Cerro Gordo closure

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Hooliganrick, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Hooliganrick

Hooliganrick Adventure seeker

Oddometer:
    Read an advisory that Cerro Gordo will be closed until further notice. Any info as to being able to access Saline Valley road from Swansea road through or around Cerro Gordo? Or from East to west over and through down to the 136?
  2. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    In previous years, I have ridden north from Swansea, then east along the ridge line, past the tram towers. I always came out at CG, where I could go left/north to Saline or right/south to Keeler. I never found a way down to Saline without coming back to CG. Don't know if this answers your question....

FWIW
  3. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    You'd be hard pressed to get over this time of year, it was iced up all the down around 5500' a few weeks ago.

Cerro Gordo

[​IMG]

Swansea Cerro Gordo this time last year:

[​IMG]
  4. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    www.cerrogordo.us

Site says closed to visitors. Hopefully Robert is still hangin' around to keep an eye on things.

I would think you can still take the road up from Keeler (or Swansea), over the pass, down San Lucas to White Mtn Talc, and south to Saline Valley Rd (or vice versa).

Apparently, there was once a toll road going all the way down San Lucas to the floor of Saline Valley, but that is long gone.
    http://www.ghosttownexplorers.org/deathvalley/sanlucas/slc.htm
    (Now don't you guys go getting any crazy ideas :nono)

-M
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Swansea to Cerro Gordo is BLM road thru Wilderness corridor ( I got this put into a Finestein bill years ago).

The road from Keeler to Cerro Gordo and on up to the antennas is a county road.

Not sure but I think the road down Lucas is still unmaintained county road.

The old road on down Lucas to Saline was also a county road but abandond and now Wilderness. The guy in the last house on east side of 395 on he north end of Independance was county road commisioner just after WWII and maintained it. I worked with his son.
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  6. Hooliganrick

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input guys. Not going until the first week in March, and will have the jeep this time. Temps have been way up, so the roads(snow wise) should be clear. Can't get a real person on any of the contact numbers yet. Was hoping that the ghost town could be bypassed by using Swansea road, but it looks(maps) like it passes through it. Thats if it remains closed. But i'll keep trying, and anyone else that has input, it would be appreciated.
  7. Spank

Spank Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's 2 posts about this topic in the Death Valley Noobs Rally Thread (ADV Rider Annual Rallies).

Page 106 post #'s 1585 and 1586.
  8. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can just go right through town, closed or not....
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never gone thru before 1st of May.

Yes county road goes right between houses up to antennas.
  10. Hooliganrick

Oddometer:
    Thanks Spank....found it. Thats good news for sure. No snow....that is a change from my last two times on Saline Valley rd and through South Pass. Thanks again to you all.