all street bikes dressed up to be something else. So is the Tenere' but the S10 offers Yamaha reliability, dealerships and price. Bingo. Instant market share. None of these bikes give me what I want but the S10 comes the closest.

Ok fire up the torches sharpen your pitch forks.
  10. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    It's too fucking heavy. There, I said it. And I've ridden big bikes off road before, so bite me..

Other than that, I like it because it's a Yamaha.
    Motosapian and TexasAggie2008 like this.
  11. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    And, that explains wfopete's complaints.
  12. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just curious.

Too late.

Maybe, are you a cop?

I could have been a little bored last night. I just read so many positive remarks
    I wondered if there were any who had some negative feelings and what they were.
    Not stirring the pot.

I know when some post in the regular S10 threads they get jumped as Trolls.
    I'm guilty of flipping them shit too. So maybe if there was a place they could
    make legitimate comments they would. That's all.
  13. scottie boy

scottie boy Homebrew Guru

Oddometer:
    To be honest, I absolutely hated my bike when I first purchased it. I actually left my keys in the ignition while in the grocery store more than once. I was one of the unfortunate bastards to get a bike with vibration problems. The only thing that kept me going was the fact that everyone said the motor smoothes out with miles. There were many times when I forced myself to ride instead of wanting to ride. But I rode it. In fact, I rode it hard to force the motor to break in.

Thankfully, a year later its a totally different machine because the vibes have subsided greatly. Now I actually enjoy riding again. As a matter of fact, yesterday I purchased the YES extended warranty because I intend to keep this bike for a long time.
  14. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some valid comments. Wasp has been a busy boy.:D jaumev is another one who has taken his
    S10 to another level.

I also find that motorcycle owners tend to farkle up no matter what the original intent of the bike is.
    Dirt, street, Dual Sport we like our goodies.

I've had my Tenere in areas that pushed it's limits and a lighter weight would have been nice.
    That's been rehashed before. You start to trim it down and sacrifice strength for bags, fittings.
    mounts and pretty soon people are complaining it's fragile. The over built nature appeals to some.
  15. WRW9751

WRW9751 7th Day Adventurist

Oddometer:
    I concur!
  16. 1reddawg

1reddawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    i love the bike,but the seating position is killing me.(Severe Neck & Shouler pain) I am waiting for Seargent to come out with there seat for The Tenere,And hopefully that will solve my only issue the bike.
  17. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    Isn't that where ALL aftermarket parts stem from?? :scratch
  18. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put an inch bar riser on it. I like it better and didn't need to modify cables.
    Other than that I use an Airhawk for the seat. 5' 11" 32 inch inseam.
  19. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    Same size (5' 11" and 32" IS), I have the Corbin and raised my bars 1", worked fine to Alaska and back and several 12 hour days in the saddle. I may send the seat back for an adjustment to raise the front just a tad, if I ever get off the thing long enough.
  20. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it's tough gig for a manufacturer to cover every base. Look at BMW with their HP2. I've never
    seen one loaded up and heading down a road. So if you go too far one way or the other you can lose sales.

Manufacturers have to play it safe or appeal to a small market. I was not looking for a 1200 cc dirt bike.
    I wanted a replacement for my Strom that had a shaft drive. After having it off road, then more agressive off
    road, then stupid off road I couldn't help but be impressed with a side of the bike I didn't expect to have.

Yes it's heavy. Yes the KTM and HP2 are better off road. Yes the Yamaha is more versatile than one would think
    by stats and visual appearance.

I've had wheel bending issues and one fork seal leak. I've literally tried to get the bike to break. Other than
    the wheels the S10 just asks "Is that all you've got?"

Sorry, not trying to make this a praise thread. My weakness spots have been wheels, seals and the factory tank
    bag slides all over in the rough stuff. I did replace the OEM aftermarket plate too with an Altrider just to be a
    cautious with the sump area.